Would you be interested in a hosting site for Combinator patches?

This forum is for sharing patches created with the updated Combinator, as well as backdrops and any backdrop assets.
Forum rules
This forum is for sharing patches created with the updated Combinator, as well as backdrops and any backdrop assets. If you would like to share a patch here as an attachment, you must zip it first. Otherwise you can host your patches elsewhere and share the links here.

Would you be interested in a hosting site for Combinator patches?

Yes
94%
No
6%

Total votes: 47
pongasoft
RE Developer

28 Sep 2021

I was thinking it would be interesting to have a web site to host and categorize all those awesome combinator creations, especially since the addition of Combinator 2.0. Please let me know what you think in the poll...

nemesjs

28 Sep 2021

I did thought exactly the same more than a month ago, even before R12 was out because I was also a beta tester.
So at that time I made a forum for it: http://combinator.forumeiros.com
Did not gain any traction but I also lack the time (or will) to update it or advertise it... and since there is ReasonTalk forum open topic about it well...
But I did categorize according to function.

[Edit]Just updated it with my creations. It was easy. I just copy/pasted the entries from here ;) [/Edit]
Last edited by nemesjs on 28 Sep 2021, edited 1 time in total.

East Island

28 Sep 2021

Well done. Easy to share the patches.
A Controle Freak. Loves Logic&Reason&Luna ;) , remote controllers.
https://soundcloud.com/east-island

Billy+

28 Sep 2021

What about a git based version control site so updates can be implemented without to much overlap?

joeyluck

28 Sep 2021

I haven't voted yet.

I will say that what I like about the forum format is the discussion around the patches. The user can give information about the patch and design and then a conversation can be had. With patches lacking metadata, I think it's important the creators have a voice and recognition more than a readme file that most everyone skips over. The creator also has the ability to update the patch, whether they are hosting it via a direct zip attachment or linking to their host, like Google Drive.

It's funny with all of the times we want reviews in the shop for REs and comments in Companion, etc., a forum gives us that level of interaction and feedback naturally. But maybe comments could be implemented with whatever host site?

If a hosting site can have that level of interaction so people aren't just downloading patches and creators have the ability to update, that would be cool. If patch creators don't have control, I would vote no.

jamespember
Reason Studios

28 Sep 2021

What do people think about having this be inside Companion? Obviously, it'd be best if Companion was available for everyone, not just R+ subs, but that is the plan. This could integrate nicely with the rest of the content, meaning we could tag it, categorise everything and have that metadata be available in Reason in the browser etc.

joeyluck

28 Sep 2021

jamespember wrote:
28 Sep 2021
What do people think about having this be inside Companion? Obviously, it'd be best if Companion was available for everyone, not just R+ subs, but that is the plan. This could integrate nicely with the rest of the content, meaning we could tag it, categorise everything and have that metadata be available in Reason in the browser etc.
Oh hell yeah! You know I'm all about more features in Companion :)

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7524945 ;)

nickb523
RE Developer

28 Sep 2021

jamespember wrote:
28 Sep 2021
What do people think about having this be inside Companion?
Yes please!

avasopht
Competition Winner

28 Sep 2021

jamespember wrote:
28 Sep 2021
Yes

Billy+

28 Sep 2021

jamespember wrote:
28 Sep 2021
Sounds interesting and now the cost of upgrading has gone up maybe you should consider giving everyone access to the content packs as well :thumbup:

Rising Night Wave

28 Sep 2021

i voted for yes. please od so.
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro | Reason 10 | Reason+

cursors

28 Sep 2021

Hell no, I do not want to have to login every month

Kilsane

29 Sep 2021

jamespember wrote:
28 Sep 2021
Very good idea

Loque

29 Sep 2021

Would be interesting as a online resource. Would be cool to differentiate between free and payed and ofc have some search and filter functions.

A tight integration into Reason would be nice as well. I'd rather see this in the Browser instead of Companion. I'd rather had seen the Packs also directly inside the Browser. Well, maybe sometimes in the future...
Reason12, Win10

pongasoft
RE Developer

29 Sep 2021

jamespember wrote:
28 Sep 2021
I didn't think/know that you guys were interested in hosting those as well since it is work on your side and you seem to have plenty on your plate... Having RS hosting those is obviously what makes the most sense in my opinion as they should live alongside REs. I am not 100% sure that being a Companion only thing is the right path though. I think, the absolute best would be that they are available in the Reason browser directly both through searching and browsing, and downloaded on the fly when requested. There should be a way for the author to provide photos/explanation about the combinator patch (or in other words, treated like a RE in that regard) and ideally for users to (at the minimum) rate and ideally provide feedback.

If you build it as a REST api/service, then you can use the same API from Companion, the web site or the browser in Reason...

If you are really serious about it then obviously I will not build one that nobody will use...

jamespember
Reason Studios

29 Sep 2021

pongasoft wrote:
29 Sep 2021
jamespember wrote:
28 Sep 2021
I didn't think/know that you guys were interested in hosting those as well since it is work on your side and you seem to have plenty on your plate... Having RS hosting those is obviously what makes the most sense in my opinion as they should live alongside REs. I am not 100% sure that being a Companion only thing is the right path though. I think, the absolute best would be that they are available in the Reason browser directly both through searching and browsing, and downloaded on the fly when requested. There should be a way for the author to provide photos/explanation about the combinator patch (or in other words, treated like a RE in that regard) and ideally for users to (at the minimum) rate and ideally provide feedback.

If you build it as a REST api/service, then you can use the same API from Companion, the web site or the browser in Reason...

If you are really serious about it then obviously I will not build one that nobody will use...
It was just an idea from my side, so don't want to steal your thunder. Community driven is always a great thing. Perhaps we can chat on DM.

Heigen5

29 Sep 2021

Our Reasonheads forums let you attach .reason .rfl .cmb .repatch .rex and .rx2 files and no need to zip anything. ;)
We have 15mb per attachment atm.

challism

29 Sep 2021

jamespember wrote:
28 Sep 2021
I love the idea, James. To be clear, this would be an additional feature inside Companion that users could upload and download their own Combi2 contributions? And it would eventually be free for everyone to use (not just R+ subs)?

I love the idea of making Companion more of a community driven asset. As we discussed in the R+ beta, I would like to see something emerge inside Companion akin to the Allihoopla collaboration model. This Combi2 project looks like a solid set in that direction. And to Joey's comment, it would be great to have some kind of discussion forum attached to the patches. Maybe RS could get some volunteer moderators to oversee the comments and make sure they aren't becoming abusive, spammy, etc. Exciting idea, James!
cursors wrote:
28 Sep 2021
And you are opposed to this why, exactly? A free bonus service that you don't even have to use. I can't tell if you are trolling or not.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Faastwalker

30 Sep 2021

jamespember wrote:
28 Sep 2021
What do people think about having this be inside Companion?
Yes Yes Yes!! :D

cursors

30 Sep 2021

challism wrote:
29 Sep 2021

cursors wrote:
28 Sep 2021
And you are opposed to this why, exactly? A free bonus service that you don't even have to use. I can't tell if you are trolling or not.
I'm not trolling, I have an interest in that I have three licences and one of my computers will never be on line. I have two Ignition Keys. At the moment we just install the software as normal. I do not wish to have to go online all the time.
When I hear James talk about Companion I just know that eventually it will have a subscription

challism

30 Sep 2021

cursors wrote:
30 Sep 2021
challism wrote:
29 Sep 2021

I'm not trolling, I have an interest in that I have three licences and one of my computers will never be on line. I have two Ignition Keys. At the moment we just install the software as normal. I do not wish to have to go online all the time.
When I hear James talk about Companion I just know that eventually it will have a subscription
I believe RS are trying to fix that online limitation of Companion. Once that is solved, will you have any objections to Companion replacing Authorizer? Personally, I don't miss Authorizer at all, it's absolutely terrible compared to Companion. But I do understand your concerns about having to constantly go online. I hope RS get that sorted out soon.

All of that aside, do you have any objections to the specific topic of this thread, ie Companion/RS hosting a database of user generated Combi2 contributions?

avasopht
Competition Winner

30 Sep 2021

Companion has a good and solid feel to it.

cursors

30 Sep 2021

challism wrote:
30 Sep 2021

All of that aside, do you have any objections to the specific topic of this thread, ie Companion/RS hosting a database of user generated Combi2 contributions?
I have no problem getting more Combinator content, but at the moment you have to sign up to Companion and that's why I objected to it.

challism

30 Sep 2021

cursors wrote:
30 Sep 2021
challism wrote:
30 Sep 2021

I have no problem getting more Combinator content, but at the moment you have to sign up to Companion and that's why I objected to it.
As James said, the plan is to make Companion available to all Reason users. So I guess (eventually) you won't have any objections to it. I hope that day is sooner rather than later.
jamespember wrote:
28 Sep 2021
Obviously, it'd be best if Companion was available for everyone, not just R+ subs, but that is the plan.

cursors

30 Sep 2021

challism wrote:
30 Sep 2021

As James said, the plan is to make Companion available to all Reason users. So I guess (eventually) you won't have any objections to it. I hope that day is sooner rather than later.
jamespember wrote:
28 Sep 2021
Obviously, it'd be best if Companion was available for everyone, not just R+ subs, but that is the plan.
I hope so too :puf_smile:

• Information