Carve is in the Shop

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
O1B

11 Feb 2015

avasopht wrote:Ochenk, is that windowing related?
They went to PM with this.  Seems proper.

LEDBOO

11 Feb 2015

I got to get this!

avasopht
Competition Winner

11 Feb 2015

avasopht wrote:Ochenk, is that windowing related?
O1B wrote:
They went to PM with this.  Seems proper.
Oh, I missed that (probably because they went to pm ;) )

ebop

11 Feb 2015

I've only just started using Carve. Does the REF input signal need to go out through THRU? I've split my kick with a spider and sent it to REF on two Carves on two bass instruments (sub and bass). Another split kick signal from the spider is sent back to the kick instrument to complete that circuit. Presumably this is acceptable (ie., no out from THRU on either Carve)? It works but I just want to be sure it's not stuffing up some feature/function of the RE, thnx.

eusti

11 Feb 2015

ebop wrote:I've only just started using Carve. Does the REF input signal need to go out through THRU? ...
If you want to be able to listen to the REF signal sent to Carve. I seem to remember that the through was implemented to avoid having to set up more spiders.

Not sure about the rest of your question.

D.

zero01101

11 Feb 2015

ebop wrote:I've only just started using Carve. Does the REF input signal need to go out through THRU? I've split my kick with a spider and sent it to REF on two Carves on two bass instruments (sub and bass). Another split kick signal from the spider is sent back to the kick instrument to complete that circuit. Presumably this is acceptable (ie., no out from THRU on either Carve)? It works but I just want to be sure it's not stuffing up some feature/function of the RE, thnx.
if that's how you want to route it, by all means; the signal from ref thru is literally sonically and mathematically identical to using a spider split and, if i recall correctly, is only there so you don't have to make a spider :)

Last Alternative

11 Feb 2015

So I've been trying Carve in my song and I gotta say it feels incomplete without the coming update because of all the reasons already mentioned but mostly for me- the sensitivity is way too much. Anything past 7-13% and the bass disappears all together when the kick hits and I've tried all the settings possible and none of my levels are ever clipping when I mix.. It feels like the bass is either there strong or it isn't there at all, with no happy median.

Also I'm not sure if this was mentioned but it would be great if the Amount values were in -dB instead of %. The way it is now, % gives you no clue how much you're cutting. Thanx.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

ebop

11 Feb 2015

Thanks eusti and Zero01101, just wanted to make sure and you've confirmed it.  Looking forward to the update as I'm also operating around the 5-7% amount level and I also get what Last Alternative just mentioned, the bass is either there or it aint!

O1B

12 Feb 2015

Remember, .... you don't have to be clipping to have run out of headroom.
Carve's a Great Mix Improvement Tool.
Last Alternative wrote:So I've been trying Carve in my song and I gotta say it feels incomplete without the coming update because of all the reasons already mentioned but mostly for me- the sensitivity is way too much. Anything past 7-13% and the bass disappears all together when the kick hits and I've tried all the settings possible and none of my levels are ever clipping when I mix.. It feels like the bass is either there strong or it isn't there at all, with no happy median.

Also I'm not sure if this was mentioned but it would be great if the Amount values were in -dB instead of %. The way it is now, % gives you no clue how much you're cutting. Thanx.

ebop

13 Feb 2015

Penny dropped, just run output from THRU into the next Carve in series and then feed that back to the kick to complete the kick circuit rather than use spiders. Easier way to skin the cat. Sorry cat.

Deep Schulzz

17 Feb 2015

Carve - that's what I call a useful tool! Well-priced and really cool in what it does. I tested it intensely & used it in a new track. It just works. :t2018:  

BtW: Adding another sensitivity option will be a good thing. :thumbup:

ImageImage :wNDZuZB: :gaNIZRn: ImageImageImage :D

jfrichards

17 Feb 2015

Deep Schulzz wrote:Carve... I tested it intensely & used it in a new track...
Hey Deep, another gorgeous song.  What did you do with the Carve?  Are you using it to drop the song or other instruments when you''re playing the bass?  The bass tones are really coming through.

Deep Schulzz

17 Feb 2015

Deep Schulzz wrote:Carve... I tested it intensely & used it in a new track...
jfrichards wrote:
Hey Deep, another gorgeous song.  What did you do with the Carve?  Are you using it to drop the song or other instruments when you''re playing the bass?  The bass tones are really coming through.
Hello John,

I used carve in a more subtle way for all keyboard-organ-gituar stuff to get them better divided and for the separation of the main doublebass from the higher melody doublebass parts. Because the track was already half finished I did not use carve for ducking the doublebass with the Bassdrum. It's a normal ducking by sidechaining compression. Will try it with carve for the next track.

Btw. the double bass is mainly edited with the cerberus bass amp (maybe the doublebass is a little bit too loud this time) & for the higher bass melody stuff  I used the softtube bass amp. 

jappe

22 Feb 2015

Ochen, much respect for making this device.
I think you have made a very intuitive and simple to use interface.

Because spectral mixing takes so long time, and it takes time to get a good result even if the EQ:ing is static. A real workflow booster properly done - and a quality booster too since it would take ages to manually automate dynamic EQ for a whole tune.

Many years ago, I suggested in the Prop's Feature Suggestion forum that they should do a "Spectral Discriminator" which in essence was something like your device. (but with multiple inputs, and an interface to control how the spectral discrimination was to be done for each channel)

What I didn't understand - at all - was why the Prop's never made this device? It absolutely beats me. I also remember that I got very little response for my feature suggestion from the forum members. (perhaps I got no response at all!? cannot remember, and unfortunately Prop's closed the forum without providing an archive  :nono: )

Anyway, I'm happy you've done it and I am really exited to see how this device will develop :s0221:

ebop

22 Feb 2015

Anyone else getting an error when opening projects with carve in it?

I get an error message and the carve thru output is disconnected when I open the project. In the project, I had punch feeding the carve and predator and subboombass freqs were being dipped.

I've sent an email to Ochen K via his website.

jappe

22 Feb 2015

ebop wrote:Anyone else getting an error when opening projects with carve in it? I get an error message and the carve thru output is disconnected when I open the project. In the project, I had punch feeding the carve and predator and subboombass freqs were being dipped. I've sent an email to Ochen K via his website.
I haven't tried your precise setup, but opening projects with carve in general seems to work fine for me.

Can you narrow down the problem to find what is causing the error? For example, if you save the project with the carve thru output disconnected, will it open ok then?
In that case you can use an audio splitter to feed the Reference In, as a workaround.

jappe

22 Feb 2015

A feature suggestion:

Scenario:
- we have a fast beating bass drum with a rather long decay on low frequencies, to use as ref in.
- we have a bass that will often play simultaneous as the bass drum.
- we only want carve to work the first hundreds of milliseconds, just enough to preserve the rhythm of the bass drum.

==> It would be nice if Carve had a beat detection mode, that would allow it to be operational only for X milliseconds after each beat on REF In, so that the long decay of REF IN low frequencies doesn't slaughter the SIG IN on that frequency region for an unnecessarily long time.

I can simulate that by routing the bass drum to a parallel channel with gating enabled, which will feed REF In. But that will not work for beats with less pronounced decay since the gating won't kick in.

A second suggestion: if we have that beat detection mode, then it would be nice if EQ ducking immediately could switch and duck the REF IN signal instead, after the ducking phase of the SIG In is over. So that REF IN and SIG IN will "trade" the available frequencies so to speak.

I hope I have been clear enough in my explanation above what I mean, otherwise please let me know  :)

ebop

22 Feb 2015

Jappe, when I get the error message, I can still open the project with the only thing being that the thru out is disconnected.

I originally used a spider to split a single kick signal to feed into the Ref inputs of two carves on predator and subboombass. Someone said that Ref and Thru act just like a spider so I got rid of the spider and routed the Thru out from one carve to the Ref in on the second carve. Then routed the Thru out of the second carve back to the kick combi in.

Dunno, maybe I'm missing something obvious. It works, but then crashes when I close and reopen the project.

jappe

22 Feb 2015

ebop wrote:Jappe, when I get the error message, I can still open the project with the only thing being that the thru out is disconnected.

I originally used a spider to split a single kick signal to feed into the Ref inputs of two carves on predator and subboombass. Someone said that Ref and Thru act just like a spider so I got rid of the spider and routed the Thru out from one carve to the Ref in on the second carve. Then routed the Thru out of the second carve back to the kick combi in.

Dunno, maybe I'm missing something obvious. It works, but then crashes when I close and reopen the project.
hmm...not sure I understand the setup here...the ref thru out should be routed to the mixer and not back in to the kick combinator?

ebop

22 Feb 2015

Ok, just did some tests. It only happens when I quit out of Reason and then log back in. It doesn't happen if I close a project and then reopen it without quitting Reason.

I tried routing Thru on the second carve (in series) straight into the mixer (bypassing combinator) and I still get the error.

It says

Device Error

'An error has occurred in device 'Carve EQ2' (Carve EQ Ducker). It has been disabled. You can still save your document'

Actually, when I get this error and open the project, all cables are still connected, but the carves do not appear to be operational (ie don't seem to be accepting the kick signal, ie disabled as the error says).

Dunno, maybe I'm not supposed to be routing Carves in series?

ScuzzyEye

22 Feb 2015

ebop wrote:Ok, just did some tests. It only happens when I quit out of Reason and then log back in. It doesn't happen if I close a project and then reopen it without quitting Reason. I tried routing Thru on the second carve (in series) straight into the mixer (bypassing combinator) and I still get the error. It says Device Error 'An error has occurred in device 'Carve EQ2' (Carve EQ Ducker). It has been disabled. You can still save your document' Actually, when I get this error and open the project, all cables are still connected, but the carves do not appear to be operational (ie don't seem to be accepting the kick signal, ie disabled as the error says). Dunno, maybe I'm not supposed to be routing Carves in series?
This is the RE sandboxing kicking in. When a RE does something that could potentially hurt the stability of a Reason session, its processing is halted, but Reason keeps running. It takes a restart of Reason for the RE to become active again, but if it does the same thing, it will be halted again.

It's nothing you're doing. If you can hook up a cable, it's a valid way to route the signal. The worst that is supposed to happen is you create a feedback loop, and things get really loud quickly. So if sending one Carve into another makes Reason kill it, you've discovered a bug. Try to find the smallest project that causes this to happen, and save it. I'm sure Ochen will want to see the file.

ebop

22 Feb 2015

Thanks ScuzzyEye and jappe for the input. I'll do some more checks tonight and make a file to send to Ochen. The error happens using 3x RP REs and Carve. Not sure if there's some incompatibility there?

eusti

22 Feb 2015

ebop wrote:Thanks ScuzzyEye and jappe for the input. I'll do some more checks tonight and make a file to send to Ochen. The error happens using 3x RP REs and Carve. Not sure if there's some incompatibility there?
Try to reproduce it with stock devices only... Ochen might not have the other REs, which might delay fixing things...

D.

eusti

24 Feb 2015

Via Ochen K.'s facebook page: "Hey folks. Just updated Carve. Version 1.0.1 adds a "SENS" knob, which controls the sensitivity of the incoming reference signal. If you've had any trouble dialing in a subtle cut (like a -3db cut from a 60db input signal), the Sensitivity knob will help you out. Check out the video explainer:"

D.

Concep

24 Feb 2015

This is a great update!  That didn't take long!

• Information