The Mace -- What Matters

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
True

04 Jan 2016

I would like to see a discussion about this product based on things that matter (sound quality, DSP usage, etc.) so I can make an informed decision about what to look for during my trial of it. I can see the GUI for myself and don't really feel like wading through a bunch of pages on that topic, so perhaps we can stay focused here on the quality and performance of the device itself.

Thanks, guys!

MDTerps2015

04 Jan 2016

So you started a new thread because you waddled through the other thread and read the posts. If the gui doesnt make a difference in the development of a plug-in, then why is it such a big topic on the other thread? Also i have asked the same question as you many times and got this answer....."thats what the trial is there for".
150 paid RExtensions and still no Grammy

dvdrtldg

04 Jan 2016

Trying to corral a discussion into one topic alone is a waste of time, particularly when the topic you're trying to avoid is a legitimate one. GUI is part of a RE's design, whether it interests you or not. Anyway - your thread, good luck

True

05 Jan 2016

MDTerps2015 wrote:So you started a new thread because you waddled through the other thread and read the posts. If the gui doesnt make a difference in the development of a plug-in, then why is it such a big topic on the other thread? Also i have asked the same question as you many times and got this answer....."thats what the trial is there for".
Well, if you weren't so full of yourself you would understand from my previous post that the original thread was derailed by a GUI discussion, making it difficult to "waddle" through. And I specifically asked about things I should pay attention to during my trial run. Thanks for derailing this discussion.

True

05 Jan 2016

dvdrtldg wrote:Trying to corral a discussion into one topic alone is a waste of time, particularly when the topic you're trying to avoid is a legitimate one. GUI is part of a RE's design, whether it interests you or not. Anyway - your thread, good luck
Wow, you people insist on being negative, don't you? God forbid we have a legitimate thread with a legitimate focus. Instead, it's just a bunch of negativity on why I should just keep my mouth shut.

Welcome back, PUF. You were sorely missed.

vectro

05 Jan 2016

True wrote:things that matter (sound quality, DSP usage, etc.)
Ok, it is a very transparent compressor, i.e. it doesn't alter/color the sound though it has a modern and classic mode. The clean sound makes it suitable for mastering purposes but could also do well as a track compressor with a nice visual controls. It also does M/S and several other gimmicks like adjusting ADSR in tempo sync, soft clipping, external and highpassed internal sidechain and Dry/Wet for doing parallel compression without using parallel mix channels.

dvdrtldg

05 Jan 2016

True wrote:
dvdrtldg wrote:Trying to corral a discussion into one topic alone is a waste of time, particularly when the topic you're trying to avoid is a legitimate one. GUI is part of a RE's design, whether it interests you or not. Anyway - your thread, good luck
Wow, you people insist on being negative, don't you? God forbid we have a legitimate thread with a legitimate focus. Instead, it's just a bunch of negativity on why I should just keep my mouth shut.

If anything says "PUF", it's touchy bedwetters who interpret dissenting opinions as "negativity" and complain that others are trying to silence them. I'm not saying you should keep your mouth shut. I'm respectfully suggesting that your attempt to make a hard & fast distinction between "things that matter" and GUI is a doomed one, because not everybody shares your belief that GUI is unimportant

Best thing would be for you to cultivate the ability to scroll past posts that don't interest you, and focus on the ones that do. You know, like most other people seem able to manage

jappe

05 Jan 2016

True wrote:I would like to see a discussion about this product based on things that matter (sound quality, DSP usage, etc.) so I can make an informed decision about what to look for during my trial of it. I can see the GUI for myself and don't really feel like wading through a bunch of pages on that topic, so perhaps we can stay focused here on the quality and performance of the device itself.

Thanks, guys!
Hi True!

I bought it without trial today, based on the demo video and the good rating in the shop.
I hope to share some experience from it once I've dived into it.

selig
RE Developer

06 Jan 2016

dvdrtldg wrote:
True wrote:

If anything says "PUF", it's touchy bedwetters who interpret dissenting opinions as "negativity" and complain that others are trying to silence them. I'm not saying you should keep your mouth shut. I'm respectfully suggesting that your attempt to make a hard & fast distinction between "things that matter" and GUI is a doomed one, because not everybody shares your belief that GUI is unimportant

Best thing would be for you to cultivate the ability to scroll past posts that don't interest you, and focus on the ones that do. You know, like most other people seem able to manage
It does no good to want others to think/work like you do, nor to point out when they don't. We are all free to start our own threads that focus on specific aspects. Please stay on topic or move on (everyone).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

06 Jan 2016

I'm curious about how Mace "syncs" attack/release rates, since a rate implies it takes a different amount of time depending on how much gain reduction is applied. Maybe Lab One can reply with an explination if no one else knows?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

LABONERECORDINGS
RE Developer

06 Jan 2016

Sync mode does what it says on the tin... with sync ON the attack / hold / release speed is based on tempo, and simply reworks the time back to ms internally; ie.

"1/4 beat @ 127.5bpm to ms"

making it faster for EDM heads to work with, more for sidechaining effect (lots of artists have to work out BPM to ms for their projects, we just took that process out of the chain to keep workflow up)

The CLASSIC or MODERN modes determine the scaling rate (analog, digital), based on our own secret sauce :D

selig
RE Developer

06 Jan 2016

LABONERECORDINGS wrote:Sync mode does what it says on the tin... with sync ON the attack / hold / release speed is based on tempo, and simply reworks the time back to ms internally; ie.

"1/4 beat @ 127.5bpm to ms"

making it faster for EDM heads to work with, more for sidechaining effect (lots of artists have to work out BPM to ms for their projects, we just took that process out of the chain to keep workflow up)

The CLASSIC or MODERN modes determine the scaling rate (analog, digital), based on our own secret sauce :D
So your compressor adjusts attack/release rates based on the amount of gain reduction for each threshold crossing (is that even possible)? In other words, if there's 10 dB of gain reduction it takes exactly the same amount of time that 20 dB takes? Anyone?
Selig Audio, LLC

raccoonboy

06 Jan 2016

Just downloaded. Not had a proper listen yet, but had a mess about with the controls for 2 mins. Seems brilliant.

Here's a small suggestion though, holding shift before moving mouse left and right or up and down to lock it so you do not inadvertently move two dials at once. If that makes sense.

doctecazoid

06 Jan 2016

I'd be curious to hear what users who've used both the Mace and the C1-L1 have to say, with regard to similarities of and differences between the two compressors in terms of their sound, functions, latency and CPU load.

LABONERECORDINGS
RE Developer

06 Jan 2016

raccoonboy wrote:Just downloaded. Not had a proper listen yet, but had a mess about with the controls for 2 mins. Seems brilliant.

Here's a small suggestion though, holding shift before moving mouse left and right or up and down to lock it so you do not inadvertently move two dials at once. If that makes sense.
You can use just the threshold or makeup knobs on their own. Threshold in the display is adjusted by moving the mouse left to right, while makeup is up and down. We may add a 'lock' control feature into the display so users can set a 'preference' to what is being adjusted (lock threshold or lock makeup or leave both free) - modifier keys (shift, CTRL, Alt, Option) has no difference on the displays yet (not possible with current SDK)

raccoonboy

06 Jan 2016

LABONERECORDINGS wrote:
raccoonboy wrote:Just downloaded. Not had a proper listen yet, but had a mess about with the controls for 2 mins. Seems brilliant.

You can use just the threshold or makeup knobs on their own. Threshold in the display is adjusted by moving the mouse left to right, while makeup is up and down. We may add a 'lock' control feature into the display so users can set a 'preference' to what is being adjusted (lock threshold or lock makeup or leave both free) - modifier keys (shift, CTRL, Alt, Option) has no difference on the displays yet (not possible with current SDK)
Cheers. Yeah I realise this is possible through the knobs. Its just another option for lazy folk like me. Also, I didn't realise these keys didnt work in the current SDK. And tbh I'm just nitpicking cause I like different options but you've already done a great job and doesn't need much else from what I can see.

LABONERECORDINGS
RE Developer

07 Jan 2016

We're tweaking a couple of bits in the background now, v1.0.4 will be sent up soon, we may include the 'lock thresh/makeup' function if users want it.

raccoonboy

07 Jan 2016

Yes please from me. Had another play around today love the visualisation of audio coming through. Brilliant devices, sounds great too.

alex

08 Jan 2016

Yes please, a lock feature would be nice!
Ciao
The best things happen after reading the manual. ;)
:reason: :re: :refill: :ignition:

LABONERECORDINGS
RE Developer

08 Jan 2016

Ok we'll go in on this and get the extra 'lock' features added in

raccoonboy

08 Jan 2016

That's customer service for you :D

• Information