THE WRAITH - METAL GUITAR SYNTH

This forum is for sharing patches created with the updated Combinator, as well as backdrops and any backdrop assets.
Forum rules
This forum is for sharing patches created with the updated Combinator, as well as backdrops and any backdrop assets. If you would like to share a patch here as an attachment, you must zip it first. Otherwise you can host your patches elsewhere and share the links here.
artmessiah

17 Oct 2021

As I mentioned in a my other combinator thread, this is a tweaked and reskinned version of an old Subtractor & Maelstrom guitar synth. I'm no guitar player or expert so perhaps a better amp/cabinet would do this guitar justice, but for Reason stock sounds and FX it does the job and I have a few tracks that have convincing electric guitar parts in them using this combi patch. Have fun :-)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0shms46i9e7f8 ... 1.cmb?dl=0

Benedict
Competition Winner

17 Oct 2021

Interesting approach, esp with the Feedback as an extra "voice".

I did a lot of fake guitar work over the last few years with a few guitar records without guitars (and then one with). It is a very interesting branch of synthesis as many things do not work the way we usually do. Everything we do tends to have to be tradeoffs between this style of playing or that style of playing which is very different from the guitarist who has one plank and maybe a few pedals to run the gamut from chicken pickin' Bluegrass to Death Metal.

Ultimately Scream will probably serve you better for Drives but you may well have to layer a few to get that huge Rock/Metal sound as it is a bit more civilized for synths and general mixing duties. I used Scream a lot with the real guitarist who did my last album with me. He loved the sound. Like me he is entirely unconvinced with the virtual route with Impulse Responses.

:-)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

artmessiah

17 Oct 2021

Benedict wrote:
17 Oct 2021
Interesting approach, esp with the Feedback as an extra "voice".

I did a lot of fake guitar work over the last few years with a few guitar records without guitars (and then one with). It is a very interesting branch of synthesis as many things do not work the way we usually do. Everything we do tends to have to be tradeoffs between this style of playing or that style of playing which is very different from the guitarist who has one plank and maybe a few pedals to run the gamut from chicken pickin' Bluegrass to Death Metal.

Ultimately Scream will probably serve you better for Drives but you may well have to layer a few to get that huge Rock/Metal sound as it is a bit more civilized for synths and general mixing duties. I used Scream a lot with the real guitarist who did my last album with me. He loved the sound. Like me he is entirely unconvinced with the virtual route with Impulse Responses.

Good idea on layering screams, gonna try it today and yeah it is an interesting method that does have tradeoffs depending on the individual playing style. I didn't want to over do it with too many effects as I wanted to let whoever downloads this to add (if they want) whatever vst/rack extension/fx they need to get "their" sound. Subtractor for guitar synthesis is a fun experiment, next iteration will be with Friktion which is much easier for this type of stuff :lol:

Benedict
Competition Winner

17 Oct 2021

I used Sub a few times for guitar with great results as the tone suits, but the real dark horse is actually Europa as you have a lot of nuance because of the larger architecture.

And don't forget it has a Karpluss form which is what drives many of these album sounds: 2-3 "guitars" per track (except Noah which is Slava using a VST):

On and I almost forgot some guitars are a VST called Matcha from Wedge Force (an odd one with samples and synthesis). I also tried out Revitar 2 on a few - ultimately Europa can do all that once you work it out.
I did a very scratchy A-B of Matcha against a Europa synth using a MIDI File of The Trooper for a laugh.
Benedict Roff-Marsh

artmessiah

17 Oct 2021

Benedict wrote:
17 Oct 2021
On and I almost forgot some guitars are a VST called Matcha from Wedge Force (an odd one with samples and synthesis). I also tried out Revitar 2 on a few - ultimately Europa can do all that once you work it out.
I did a very scratchy A-B of Matcha against a Europa synth using a MIDI File of The Trooper for a laugh.
Awesome!

Benedict
Competition Winner

17 Oct 2021

Odd as The Trooper is the thing that gets the most reaction when in reality, it is the roughest work. I guess that the song is known helps. As a showpiece for what can be done, I think it is ropey at best. A few moments really work well tho, esp with Europa. Some just really fail tho.

Benedict Roff-Marsh

• Information