Glitch Rhythm Generator

This forum is for sharing patches created with the updated Combinator, as well as backdrops and any backdrop assets.
Forum rules
This forum is for sharing patches created with the updated Combinator, as well as backdrops and any backdrop assets. If you would like to share a patch here as an attachment, you must zip it first. Otherwise you can host your patches elsewhere and share the links here.
crimsonwarlock

16 Jan 2022

After seeing Adam Fielding (@adfielding) using a VST called Ruidoz to generate glitchy rhythms that he uses as a backdrop for the main beat, it inspired me to build a combinator for generating glitchy rhythms.

So here it is:
clithch-rhythm-screenshot.png
clithch-rhythm-screenshot.png (191.88 KiB) Viewed 3309 times

It basically uses a Beatmap that sequences 8 instances of Algoritm. You can substitute Algoritm for any other synthesizer, drum machine or sample player, But I choose Algoritm specifically for its ability to easily randomize new glitchy sounds. Together with the Spawn XY option in Beatmap and the addition of the Glitch RE, there are many possibilities for happy accidents.

This combinator uses a few commercial REs, some free ones and a few stock devices:

- reMIX 14 channel mixer (stock)
- Pulsar Dual LFO (stock)
- BeatMap player (stock)
- Algoritm synthesizer (8X, commercial RE)
- Quadelectra TriGater Trigger to CV (commercial RE)
- Ochen K. Glitch (commercial RE)
- Lectric Panda UTL (free RE)
- KiloHearts Delay (free RE)
- Aftermath Audio CV8X4 (free RE)
-Pepin Hazan Front8 (free RE)
EDIT: if you don't have Trigater, but you have AutoLatch and Delta, you can download Chalism's version:
viewtopic.php?p=619473#p619473
Unfortunately, it is not possible to automate the random generation of patches in Algoritm, same for the Spawn XY function on BeatMap, for those options you need to open the devices panel of the combinator. After generating some stuff there, you can then glitch up your rhythm further and do some mixing of the sounds on the combinator front panel. Solo and Mute buttons are there for each channel to help with tweaking and mixing, but also to select the specific parts of the rhythm you want to use.

Happy glitching :puf_bigsmile:
Attachments
glitch-rhythm.rar
(380.13 KiB) Downloaded 160 times
Last edited by crimsonwarlock on 01 Oct 2022, edited 2 times in total.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

Tinnitus

26 Sep 2022

This looks fun. I don't have the Tri gate re so can't test test this out sadly.
I did find this video and wondered if your couldn't stimulate the spawn x y functionality?

crimsonwarlock

26 Sep 2022

Tinnitus wrote:
26 Sep 2022
If you want to test my combinator, you could trial trigater. It's a very nice toolbox for triggers.
Tinnitus wrote:
26 Sep 2022
I did find this video and wondered if your couldn't stimulate the spawn x y functionality?
Nice find. I did see that sample-and-hold trick with A-B switch in one of Poobear's videos as well. I might do a version 2 of this combi and put that in. Thanks for the suggestion. I also didn't think of simply putting two knobs to at least be able to set the X/Y position from the combinator front panel. Might add that also.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

challism

29 Sep 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
16 Jan 2022

This combinator uses a few commercial REs, some free ones and a few stock devices:

- Quadelectra TriGater Trigger to CV (commercial RE)
Thanks for sharing. This looks interesting. I'd like to try it out, but can't; I don't have TriGater. Nor am Iinterested in buying/trialing it. I'm just curious if there is any other RE you can think of that could be substituted for TriGater? What exactly is TriGater doing in this Combi?
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

crimsonwarlock

29 Sep 2022

challism wrote:
29 Sep 2022
What exactly is TriGater doing in this Combi?
Beatmap sends out triggers instead of real gates. A drum trigger is too short for synthesizer notes. Trigater is specifically meant to turn triggers into gates with a defined gate-length (set to 1/16 in my combi). There might be other options to do this, but I'm not aware of another RE that can do this. Trigater is very handy if you want to trigger synth stuff from drum sequencers and such. It has some more nice options in this regard.
-------

challism

29 Sep 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
29 Sep 2022
challism wrote:
29 Sep 2022
What exactly is TriGater doing in this Combi?
Beatmap sends out triggers instead of real gates. A drum trigger is too short for synthesizer notes. Trigater is specifically meant to turn triggers into gates with a defined gate-length (set to 1/16 in my combi). There might be other options to do this, but I'm not aware of another RE that can do this. Trigater is very handy if you want to trigger synth stuff from drum sequencers and such. It has some more nice options in this regard.
Ah, thanks for clarifying. Sounds like a job for Static Cling AutoLatch (placed right behind Beatmap). Lengthening note gates is pretty much AutoLatch's only job... and it's amazing! I'm downloading your patch and will try to figure out how to replace Trigater with AutoLatch. Thanks again for sharing!

crimsonwarlock

29 Sep 2022

challism wrote:
29 Sep 2022
Ah, thanks for clarifying. Sounds like a job for Static Cling AutoLatch (placed right behind Beatmap). Lengthening note gates is pretty much AutoLatch's only job... and it's amazing! I'm downloading your patch and will try to figure out how to replace Trigater with AutoLatch. Thanks again for sharing!
The "trick" I use is that I use the trigger outputs of Beatmap, that go into Trigater and then to the eight separate Algoritm instances. If you use AutoLatch, which is a player if I'm correct, you need to find a way to split the Beatmap triggers after that. Or maybe run the trigger outputs from Beatmap into eight CV player Taps with an AutoLatch after each and another eight player taps after those. Hmmm.... this illustrates nicely why Trigater is an actual outstanding device :puf_bigsmile:

Let me know here is you get it to work :thumbup:
-------

challism

30 Sep 2022

I decided to use AutoLatch and Delta. Seems to be working great (although I can't really compare the performance to that of TriGater. I removed Front8 and have Delta running straight to the CV8x4. I removed LP UTL and have Delta doing the job of velocity randomization. I programmed the Combi mute/solo buttons to target the mixer mute/solo buttons. I also added LeNote Receive Notes to stop the notes/gates from being fed to the first Algoritm.
crimsonwarlock wrote:
29 Sep 2022
this illustrates nicely why Trigater is an actual outstanding device :puf_bigsmile:
This nicely illustrates the power of Delta. ;)

- reMIX 14 channel mixer (stock)
- Pulsar Dual LFO (stock)
- BeatMap player (stock)
- Algoritm synthesizer (8X, commercial RE)
-Static Cling Delta (commercial RE)
-Static Cling AutoLatch (commercial RE)
-LeNote Receive Notes (free RE)
- Ochen K. Glitch (commercial RE)
- KiloHearts Delay (free RE)
- Aftermath Audio CV8X4 (free RE)
glitch-rhythm-delta-sub.zip
(386.2 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
Tinnitus wrote:
26 Sep 2022
If you've got Delta and AutoLatch, you can try my patch out.

crimsonwarlock

01 Oct 2022

challism wrote:
30 Sep 2022
I'm well aware of the power of Delta, will pick it up some day myself but so far, haven't missed it :puf_bigsmile:
challism wrote:
30 Sep 2022
Nice :clap: I added a link to your post in the first post of the topic :thumbup:
-------

Tinnitus

07 Oct 2022

challism wrote:
30 Sep 2022
I decided to use AutoLatch and Delta. Seems to be working great (although I can't really compare the performance to that of TriGater. I removed Front8 and have Delta running straight to the CV8x4. I removed LP UTL and have Delta doing the job of velocity randomization. I programmed the Combi mute/solo buttons to target the mixer mute/solo buttons. I also added LeNote Receive Notes to stop the notes/gates from being fed to the first Algoritm.
crimsonwarlock wrote:
29 Sep 2022
this illustrates nicely why Trigater is an actual outstanding device :puf_bigsmile:

Tinnitus wrote:
26 Sep 2022
Just Delta but no auto latch! I do appreciate your efforts though. Thanks.

challism

07 Oct 2022

Tinnitus wrote:
07 Oct 2022
Just Delta but no auto latch! I do appreciate your efforts though. Thanks.
I suggest giving AutoLatch a try (and buying for $10 during the next sale). It's way more useful than it first appears. I use it all the time. It can add so much variety and experimental directions to your tracks. I highly recommend it. I immediately dismissed it when it first came out (not understanding how useful it really is). It could use some better marketing/promotional work on the page. I didn't try it until it was out for at least a year. Then I decided to try it for some reason and I ended up buying it after about 2 minutes.

• Information