Imitone as an RE maybe?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Faastwalker

07 Feb 2015

I'm stoked about this piece of software. Something I've been looking for forever.

http://imitone.com/

I'm wondering if this would be possible to make as an Rack Extension?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-NcV6F5sRM

Benedict
Competition Winner

07 Feb 2015

Looks interesting. Is there any sort of demo or do you need to pay first?

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

eusti

07 Feb 2015

Well, looking at the video there seems to be no need for it to be a rack extension...
It's an extra program that basically behaves like a midi keyboard as far as the music programs are concerned...

D.

Grinder One

07 Feb 2015

eusti wrote:Well, looking at the video there seems to be no need for it to be a rack extension...
It's an extra program that basically behaves like a midi keyboard as far as the music programs are concerned...

D.
That's right...it'll probably be, or end up as something you just route to your DAW(USB ?) that'll replace your midi keyboard. Unfortunately though, I see it as just another step towards rendering the musician redundant.

Mart.

Ostermilk

07 Feb 2015

Grinder One wrote:Unfortunately though, I see it as just another step towards rendering the musician redundant.

Mart.
I don't see it that way writing partners and composers have often just transcribed a sung or hummed melody on the fly as the basis of a more complete composition.

I'm sure many of us here often have a melody in our minds before getting it down via some other mechanical means.

It's not a new practise just a handy looking means to do that specific job.  It can be done quite easily in Melodyne if you can't already transcribe what you are humming, but this lookis to me a much cheaper, more convenient and quicker looking alternative.

Edit: Here's an older take on a similar thing dating from back in '07

http://www.knzaudio.com/index.php?home

submonsterz

07 Feb 2015

this is a great tool. it works flawlessly in reason.
no need as an re it works best as is.
it is low latency here. very low infact.
it works as a controller so I cant see a need as an re here :) .

joeyluck

07 Feb 2015

Does this work better than using Bitspeek?

I suppose I'm missing something because they talk about the technology not existing elsewhere (though audio to MIDI is offered in several DAWs). What makes this different?

submonsterz

07 Feb 2015

no idea in relation to bitspeek do not own it so cannot comment there.
but I do know this works wickedly as I have it have been on this since the kick starter.

Faastwalker

07 Feb 2015

I was also surprised by the claims of there being nothing like this out there. I know there are plenty of Audio to MIDI tools. This seems to be coming a more or less standard feature amongst DAW's. Maybe Reason will have this facility one day?

As for Imitone as an RE. I guess this does seem a little redundant seeing as how the program works. I was just thinking audio in to CV note/gate out as an RE so you could integrate it into the rack in more ways (split the output, trigger multiple devices at once via CV for example).

People have mentioned that BitSpeak can do this. Will have to try this myself. I've been wanting to buy it for some time.

submonsterz

07 Feb 2015

joeyluck wrote:
different kettle of fish I see here.
ie imitone as a controller places it all into you`re sequencer track as midi notes straight off.
to get midi notes means a little routing using this bitspeek device
to be honest id find imitone much better more finer as it does all you`re midi control info ie pitch bends vibrato etc etc all as you do it into midi and controller data straight to you`re sequencer. ;)
to me much easier than what im seeing in this video to be honest.
I am finding imitones tracking to be actually pretty good.
id say better than others ive tried in other daws like nutone etc.
but its what choice people choose to follow.
he will be releasing imitone as vst and also android and ios apps too.

Janvier

07 Feb 2015

I want this embedded in Reason 9 ! This is the kind of ideas which Props should like ! Make music easier ! 
Maybe we should suggest them. 

Janvier

07 Feb 2015

Bitspeek seems to be interesting to make creative thing, but it is clearly not working like imitone. 
joeyluck wrote:
submonsterz wrote: different kettle of fish I see here.
ie imitone as a controller places it all into you`re sequencer track as midi notes straight off.
to be honest id find imitone much better more finer as it does all you`re midi control info ie pitch bends vibrato etc etc all as you do it into midi and controller data straight to you`re sequencer. ;)
Everything is said.

joeyluck

07 Feb 2015

Janvier wrote:Bitspeek seems to be interesting to make creative thing, but it is clearly not working like imitone. 
joeyluck wrote:
submonsterz wrote: different kettle of fish I see here.
Janvier wrote:
Everything is said.
True, it's not it's primary function.  But this video also doesn't outline a couple things:
Applying a Neptune which is very helpful for hitting notes.  
And you can record MIDI notes using the EMI...

joeyluck

07 Feb 2015

submonsterz wrote: he will be releasing imitone as vst and also android and ios apps too.
Is it standalone as well?

submonsterz

07 Feb 2015

submonsterz wrote: he will be releasing imitone as vst and also android and ios apps too.
joeyluck wrote:
yes as it is now it is stand alone ;) .
just connects via virtual midi as controller.
takes two mins to set up.
and Neptune is very slow and not very accurate at pitch detection and not very good at all it needs lots of work to be of any par like other pitch correctors/detectors.
im making some thing right now for jfrichards kong momentary trigger thread.
but if I get time I might crank a demo vid of imitone via reason but im pushed for time right now so might not (probally wont remember or get round to it lol).

Ostermilk

07 Feb 2015

joeyluck wrote:
submonsterz wrote:this is a great tool. it works flawlessly in reason.
no need as an re it works best as is.
it is low latency here. very low infact.
it works as a controller so I cant see a need as an re here :) .
It's only available as a standalone presently so you'd be able to use it as an input controller for any DAW.

The key feature for me would be to avoid all the piddling about with plug ins and just be able to record midi straight in via a mic.

I was already interested but Subz endorsment has sold me on it already.

oops Sub got there first.

joeyluck

07 Feb 2015

joeyluck wrote:
submonsterz wrote: yes as it is now it is stand alone ;) .
Gotcha.  Was a bit thrown as it has not yet been released (I assume you're beta testing) and was going off of "he will be releasing imitone as vst..."

Good to know :)  Looking forward to trying it out.

Faastwalker

07 Feb 2015

Janvier wrote:I want this embedded in Reason 9 ! This is the kind of ideas which Props should like ! Make music easier ! Maybe we should suggest them. 
Precisely. I will try to contact the developer & ask his thought on Reason / Rack Extension. But it would also be good to have this sort for feature as part of Reason so maybe I'll email Props as well. I've asked for audio to MIDI plenty of times already. But it does appear Imitone has some impressive capabilities. 

submonsterz

07 Feb 2015

Janvier wrote:I want this embedded in Reason 9 ! This is the kind of ideas which Props should like ! Make music easier ! Maybe we should suggest them. 
Faastwalker wrote:
Precisely. I will try to contact the developer & ask his thought on Reason / Rack Extension. But it would also be good to have this sort for feature as part of Reason so maybe I'll email Props as well. I've asked for audio to MIDI plenty of times already. But it does appear Imitone has some impressive capabilities. 
as I said I cant see this being of use as an RE.
as an intergrated part of reason most definitely!!
as it would need to be a native device to work its magic ie record straight to sequencer the notes etc etc ;) .
good chance for props to take note and work some magic to a new native device !.

Sinistereo

07 Feb 2015

I backed Imitone on Kickstarter and have been using it for over a year. Since then, it has evolved significantly.

It is a standalone program that works through a virtual MIDI driver, so it's seen by Reason (or any other DAW) as a MIDI controller. The evolutionary bit that makes Imitone stand apart from Bitspeek or Neptune is that it preserves most aspects of your vocal performance (velocity envelope, pitch, vibrato) with very low latency. It's almost to the point where I prefer using Imitone over my EWI.

You could get close to this by running Bitspeek through CV Tuner and into a synth, but you'd lose the vibrato information.

Is it terribly different than anything else out there? Nope. But it's better at its specific purpose. I think of it as a real-time hybrid of Neptune and Melodyne.

Imitone's interface is quirky and it is brutal on CPU, but it's been fun to play with and it's cheap.

Gaja

08 Feb 2015

A RE version wouldn't make sense at all imo. Especially since REs can't get notes on a MIDI track. Then it would be redundant.

Personally I found every approach I've tried so far (within Reason) to be unworkabke (yes that includes peff's and several other combis that have been around), for my voice, or instruments of choice (guitar, cello, piano, electric bass). All I could get out of any of the neptune to cv approaches was high squeaky stuff, not at all close to any of the ranges of any instrument I've ever heard.

Imitone, while it is not flawless (haven't tried the latest version yet), works much much better. It is a MIDI controller, nothing more, nothing less. How would an RE version of this work at all?
I too have thought about how awesome it would be to have this tech inside Reason, but I'm not too sure Evan would be too fond of the idea of selling all his work, so another company can profit from it for ever...
Cheers!
Fredhoven

• Information