Mixfood Orange is in the shop!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
tumar

24 Mar 2015

"Mixfood Orange hosts 72 complex and rich waveforms"

Can't wait to try this with vocoder.

pbc278

24 Mar 2015

The slider issue is fixed, so in the next release they slide correctly ;-)
Greets from the Netherlands,
Studio Corbach
Bou

----------------------------     
GET MIXFOOD HERE

Exowildebeest

24 Mar 2015

JiggeryPokery wrote:Sounds really good.

Bass patches are wrong, though. A lot have been set to -24 semitones, which means few of 'em are playable below C3.  If it's a bass patch, people understand they've been set up to be played in the Bass range, no need to change the semitone value as well
I wouldn't consider that 'wrong' - I tend to do this too, because in my mind, people do what I do when browsing through patches: randomly pressing MIDI keys around C3 :)  It doesn't matter that much imo, but when programming patches, I usually aim for the sweetspot around C3 - not always possible and there are many exceptions, but in general, that's my method.

Ontopic: will definitely try this. Good to see quite a few Dutch developers doing RE's :)

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

24 Mar 2015

Exowildebeest wrote:
I wouldn't consider that 'wrong' - I tend to do this too, because in my mind, people do what I do when browsing through patches: randomly pressing MIDI keys around C3 :)  It doesn't matter that much imo, but when programming patches, I usually aim for the sweetspot around C3 - not always possible and there are many exceptions, but in general, that's my method.

What happens when you're previewing patches on an existing track? They will be two octaves too low, thus you'll have to transpose your sequencer track. This was something that always annoyed me ;)

IMO Bass patches should be set to be most playable around C0-C2, not C3-C4!! That's treble, not bass! :)

Exowildebeest

24 Mar 2015

Exowildebeest wrote:
JiggeryPokery wrote:

What happens when you're previewing patches on an
JiggeryPokery wrote:existing track
JiggeryPokery wrote:? They will be two octaves too low, thus you'll have to transpose your sequencer track. This was something that always annoyed me ;)

IMO Bass patches should be set to be most playable around C0-C2, not C3-C4!! That's treble, not bass! :)
True, it's a trade-off but... I can only say that I guess it's just what you're used to - it's a fairly trivial issue imo ;)

Exowildebeest

24 Mar 2015

Found a little buggybug btw: The LFO synced rate values do not correspond to their actual rate. A setting of 4/4, on bar, is actually 1/4.

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

24 Mar 2015

Exowildebeest wrote:
True, it's a trade-off but... I can only say that I guess it's just what you're used to - it's a fairly trivial issue imo ;)
Aye, that's why some of us have keyboards that are more than one or two octaves :P

pbc278

24 Mar 2015

Exowildebeest wrote:Found a little buggybug btw: The LFO synced rate values do not correspond to their actual rate. A setting of 4/4, on bar, is actually 1/4.
I fixed it already.. the scale needs to be devided by 4.. dunno what happend...
Will be in the next release...

Maybe I just did not look at the values because I'm always using my ears when playing... not my eyes so much I guess...

Thanks
Studio Corbach
Bou

GET MIXFOOD HERE

tibah

24 Mar 2015

Hm. Wasn't there another thread mentioning about 1.200 wave-forms about 10 days ago?

Nice UI change. Good luck with your first RE! :)

Exowildebeest

24 Mar 2015

Good :) Kudo's on the extreme LFO range btw, I sometimes see people asking for that on synths. Not that it gets used much, but it's nice to have such options.

Grinder One

24 Mar 2015

JiggeryPokery wrote: What happens when you're previewing patches on an existing track? They will be two octaves too low,
Excellent point !
pbc278 wrote: Maybe I just did not look at the values because I'm always using my ears when playing... not my eyes so much I guess...
ohh...nice 'get out' ;)

Anyway...lovin it lovin it. Great sounding synth. Nice patches but, init sound is where I like to go first. I'd like to say that all of the 77 shapes are really useful, so many times I scroll through shapes and think 'um what's the point' but I think you can backup the claim that these shapes have been carefully sampled and looped.
As soon as I found number 12, closely followed by 25, I had to try these two together and knew there and then that this is the synth for me. I just love pads. I named my first patch 'yam yam orange' as it sounded delicious :love:

Off now to go and buy and then play some more.... :comp:

Mart.

pbc278

24 Mar 2015

IchMensch wrote:Hm. Wasn't there another thread mentioning about 1.200 wave-forms about 10 days ago?

Nice UI change. Good luck with your first RE! :)
Well Public Handheld hosts 3500 ;-) but they are percussion-like samples. My 1200 samples are all carefully looped 1 by 1! That's a terrible job to do (it kills your ears).. But it's the quality I was after. I did not use any loop robot's type of software, just my eyes and ears and a good audio-editor...

This synth may have a few gui issues (funny sliders, funny lfo scales) but it can produce

A M A Z I N G    S O U N D S! 

All issues I fixed already and I'm uploading 1.0.1 right now ;-)

Studio Corbach
Bou

GET MIXFOOD HERE

pbc278

24 Mar 2015

JiggeryPokery wrote: What happens when you're previewing patches on an existing track? They will be two octaves too low,
Grinder One wrote: Excellent point !
pbc278 wrote: Maybe I just did not look at the values because I'm always using my ears when playing... not my eyes so much I guess...
Grinder One wrote: ohh...nice 'get out' ;)

Anyway...lovin it lovin it. Great sounding synth. Nice patches but, init sound is where I like to go first. I'd like to say that all of the 77 shapes are really useful, so many times I scroll through shapes and think 'um what's the point' but I think you can backup the claim that these shapes have been carefully sampled and looped.
As soon as I found number 12, closely followed by 25, I had to try these two together and knew there and then that this is the synth for me. I just love pads. I named my first patch 'yam yam orange' as it sounded delicious :love:

Off now to go and buy and then play some more.... :comp:

Mart.

Thanks Mart... good to know the quality is noticed... 
Studio Corbach
Bou

GET MIXFOOD HERE

gak

24 Mar 2015

Hmmmmmmm, a candidate for next month :) Nice price, demos sound good.

Digitus

24 Mar 2015

This synth is very reasonably priced and that's definitely appreciated. However, and I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but I find the backside very unattractive. Those colored panels give it an unfinished, fragmented, or last minute rushed feel. To my eye, the panels appear to be floating separate above the black area.

Now I know a lot of Reason users will say that sound is more important than looks but don't agree with that view. The aesthetic appeal of devices should not be underestimated. I simply won't purchase devices I find unpleasing to the eye because it detracts from the visual aspect of Reason that I love so much. That said, I think this issue could be solved by simply making the entire backside a unified color like dark grey brushed metal or something. 

Anyhoo, in my opinion, here's a few examples of backsides that work.

Just my Image

TheMiles

24 Mar 2015

Digitus wrote:This synth is very reasonably priced and that's definitely appreciated. However, and I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but I find the backside very unattractive. Those colored panels give it an unfinished, fragmented, or last minute rushed feel. To my eye, the panels appear to be floating separate above the black area.

Now I know a lot of Reason users will say that sound is more important than looks but don't agree with that view. The aesthetic appeal of devices should not be underestimated. I simply won't purchase devices I find unpleasing to the eye because it detracts from the visual aspect of Reason that I love so much. That said, I think this issue could be solved by simply making the entire backside a unified color like dark grey brushed metal or something. 

Anyhoo, in my opinion, here's a few examples of backsides that work.

Just my Image

This kept my from buying Revival... I like the sounds it produces and its flexibility but the colorsheme used makes the synth very hard to look at and work with... I don't think it is as important as sound is but the looks are very important when it comes to usability.

pbc278

24 Mar 2015

Great! I'm just awaiting the possibillity for cv inuts in IDT devices ;-) till then I did what I find was nice enough for a backside.. a little color, a little less technical. But mainly just a focus on the 7 audio-outputs. With these outputs you can do amazing things! Try it you'll like it..
It's always a matter of taste with these things anyway... And to add to that, the price is right, if I had to hire a graphic designer I would've set the price much higher. It's just a matter of choices. 

Anyway, thanks for reviewing!

Mixfood Orange: separate audio-out explained
Studio Corbach
Bou

GET MIXFOOD HERE

Digitus

24 Mar 2015

pbc278 wrote:Great! I'm just awaiting the possibillity for cv inuts in IDT devices ;-) till then I did what I find was nice enough for a backside.. a little color, a little less technical. But mainly just a focus on the 7 audio-outputs. With these outputs you can do amazing things! Try it you'll like it..
It's always a matter of taste with these things anyway... And to add to that, the price is right, if I had to hire a graphic designer I would've set the price much higher. It's just a matter of choices. 

Anyway, thanks for reviewing!

Mixfood Orange: separate audio-out explained
Would it not be an easy thing to just cover the entire backside with the same grey brushed metal used on the frontside? I think it would give it a more completed appearance, and I'm guessing you wouldn't need to hire a designer for such a basic task. I honestly think you'd sell more units with that one simple change. Either way though, it's your little red wagon and you can pull it however you like...lol.

;)

Faastwalker

24 Mar 2015

$35?!!! Even I can afford that!!

Will be checking this one for sure.

MDTerps2015

24 Mar 2015

Faastwalker wrote:$35?!!! Even I can afford that!!

Its awesome. I have been raving about this thing all day. I was pretty much sold on it ten minutes into trialling it. I bought it. 
150 paid RExtensions and still no Grammy

Faastwalker

24 Mar 2015

Faastwalker wrote:$35?!!! Even I can afford that!!

MDTerps2015 wrote:
Its awesome. I have been raving about this thing all day. I was pretty much sold on it ten minutes into
trialling it. I bought it. 
Looking forward to hitting the TRY button on this one, especially seeing as I can actually afford to buy it. I've not got a problem with the prices of RE's. But the sad truth is I just can't afford to buy half the stuff that I'm sold on.

dhruan

25 Mar 2015

Great device and will most definitely buy it. Echoing on what others have said about the backside, at least make it one uniform color or just use the two "colors" already there (ie. get rid of the black background).

Also, make sure that the spacing and margins for the elements (between the labels, plugs and lines) are uniform. So yeah, no need for anything complicated and I can even toss in a mockup later today (have to run to a meeting in five).
soundcloud.com/armsgrade

pjeudy

25 Mar 2015

My opinion:
I'm a billion percent cool with the back side. I spent 99.999 % of my time with this instrument messing around with it's front parameters.
So much so that I just don't have the time to focus on the back of the Virtual device at all.Not unless I'm looking at it from a thread picture with both front and back side by side..well then of course the back will feel empty ..the front is full of knobs and sliders etc....

I look forward to exploring what sounds I can get out of this devices every time now. Other instruments that l like exploring there sonic ability's are PARSEC and PX7. 

I tried to look at it from others point of view but I just can't see a flood of people saying that they will buy there Rack Extension devices only if they like the Back also ..never mind what king of sound to can get out of it !!
Device sounds great: check!
Device  can create powerful Leads and Great sounding Pads and Bass: check! 
Device  is "$35.00" : check..check..and check.. an unbelievable price for such a powerful instrument.

MixFood Orange sample-based synth in My opinion is a powerful tool for Sound Designers:  CHECK ! :thumbup:
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

electrofux

25 Mar 2015

Sounds good and priced very cheap. And very CPU friendly!

If i would have a wish, i would expand on the Mod Wheel section. There are just so few controls which have a drastic effect since every section has its own controls. But space seems to a problem here.

Also more combinator patches would be nice as i think this is a combinator Synth because of the above specifics of the Synth.

PinkSlime

25 Mar 2015

really really impressed with Orange! been messing with it since yesterday, just familiarizing myself. ease of use and versatility. good sounds come up seamlessly with a few tweaks. it is like subtractor that has evolved to the next level. quality work! :-)

one element I am missing is however some modulation possibilities, if not as expanded as in thor (mod panel), at least as in the good old subtractor (for example velocity -> filter cut or velocity -> filter env)
is it possible to add such a functionality (maybe in the back, since the front is already busy with all the nice FX etc)?

• Information