Rob Papen's Predator RE gets an update !

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
challism

09 Feb 2015

"I think the update is labelled 1.6.5 because the VST version was at later version then 1.0.11 ( RE version) ...."

Gotcha!  That makes more sense now.  :)

Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

RPSupport

10 Feb 2015

Theo.M wrote:Cool, but I wish they'd add the missing FX.
RPSupport wrote: In regards to the missing FX (Tape Delay etc) there are still some limitations in the SDK that stop us from adding them. Cheers Richard
Theo.M wrote:

Hi I really appreciate the official answer on this. I realise SDK discussions aren't allowed due to NDA, but I am perplexed..fascinated even.. as I honestly thought any type of effect algorithm could be done in RE format. I realise there are gui and optimisation limitations in some cases, but this is the first case of the "style of effect" not being possible. Is there any way of discussing this to a certain point without breaching NDA? If not, all cool, but understandably I am indeed curious.
RPSupport wrote: Hi there, Without going into detail and talking about SDK(due to NDA) there are still some restrictions and the way some things work in VST's that still cannot be done in RE. If this changes in the future we will of course look into it. Sorry I can't say more than that. Cheers Richard
Theo.M wrote:
Thankyou Richard for being as forthcoming as you can.  Looking forward to SDK updates as I am sure all devs are ;)

But in the meantime REALLY looking forward to Predator 1.6.5!

I have a question i asked at kvr some time back but Jon was unable to answer it, and I see you are active in this topic, so I hope you don't mind me asking here.

On the Rob Papen website there is a bunch of predator banks for sale for a killer price from top sound developers. But one can buy the predator au/vst set OR the RE one which is strange because for presets i would have just assumed they came in all possible formats. It's not as if something using just kb would increase the download size to anything too large for example.

So my question is, I also see a vst patch to RE converter for free download. Have the RE patches to buy been converted just by using this converter anyway? i.e if i buy the vst/au format (as i also use predator in Logic/Live), could I just run the converter on the various banks and output RE patches identical to if i bought the specific RE patch set?

Links:
http://www.robpapen.com/predator-soundsets.html
Theo.M wrote:
or for RE:
http://www.robpapen.com/soundsets-predator-re.html
Theo.M wrote:
Cheers!

Yes you could buy the VST/AU patches and convert them yourself. Please note though that some conversions won't be 100% accurate depending on the fx used(some may use FX that are only available in the VST)

Theo.M

23 Feb 2015

Theo.M wrote:Cool, but I wish they'd add the missing FX.
RPSupport wrote: In regards to the missing FX (Tape Delay etc) there are still some limitations in the SDK that stop us from adding them. Cheers Richard
Theo.M wrote:

Hi I really appreciate the official answer on this. I realise SDK discussions aren't allowed due to NDA, but I am perplexed..fascinated even.. as I honestly thought any type of effect algorithm could be done in RE format. I realise there are gui and optimisation limitations in some cases, but this is the first case of the "style of effect" not being possible. Is there any way of discussing this to a certain point without breaching NDA? If not, all cool, but understandably I am indeed curious.
RPSupport wrote: Hi there, Without going into detail and talking about SDK(due to NDA) there are still some restrictions and the way some things work in VST's that still cannot be done in RE. If this changes in the future we will of course look into it. Sorry I can't say more than that. Cheers Richard
Theo.M wrote:
Thankyou Richard for being as forthcoming as you can.  Looking forward to SDK updates as I am sure all devs are ;)

But in the meantime REALLY looking forward to Predator 1.6.5!

I have a question i asked at kvr some time back but Jon was unable to answer it, and I see you are active in this topic, so I hope you don't mind me asking here.

On the Rob Papen website there is a bunch of predator banks for sale for a killer price from top sound developers. But one can buy the predator au/vst set OR the RE one which is strange because for presets i would have just assumed they came in all possible formats. It's not as if something using just kb would increase the download size to anything too large for example.

So my question is, I also see a vst patch to RE converter for free download. Have the RE patches to buy been converted just by using this converter anyway? i.e if i buy the vst/au format (as i also use predator in Logic/Live), could I just run the converter on the various banks and output RE patches identical to if i bought the specific RE patch set?

Links:
http://www.robpapen.com/predator-soundsets.html
Theo.M wrote:
or for RE:
http://www.robpapen.com/soundsets-predator-re.html
Theo.M wrote:
Cheers!

RPSupport wrote: Yes you could buy the VST/AU patches and convert them yourself. Please note though that some conversions won't be 100% accurate depending on the fx used(some may use FX that are only available in the VST)
sorry for the late reply but for months i have been trying to get to the bottom of this.
it does answer the question but it sort of doesn't. If i buy the RE patches have these been reworked in cases where the vst fx weren't available or have your own RE sets for sale jut used the converter anyway? This is what i was trying to ask. 
I don't understand why i just can't buy the VST and get a link for the RE patches too? What's the big deal? They are patches for predator, i don't want to pay $40 twice.

RPSupport

06 Mar 2015

Hi, our own sets have used the converter of course. Note that what I said previously that some may not sound 100% the same due to what fx were used in the VST version.

Thanks

riemac

06 Mar 2015

Any news when the Predator RE update with the unison spread will be available?

The VST is already out.

djfm1983

06 Mar 2015

Does anyone know if you can load patches from their vst version to their RE version. I saw sone patches for sale at loopmasters.com but wasn't sure if they'll load in the RE.
soundcloud.com/djfm1983

pjeudy

06 Mar 2015

davidvilla wrote:What about a GUI makeover for the RE in 2.0? It's still rather ugly (and I mean that in the nicest way possible) :)
I like predator RE just like it is, I think it looks waayyy better then the VST. Just my opinion if course.
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

Theo.M

06 Mar 2015

djfm1983 wrote:Does anyone know if you can load patches from their vst version to their RE version. I saw sone patches for sale at loopmasters.com but wasn't sure if they'll load in the RE.
as was discussed just above, rob papen provides a free patch converter from the vst to the RE format. ;)

In some cases if the vst patch uses one of the two effects not available in the RE they will sound a bit different, but we are talking about the minority of patches here and the sound itself will be 100% identical. I always turn effects off on any synth anyway and use my own. In this case there is no tape flanger and tape delay in the RE, hardly stuff that will be critical  The oscillators and filters are identical and that's what matters. Think like the korg stuff. The RE's have NO effects but the patches underneath are identical when one turns the FX off the vst. SO in some rare cases where the patch is using the predator tape flanger or delay, it will not translate that effect to the RE. That's it, that's the only difference. Feel safe and go ahead to buy any predator patches from any site you like :)

Hope that helps. Cheers

RPSupport

09 Mar 2015

riemac wrote:Any news when the Predator RE update with the unison spread will be available?

The VST is already out.
It's almost there. Waiting for approval from Propellerheads.

Emian

09 Mar 2015

RPSupport wrote:
It's almost there. Waiting for approval from Propellerheads.

Thats great news ! :)

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

davidvilla

16 Mar 2015

Well they're taking their sweet time on this, aren't they? Any update news??

Emian

16 Mar 2015

davidvilla wrote:Well they're taking their sweet time on this, aren't they? Any update news??

Last i read (i believe on FB-page) was that it's awaiting PH-approval ....

*edit* lol i read it a post above yours, here :P

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

davidvilla

26 Mar 2015

Is no one else but me anxious for the unison spread??? What's the hold up, it's been like 18 days since the Props were last approving it? Pardon my impatience, but...hurry hurry hurry.

RPSupport

27 Mar 2015

davidvilla wrote:Is no one else but me anxious for the unison spread??? What's the hold up, it's been like 18 days since the Props were last approving it? Pardon my impatience, but...hurry hurry hurry.
Hi, we unfortunately found a bug and decided to hold release until it was fixed. This also meant that the approval process was held back. 

It's been submitted to Propellerhead so hopefully you'll see the update very soon.

Thanks for being patient.

• Information