LED VU Meter

This forum is for sharing patches created with the updated Combinator, as well as backdrops and any backdrop assets.
Forum rules
This forum is for sharing patches created with the updated Combinator, as well as backdrops and any backdrop assets. If you would like to share a patch here as an attachment, you must zip it first. Otherwise you can host your patches elsewhere and share the links here.
nemesjs

03 Sep 2021

So, after the vintage one I had to come up with this. It's a fully working 2 channel LED VU Meter in a 1U combinator panel...

This one gave me a little bit more effort to make. I believe it is also a bit CPU intensive...

Check out the video of it working:

This time I used 20 square green and red light buttons (what a waste...) to resemble a L/R LED stripes.
Again, I had to resort to loopMIDI to achieve this effect but I hope Reason Studio Devs will check this out so we will have this and many other awesome features available in the forthcoming iterations of the new combinator without having to resort to 3rd party software.

[EDIT] Kudos to the makers of this fundamental Re I used to perform this trick:

Red Rock Sound | RE 180 Dynamic Driver
[/EDIT]

Anyone willing to try this I leave here the combinator file:

LED VU-Meter.zip
[EDIT this is a new version - 03-09-2021 21:00]

Beware that for this all to work you will have to manually map the 20 led buttons each one to a CC on loopMIDI Channel 1 (more instructions on the Read Me file)
And of course you will need to install Tobias Erichsen's loopMIDI: https://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software ... window."

Have fun!
Last edited by nemesjs on 25 Sep 2021, edited 4 times in total.

nemesjs

03 Sep 2021

joeyluck wrote:
03 Sep 2021
Haha very cool!
Thanks Joey!I loved doing this one, so fun! :thumbup:

MixerJaexx

03 Sep 2021

That’s my concern in designing Combinator is making them CPU efficient (even though I rock an overclocked desktop i9 de-soldered with a custom lid and an Apple M1 laptop). I’ve noticed rack extensions, even simple utility ones, are way less efficient compared to stock devices. Like, in testing I’ve done, running a simple Combinator with some rack extension devices, I could duplicate them about 40 times and the DPS meter would increase by four bars while building the same thing using stock devices, the DSP was like not even registering one bar.

So even if there was a way to create meters without loopMIDI, I probably wouldn’t do it if it made a big hit on DSP. That’s why I’m totally with you on hoping Propellerhead, er… Reason Studios… creates things like meters, spectrum analyzers (such as the BV512’s) and other things. Primarily for the DSP efficiency.
Mixer Jaëxx
www.jaexx.com

• Information