Coming soon: Drumbinator

This forum is for sharing patches created with the updated Combinator, as well as backdrops and any backdrop assets.
Forum rules
This forum is for sharing patches created with the updated Combinator, as well as backdrops and any backdrop assets. If you would like to share a patch here as an attachment, you must zip it first. Otherwise you can host your patches elsewhere and share the links here.
fieldframe
RE Developer

02 Sep 2021

Combinator 2 enables something I've wanted to do for a long time in Reason: Build a drum machine out of individual synths.

The idea behind Drumbinator is to let you control up to six synths as a single drum module, while making it easy to swap out each drum voice with a different synth. The way it's set up, you can drag a new device or preset onto the existing one and it will retain its key mapping (via CV from a silent Redrum) and its volume / pan / mute (via a mixer14:2). Macros are then easy to assign using Combinator 2's right-click assignment, and of course you can change the labels for your custom drum machine parameters.

I've been working on this during the beta, and hope to have it out soon!

6F980DDD-47C5-4DA4-86A7-D3A06E99AD0E.jpeg
6F980DDD-47C5-4DA4-86A7-D3A06E99AD0E.jpeg (378.72 KiB) Viewed 2105 times

esselfortium

02 Sep 2021

That looks great! I really like the bright and clean UI design.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

Ottostrom

02 Sep 2021

I really like the idea and the UI for this! :)

joeyluck

02 Sep 2021

esselfortium wrote:
02 Sep 2021
That looks great! I really like the bright and clean UI design.
Agreed! This is very nice looking :clap:

jamespember
Reason Studios

02 Sep 2021

Really awesome idea. Love seeing all the creativity out there!

MixerJaexx

03 Sep 2021

Dude, to me, the most impressive thing is your workflow idea.
fieldframe wrote:
02 Sep 2021
you can drag a new device or preset onto the existing one and it will retain its key mapping (via CV from a silent Redrum) and its volume / pan / mute (via a mixer14:2).
Yeah, that's awesome. I assume you'd stick with one synth device (say a Subtractor) for pad 1 and focus on just Subtractor patches. I assume the envelop(s) is key to getting it sounding right as a drum hit when loading in different patches. Different patches, such as a pad, will overwrite any envelop settings and create an undesirable hit. Have you considered mapping controls to the Combinator's front panel to re-position the envelop of a device after the patch's been loaded? It could be knobs or faders (more control, but harder) or maybe button(s) with on / off states matching general envelope states that work well for drum pads (less control, but easier).

I'm thinking you want to avoid a situation where a person has to keep adjusting too many controls each time a patch is loaded.
Mixer Jaëxx
www.jaexx.com

• Information