MultiTap Filtered Delay FX

This forum is for sharing patches created with the updated Combinator, as well as backdrops and any backdrop assets.
Forum rules
This forum is for sharing patches created with the updated Combinator, as well as backdrops and any backdrop assets. If you would like to share a patch here as an attachment, you must zip it first. Otherwise you can host your patches elsewhere and share the links here.
selig
RE Developer

03 May 2022

Inspired by a thread asking about a similar effect, I built this one and already used it on multiple new songs!
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7527694&p=605326#p605326
I based mine on a similar setting on my old PCM-70, updated to include the ideas mentioned elsewhere such as LFO modulation of the filter frequencies.

IMPORTANT: since these are all separate delay devices, there is slight latency between them which adds up because they are cascaded one into the other. For totally precise delays synced to tempo, you'll likely need to turn off "Render audio using audio card buffer size setting" in the Audio tab of the main PREFs. This may affect other things, sorry no way around this!
Since each delay cascades into the next, any delay modulation via LFO (left side of interface) may also affect delay times if used excessively. The filters OTOH are all independent of the cascading delay path, so they are not going to accumulate, luckily!
The tuning of the filters is calibrated to MIDI note numbers, so a value of 60 equals middle C. The default settings have the filters tuned to octaves in C, the two additional presets are tuned to C minor. Use the Master Filter tune to 'transpose' all filters to other keys.

Here is the download for the default Combi and two presets:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vsm83o6u6vekq ... y.zip?dl=0
Selig Audio, LLC

challism

03 May 2022

Thanks for sharing. This looks great.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Despondo
Competition Winner

03 May 2022

Awesome! Thanks for sharing.

moofi

22 May 2022

Currently working on a Pad-Arpeggio Ambient Song and put Multi Tap on top of one of the synthlines with very pleasing results. The filtertune feature is pretty neat, especially when modulating it. Thank you very much :-)

moofi

22 May 2022

Btw including a Resonance setting for every filter would be pleasant because when risen it adds a pleasant grit to the sound. :clap:
Could do so myself, then I felt it could be a pleasant feature for everyone.

selig
RE Developer

23 May 2022

moofi wrote:
22 May 2022
Btw including a Resonance setting for every filter would be pleasant because when risen it adds a pleasant grit to the sound. :clap:
There is already a resonance control globally - do you mean you would want individual resonance controls for each delay tap?
Selig Audio, LLC

moofi

24 May 2022

Ah, didn´t even notice yet there was a Master Resonance but yes, individually :-)
Once again, very pleasant combi :thumbs_up:
selig wrote:
23 May 2022
moofi wrote:
22 May 2022
There is already a resonance control globally - do you mean you would want individual resonance controls for each delay tap?

moofi

24 May 2022

Aswell Ping-Pong On/Off for every channel :-)
Unfortunately all 32 available knobs are already in use with the resonance knobs being added, otherwise there could have been a pan-option for the Ping-Pong aswell.
Possibly Ping-Pong-Panning is even more important though?

selig
RE Developer

25 May 2022

moofi wrote:
24 May 2022
Unfortunately all 32 available knobs are already in use with the resonance knobs being added, otherwise there could have been a pan-option for the Ping-Pong aswell.
I originally had that planned but it’s trickier than I expected so I temporally removed it. It would be global, probably just on/off such that each feedback repeat would be opposite of the initial panning - so no panning, no ping-pong. Will keep folks updated in this thread!
Selig Audio, LLC

moofi

25 May 2022

What I really like about ping-pong-panning is modulating the pan parameter for an interestingly versatile stereospread, hence the question if it isn´t even more important than the filter resonace, though I would truely like that option aswell. Then I think it might be best for the given situation of not having enough knobs available to connect the ping-pong-pan in addition to the regular pan control for each channel while implementing individual resonance knobs. Gonna implement it here for testing.
selig wrote:
25 May 2022
moofi wrote:
24 May 2022
I originally had that planned but it’s trickier than I expected so I temporally removed it. It would be global, probably just on/off such that each feedback repeat would be opposite of the initial panning - so no panning, no ping-pong. Will keep folks updated in this thread!

moofi

26 May 2022

Ah, I see how you did it, so no easy ping-pong possible, ah well :-)
Not having thought this through yet, then could the echo´s breakout be used for that purpose, so you wouldn´t have to create your own feedback loop?

selig
RE Developer

26 May 2022

moofi wrote:
26 May 2022
Ah, I see how you did it, so no easy ping-pong possible, ah well :-)
Not having thought this through yet, then could the echo´s breakout be used for that purpose, so you wouldn´t have to create your own feedback loop?
You still need a VCA/level control in the feedback loop, but yes it could be done with a Line Mixer since all feedback 'returns' to Tap 1 in this model.
BTW, this is exactly the type of discussion I was hoping to generate when posting Combinators, since it is 'open source' and everyone can join in to create the main version as well as modifications to create new variations etc!

[EDIT: you can already get a ping pong effect by using the first two taps w/feedback on the second with T1 panned left and T2 panned right. There are a few other combinations that do the same thing, fwiw]
Selig Audio, LLC

moofi

26 May 2022

Yes, the ping-pong already works with the general pan for every tap, aswell modulating them. Then I would like each tap´s potentially introduced feedback to bounce aswell. Even though it´s double panned so to speak, yet exactly for that reason it´s quite interesting.
Gonna check out the breakout jacks approach. Still, additional knobs would be needed to control both panoramas uniquely, not only inverting the ping-pong pan in relation to the single-tap pan like I did for now by linking the both to the same knob.
selig wrote:
26 May 2022
[EDIT: you can already get a ping pong effect by using the first two taps w/feedback on the second with T1 panned left and T2 panned right. There are a few other combinations that do the same thing, fwiw]
Most of the time I´m quite interested in exploring things I´m interested in :-D
Actually happy to be able to talk about stuff like this here because I feel like the forum could inhabit more of it like it did back in the days.
Not talking about the initial content but the conversations or their lacking afterwards.

selig wrote:
26 May 2022
[...]
BTW, this is exactly the type of discussion I was hoping to generate when posting Combinators, since it is 'open source' and everyone can join in to create the main version as well as modifications to create new variations etc!

• Information