PG-8X

This forum is for sharing patches created with the updated Combinator, as well as backdrops and any backdrop assets.
Forum rules
This forum is for sharing patches created with the updated Combinator, as well as backdrops and any backdrop assets. If you would like to share a patch here as an attachment, you must zip it first. Otherwise you can host your patches elsewhere and share the links here.
User avatar
altron
Posts: 209
Joined: 16 Mar 2015
Location: Tokyo

Post 28 Dec 2021

A Combinator 2 template for the PG-8X VST from Martin Lüders.
Version 1.0

Notes:
- Most controls are mapped. I left out several controls since the max. controls and knobs amount was reached.
- The small wheel controls used for some multi-switch controls are slightly overlapping some labels.
- Several muti-switchs from the VSTs had to be done with buttons. These buttons don't toggle each other's off when turned on so the UI might be in a confusing state. Each button is either set off or on to their respective state.
- Separate HD backdrop image included.
- VST Link: https://sites.google.com/site/mlvst0/
screenshot.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Trap is where music goes to die.

Synth Street
Posts: 22
Joined: 17 May 2020

Post 28 Dec 2021

That's awesome! I am still on 11 but when i upgrade, im going to use this. Thank you! 😁🙏

User avatar
huggermugger
Posts: 362
Joined: 16 Jul 2021

Post 28 Dec 2021

It's impressive, but as with many of these custom Combinators that people are designing, I don't see the point. In this case, you've basically reproduced the VST front panel. Why not just open the VST and work there? A Combinator version just seems redundant.

User avatar
Billy+
Posts: 3417
Joined: 09 Dec 2016

Post 28 Dec 2021

huggermugger wrote:
28 Dec 2021
It's impressive, but as with many of these custom Combinators that people are designing, I don't see the point. In this case, you've basically reproduced the VST front panel. Why not just open the VST and work there? A Combinator version just seems redundant.
First off to the OP great job so don't be offended by what I'm about to say as it's in no way directly aimed at you.


But I think the reason why we are seeing these patches is more to do with OCD than any other reason, for some strange reason I think others like to see the devices mounted in the rack and although it visually works I would assume that it also consumes more cpu/dsp.

I feel much the same about the hidpi stuff it's great that Reason can now better display on all types of display but I don't believe that it adds anything to actually working with devices in the rack it's just a way to make RRP look bigger in other DAW's while consuming more resources.
VST 2.4 MIDI It's definitely on the list of todos
Using Reason since version 1 is R11 going to be my final version :shock:

ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ Time for a good long sleep ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ

User avatar
crimsonwarlock
Posts: 159
Joined: 06 Nov 2021
Location: Close to the Edge

Post 28 Dec 2021

I was considering doing a combi for PG-8X, as I'm one of those who want to have stuff 'in the rack' and get rid of pesky pop-up windows. Back in the days of the first MS Windows version (I think it was 1.03, yep, I'm old) there was this joke (we didn't call them memes back then): 'What is Windows?: a system to divide your screen into smaller useless parts'.

I didn't make the combi myself, as I don't like doing only parts of the VST, lacking enough controls on the combi. From there, I'm simply trying to get away from using VST plugins all together in Reason. I'm not yet there completely because some VST plugins don't have an equivalent in Reason (hello OTT), but I already decided I don't really need PG-8X. Now I'm trying to redo the few PG-8X presets I really like, in Thor or any of the many other REs I have.

User avatar
altron
Posts: 209
Joined: 16 Mar 2015
Location: Tokyo

Post 28 Dec 2021

huggermugger wrote:
28 Dec 2021
It's impressive, but as with many of these custom Combinators that people are designing, I don't see the point. In this case, you've basically reproduced the VST front panel. Why not just open the VST and work there? A Combinator version just seems redundant.
There are several reasons for it (partly primarily for my own use cases). Some of them are ...

- Being able to map controls to a h/w controller more easily. Some VSTs don't want to map to my Keylab mkII inside Reason at all so the Combinator mapping helps.
- Having a dedicated Combinator backdrop.
- I dislike popup windows.
Trap is where music goes to die.

Mataya
Posts: 282
Joined: 03 May 2019

Post 28 Dec 2021

crimsonwarlock wrote:
28 Dec 2021
I was considering doing a combi for PG-8X, as I'm one of those who want to have stuff 'in the rack' and get rid of pesky pop-up windows. Back in the days of the first MS Windows version (I think it was 1.03, yep, I'm old) there was this joke (we didn't call them memes back then): 'What is Windows?: a system to divide your screen into smaller useless parts'.

I didn't make the combi myself, as I don't like doing only parts of the VST, lacking enough controls on the combi. From there, I'm simply trying to get away from using VST plugins all together in Reason. I'm not yet there completely because some VST plugins don't have an equivalent in Reason (hello OTT), but I already decided I don't really need PG-8X. Now I'm trying to redo the few PG-8X presets I really like, in Thor or any of the many other REs I have.
Try Panda's DYN-4 compressor for OTT. Close enough for me.

M

User avatar
altron
Posts: 209
Joined: 16 Mar 2015
Location: Tokyo

Post 28 Dec 2021

crimsonwarlock wrote:
28 Dec 2021
I was considering doing a combi for PG-8X, as I'm one of those who want to have stuff 'in the rack' and get rid of pesky pop-up windows. Back in the days of the first MS Windows version (I think it was 1.03, yep, I'm old) there was this joke (we didn't call them memes back then): 'What is Windows?: a system to divide your screen into smaller useless parts'.

I didn't make the combi myself, as I don't like doing only parts of the VST, lacking enough controls on the combi. From there, I'm simply trying to get away from using VST plugins all together in Reason. I'm not yet there completely because some VST plugins don't have an equivalent in Reason (hello OTT), but I already decided I don't really need PG-8X. Now I'm trying to redo the few PG-8X presets I really like, in Thor or any of the many other REs I have.
I own a MKS-70 which is one of my favorite synths. It's basically two Roland JX-8Ps in one of which the PG-8X is an emulation of (and a very good one). The MKS-70 (and therefore the JX-8P) have sounds that I use a lot. I'm recently in a mood of moving more to software-only so the PG-8X is a keeper for me. Modern synth don't make sounds like that one anymore.
Trap is where music goes to die.

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 9400
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 28 Dec 2021

It looks good! This was one of the ones on my list of combis to create, but with the amount of stepped controls and multi-mode switches, I figured I'd wait. I'm still holding out hope they add these features!

User avatar
crimsonwarlock
Posts: 159
Joined: 06 Nov 2021
Location: Close to the Edge

Post 28 Dec 2021

Mataya wrote:
28 Dec 2021
Try Panda's DYN-4 compressor for OTT. Close enough for me.
I've seen it being referred to as such, so I picked it up last week in the current sale. I did not yet have the time to try it out, though.
altron wrote:
28 Dec 2021
...so the PG-8X is a keeper for me. Modern synth don't make sounds like that one anymore.
I've always liked the PG-8X and used it here and there before I moved to Reason. Do you think it is not possible to get those sounds out of Thor for example? I'm currently trying to redo some Synth1 sounds in Reason which is not that easy as Synth1 has some very specific options not directly available in other synths (but it's a nice challenge). However, PG-8X seems pretty standard in its setup and its filter and envelopes don't come across as special either. The only reason I use it is that it gives me direct access to numerous eighties sounding presets, but remaking those on other synths is a good exercise.

Besides that, I have the Korg REs, The Legend, and several Skrock synths that do eighties very well.

User avatar
huggermugger
Posts: 362
Joined: 16 Jul 2021

Post 28 Dec 2021

altron wrote:
28 Dec 2021
huggermugger wrote:
28 Dec 2021
It's impressive, but as with many of these custom Combinators that people are designing, I don't see the point. In this case, you've basically reproduced the VST front panel. Why not just open the VST and work there? A Combinator version just seems redundant.
There are several reasons for it (partly primarily for my own use cases). Some of them are ...

- Being able to map controls to a h/w controller more easily. Some VSTs don't want to map to my Keylab mkII inside Reason at all so the Combinator mapping helps.
- Having a dedicated Combinator backdrop.
- I dislike popup windows.
Thanks! This makes a lot of sense.

thedude
Posts: 36
Joined: 08 May 2021

Post 28 Dec 2021

crimsonwarlock wrote:
28 Dec 2021

I've always liked the PG-8X and used it here and there before I moved to Reason. Do you think it is not possible to get those sounds out of Thor for example? I'm currently trying to redo some Synth1 sounds in Reason which is not that easy as Synth1 has some very specific options not directly available in other synths (but it's a nice challenge). However, PG-8X seems pretty standard in its setup and its filter and envelopes don't come across as special either. The only reason I use it is that it gives me direct access to numerous eighties sounding presets, but remaking those on other synths is a good exercise.

Besides that, I have the Korg REs, The Legend, and several Skrock synths that do eighties very well.
It is totally plausible to recreate PG8X patches on Thor, but it can be pokey. I've done a few dozen at this point. First, when it comes to sound, the Roland OTA filter has different character to it at higher resonance vs the Moog ladder filter that's built into Thor.

When it comes to features, you have to faff around in Thor's mod matrix a bit. For instance, on the PG8X (and therefore, JX8P/JX10) you can use the envelope to modulate the DCO mixer. In thor, you'll need to assign an envelope to oscillator balance to somewhat achieve the same thing, since you can't independently change the volume of each one in Thor like you can PG8X.


Second, PG8X offers the sync, cross mod, and sync + cross mod settings in the cross mod section. For bells and some piano patches, this takes some finessing using the AM + sync option in thor to get just right.

Next, you'll want to use thor in a combinator with quartet using the juno I or juno II preset - this sounds way better than the thor built in chorus.

Then, you have the key modes - JX8P offers special unison modes with unison detune. I think you can technically get pretty close using the thor multi oscillator, but i am much too lazy to try,


..Or, you could use this fantastic combi OP made for us, or PG8X without having to mess around and make thor templates. :D

User avatar
crimsonwarlock
Posts: 159
Joined: 06 Nov 2021
Location: Close to the Edge

Post 29 Dec 2021

thedude wrote:
28 Dec 2021
..Or, you could use this fantastic combi OP made for us, or PG8X without having to mess around and make thor templates. :D
It is a very nice combinator for sure. However, I'm more a tweaker than a preset user. Recreating those presets is teaching me more about the synth I'm using to recreate. I'm also not interested to actually recreate all presets from a synth, just the ones that interest me. Bells for example I wouldn't use an analog modelled synth at all, for me, that is FM territory (I had a DX7 for decades).

Before moving to Reason, I used a lot of free emulations of famous synths, like PG-8X, Dexed, OBXD, the free VST of Viking 1 and the Korg emulations from FullBucket. But with all the great stuff available in Reason I don't think I need those anymore. So I'm slowly phasing out the use of those VSTs.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], moofi, StephenHutchinson and 0 guests