4-BSCEQ (4-Band Splitter Compression EQ) [Stock]

This forum is for sharing patches created with the updated Combinator, as well as backdrops and any backdrop assets.
Forum rules
This forum is for sharing patches created with the updated Combinator, as well as backdrops and any backdrop assets. If you would like to share a patch here as an attachment, you must zip it first. Otherwise you can host your patches elsewhere and share the links here.
moofi

24 Jan 2022

Recently someone asked for a stock multi-band splitter. Reason I created a 4-band splitter with volume + width + compression for every band and an output
HP/LP filter plus input/output volume using stock devices.
The compressors are SSL ones.
Optionally you could attach effects to each band if you add them to or pre/post the implemented mixers/compressors.
At least I guess it´s pretty self-explanatory.
After all it´s basically 4Dyne´s little sibling.

The volume ranges are +/- 18dB for every band, aswell for input/output.
High-res background.

Combinator: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... -BSCEQ.zip
4-BSCEQ.jpg
4-BSCEQ.jpg (527.83 KiB) Viewed 11330 times

Ottostrom

24 Jan 2022

Thank you! Very creative and colorful UI which I like :)

moofi

24 Jan 2022

Thank you, was fun creating :-)
Ottostrom wrote:
24 Jan 2022
Thank you! Very creative and colorful UI which I like :)

crimsonwarlock

24 Jan 2022

I have several multi-band compressors already, but still downloaded it for the great UI. Very nice design :D
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

moofi

24 Jan 2022

Thank you :-D Glad you like it :-)

Actually the UI evolved naturally around its components. It started out with simple lines seperating the sections leading to the replacement by waves freeing up space for the ingredients and thus leading to the ocean scenery.
I then aswell found it quite pleasant to work with because it appears to be visually easier to use compared to 4Dyne due to the band sections being shown in according varying colours with the cut-frequencies sitting at every bands borders, so I wouldn´t have to translate from three knobs to four bands what can be a little bit confusing at times. Especially with 4Dyne the relations aren´t that clear on first sight.
crimsonwarlock wrote:
24 Jan 2022
I have several multi-band compressors already, but still downloaded it for the great UI. Very nice design :D

selig
RE Developer

24 Jan 2022

Great idea!
Feedback from an old codger, just ignore this and I'll crawl back into my hole:

I would put the filters on the input, not the output, so you can remove stuff BEFORE it hits the compressor. Or even better, add a button to switch between the two options on each band.

I would prefer the defaults for the compressors to allow compression as soon as you turn them on, so you don't have to adjust ANY knobs before hearing SOME compression. As it is, you must turn On the compressor, and then adjust Ratio AND Threshold before you can even begin to hear any compression, which is compounded by the fact you must do it four times (eight knob adjustments AND four button pushes in total) before you can hear compression on all bands.

Finally, I make the size of the knobs based on how much you use them and how fine control you need. The MOST used knobs for me on multi-band compression are the Band Level knobs. The crossovers are often set early on and do not change much, but the level controls are constantly adjusted, even before compression is added in many cases and often in small increments. So I would make the level knobs the big ones, not the crossover knobs. And some of the least adjusted knobs (for me) are the biggest (input/output): do you consider these the most important knobs/function on the UI, and if not then which are the most important (the crossovers?)?

And finally, what do the colors red and green represent on this device? Seems the on/off buttons are red, except for the Peak/RMS are red but on t on off, and the Slow/Fast Attack button is green, in what appears to be arbitrary rather than function based decisions. On/off should be one color, function selectors (slow/fast, peak/rms) another IF you want color to define function. Otherwise, what are you using color to define here?

Your UI has three different knob designs (four if you count the ones with buttons on them) and four different button styles on this one device. Every device in your combinator as one knob and one button design (Line Mixer has two sizes of the same knob design), which is spartan for sure, but cleaner design makes for easier functioning IMO. It's like using a bunch of different fonts for page design, it can get cluttered and non-intuitive quickly IMO.

That's it, I don't want to imply ANY of this is a hard/fast rule you MUST follow, it's just one man's opinion among many, take it or leave it!
Selig Audio, LLC

NMHindman

24 Jan 2022

moofi wrote:
24 Jan 2022

Actually the UI evolved naturally around its components. It started out with simple lines seperating the sections leading to the replacement by waves freeing up space for the ingredients and thus leading to the ocean scenery.
I then aswell found it quite pleasant to work with because it appears to be visually easier to use compared to 4Dyne due to the band sections being shown in according varying colours with the cut-frequencies sitting at every bands borders, so I wouldn´t have to translate from three knobs to four bands what can be a little bit confusing at times. Especially with 4Dyne the relations aren´t that clear on first sight.
Indeed, your thoughtful layout makes this complex processor instantly navigable. And the colours have worked well for Maag so why not :P

Marc64

24 Jan 2022

That UI is awesome :)

moofi

31 Jan 2022

Actually didn´t find the energy to reply in detail yet, so for now just wanted to let you know I´m going to eventually. On a quick note, feedback is welcomed here, no worries :-)
selig wrote:
24 Jan 2022
Great idea!
Feedback from an old codger, just ignore this and I'll crawl back into my hole:

I would put the filters on the input, not the output, so you can remove stuff BEFORE it hits the compressor. Or even better, add a button to switch between the two options on each band.

I would prefer the defaults for the compressors to allow compression as soon as you turn them on, so you don't have to adjust ANY knobs before hearing SOME compression. As it is, you must turn On the compressor, and then adjust Ratio AND Threshold before you can even begin to hear any compression, which is compounded by the fact you must do it four times (eight knob adjustments AND four button pushes in total) before you can hear compression on all bands.

Finally, I make the size of the knobs based on how much you use them and how fine control you need. The MOST used knobs for me on multi-band compression are the Band Level knobs. The crossovers are often set early on and do not change much, but the level controls are constantly adjusted, even before compression is added in many cases and often in small increments. So I would make the level knobs the big ones, not the crossover knobs. And some of the least adjusted knobs (for me) are the biggest (input/output): do you consider these the most important knobs/function on the UI, and if not then which are the most important (the crossovers?)?

And finally, what do the colors red and green represent on this device? Seems the on/off buttons are red, except for the Peak/RMS are red but on t on off, and the Slow/Fast Attack button is green, in what appears to be arbitrary rather than function based decisions. On/off should be one color, function selectors (slow/fast, peak/rms) another IF you want color to define function. Otherwise, what are you using color to define here?

Your UI has three different knob designs (four if you count the ones with buttons on them) and four different button styles on this one device. Every device in your combinator as one knob and one button design (Line Mixer has two sizes of the same knob design), which is spartan for sure, but cleaner design makes for easier functioning IMO. It's like using a bunch of different fonts for page design, it can get cluttered and non-intuitive quickly IMO.

That's it, I don't want to imply ANY of this is a hard/fast rule you MUST follow, it's just one man's opinion among many, take it or leave it!

Creativemind

31 Jan 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
24 Jan 2022
It is. It's a beauty.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

wendylou

31 Jan 2022

Beautiful UI! :clap:
:puf_smile: http://www.galxygirl.com -- :reason: user since 2002

moofi

01 Feb 2022

Thank you :-)
Creativemind wrote:
31 Jan 2022
crimsonwarlock wrote:
24 Jan 2022
It is. It's a beauty.
wendylou wrote:
31 Jan 2022

Creativemind

02 Feb 2022

moofi wrote:
01 Feb 2022
Creativemind wrote:
31 Jan 2022

It is. It's a beauty.
wendylou wrote:
31 Jan 2022
No worries.

Incidentally, what's with the seagull on there or did you just fancy it?

Creativemind

02 Feb 2022

wendylou wrote:
31 Jan 2022
I can't understand what's going on with that clapping emoji. The right hand as we look at it looks more like the ok sign.

moofi

03 Feb 2022

Well, when the wave-like UI bascially naturally formed through the arrangement of the contained knobs + buttons, aswell being blue, it felt like actual waves beneath the sky. Hence I put the cloud into the sky and also a seagull :-) On a further note, in hindsight, I came to notice the colouring of the bands resemble a sun wandering across the sky ;-)
Creativemind wrote:
02 Feb 2022
moofi wrote:
01 Feb 2022

No worries.

Incidentally, what's with the seagull on there or did you just fancy it?

moofi

03 Feb 2022

It´s actually merley a slightly rounded hand if you look closely enough, like you would usually form your "clap-receiving" hand while clapping.
Creativemind wrote:
02 Feb 2022
wendylou wrote:
31 Jan 2022
I can't understand what's going on with that clapping emoji. The right hand as we look at it looks more like the ok sign.

Creativemind

04 Feb 2022

moofi wrote:
03 Feb 2022
It´s actually merley a slightly rounded hand if you look closely enough, like you would usually form your "clap-receiving" hand while clapping.
Creativemind wrote:
02 Feb 2022

Oh ok. Kinda looks like he's hollering lol!

:clap:

moofi

04 Feb 2022

:-)
Creativemind wrote:
04 Feb 2022
moofi wrote:
03 Feb 2022

Creativemind

04 Feb 2022

moofi wrote:
04 Feb 2022
:-)
Creativemind wrote:
04 Feb 2022

The word holler always reminds me of this song...

or this...

Sorry to hijack your thread.

moofi

04 Feb 2022

No worries :-)
Creativemind wrote:
04 Feb 2022

[...]

Sorry to hijack your thread.