PG-8X

This forum is for sharing patches created with the updated Combinator, as well as backdrops and any backdrop assets.
Forum rules
This forum is for sharing patches created with the updated Combinator, as well as backdrops and any backdrop assets. If you would like to share a patch here as an attachment, you must zip it first. Otherwise you can host your patches elsewhere and share the links here.
Billy+

12 Feb 2022

ryanharlin wrote:
11 Feb 2022
Billy+ wrote:
28 Dec 2021

But I think the reason why we are seeing these patches is more to do with OCD than any other reason, for some strange reason I think others like to see the devices mounted in the rack
It's not OCD for me. It's efficiency in the creative process. Once VST support first came out for Reason in v9.5 I remembered why I used Reason in the first place. Floating windows SUCK! It's such a mental creative killer for me to have to pop up windows just to tweak one knob, close windows, move windows around, pin windows, then deal with overlapping windows, etc. I still use the occasional VST but ironically VST support made me more appreciative of native Rack devices and Rack Extensions.

So when the updated Combinator came out with it's customization panel design concept it made total sense to me my people were porting their VSTs into Combinators to repatriate them back where they belong: the Rack.
The fact that somehow you need to have the device pinned into the rack is exactly what I'm referring to, yes it's easy for you too tweak and automation and yes it "looks better" but taking time to make a combinator just to make it a more visual pleasing experience is pure side stepping the creativity of music.

I appreciate that once it's done it's done and you can use the combinator as many times as you like and you can also share them with other but your not making music when you're creating graphics for a combinator so I don't / can't accept that a floating vst is any more SUCKY than just using the vst as is.

When all is said though there's definitely something really cool about the combinator and how it enables devices to be combined and using a single knob to control a multitude of parameters that enables a single automation lane to create an effect that could otherwise take ages to build individual each time that you want to use it.

Oh and FYI I personally think the lack of vst midi sucks way more than floating vst windows ;)

moofi

14 Feb 2022

It´s about zooming levels for focused, more comfortable working, aswell by being able to lean back and still recognise the labels.
And the combinators allow for rackintegration, not only in a visual but also workflow way (no floating windows) + you get additional CV-control-Ins.
Also many VST do not come with patch saving.
Billy+ wrote:
28 Dec 2021
huggermugger wrote:
28 Dec 2021
It's impressive, but as with many of these custom Combinators that people are designing, I don't see the point. In this case, you've basically reproduced the VST front panel. Why not just open the VST and work there? A Combinator version just seems redundant.
First off to the OP great job so don't be offended by what I'm about to say as it's in no way directly aimed at you.

But I think the reason why we are seeing these patches is more to do with OCD than any other reason, for some strange reason I think others like to see the devices mounted in the rack and although it visually works I would assume that it also consumes more cpu/dsp.

I feel much the same about the hidpi stuff it's great that Reason can now better display on all types of display but I don't believe that it adds anything to actually working with devices in the rack it's just a way to make RRP look bigger in other DAW's while consuming more resources.

moofi

14 Feb 2022

Allight, there was a second page :-D
Anyway, during Combinator creation I´m mostly making music aswell.
And even if not, I enjoy creating combinators. Guess you do other things for fun aswell without creating music either ;-)
And at least here, floating windows suck BIG TIME :-D
Billy+ wrote:
12 Feb 2022
[...]
but your not making music when you're creating graphics for a combinator so I don't / can't accept that a floating vst is any more SUCKY than just using the vst as is.

[...]

moofi

14 Feb 2022

Nicely done, haven´t played with it yet but looking forward to. Thank you :thumbs_up:
altron wrote:
28 Dec 2021
A Combinator 2 template for the PG-8X VST from Martin Lüders.
Version 1.0

Notes:
- Most controls are mapped. I left out several controls since the max. controls and knobs amount was reached.
- The small wheel controls used for some multi-switch controls are slightly overlapping some labels.
- Several muti-switchs from the VSTs had to be done with buttons. These buttons don't toggle each other's off when turned on so the UI might be in a confusing state. Each button is either set off or on to their respective state.
- Separate HD backdrop image included.
- VST Link: https://sites.google.com/site/mlvst0/

screenshot.jpg

• Information