Win 7 Ultimate

This forum is for discussing the Reason Rack Plugin, the version of the Reason rack that runs as a VST3, AU, AAX in other DAWs.
zimmerxyz

02 Sep 2021

Is there ANY chance for a win 7 ultimate user like me to get the R12 Rack (win 10)) working?

Billy+

02 Sep 2021

zimmerxyz wrote:
02 Sep 2021
Is there ANY chance for a win 7 ultimate user like me to get the R12 Rack (win 10)) working?
Upgrade to windows 10 :thumbup:

I'm right in the middle of upgrading a laptop now ;)

zimmerxyz

02 Sep 2021

Not the easy way for me. :puf_unhappy:

zimmerxyz

02 Sep 2021

Ive got some vsts that are official win 8 or win 10 that are working.
Maybe R12 Rack too?

Billy+

02 Sep 2021

zimmerxyz wrote:
02 Sep 2021
Ive got some vsts that are official win 8 or win 10 that are working.
Maybe R12 Rack too?
It's 10 only, don't mess with your current setup if you don't need to.

Dayta

28 Sep 2021

im just gonna put my 2 cents in here .. up to like a few weeks ago (when i got reason+) was forced to jump to windows 10 .. and concidering ive had a pretty good education like running alot of server stuff for companys i concider myself someone who knows what he is doing and from my point of view windows 10 is such a pain in the behind .. my main machine will still run windows 7. the amount of stuff one has to clear the system of after a clean windows 10 installation is insane. i can understand the need to move on at some point and i even feel sorry for the developer of reason im sure they are forced themselves at one point or another. so far i think we are actualy forced to use win 10 i propably gonna go with isolated hardware for a reason only machine at some point after ive cleared windows 10 down to what is essentialy needed for reason
its getting harder with each new windows version to strip it down so it does what its supposed to do and stops doing someone else might like to have running on your machine with or without your concent. i know reason developer have propably their hands full doing the more important stuff but after youve implemented the video track .. concider a standalone version of reason without any operating system underneath .. windows and microsoft wont be there for ever and the faster you make that move ... well i think its wichful thinking at this point :) but i loved the amiga slamming in protracker disc switching on the machine and start making music without waiting for some dns client connection to search for ip configuration of ... wtf :D

NostraDAWmus

28 Sep 2021

Dayta wrote:
28 Sep 2021
... and from my point of view windows 10 is such a pain in the behind .. my main machine will still run windows 7. the amount of stuff one has to clear the system of after a clean windows 10 installation is insane.
Confirmed !
Win10 is still not good for audio/MIDI.

I run 2 Win7 Pro SP1 DAW machines,- and 2 Win 10 Pro computers,- desktop and laptop.
My main DAW is Win 7 Pro SP1 64Bit and runs Reason 10.4 and 11.3.x,- Presonus Studio One Pro 4.6, Tracktion 7 and occasionally latest Reaper in addition.
Most plugins run flawlessly on Win 7,- NI Komplete Ultimate CE, Sonic Projects OPX Pro II, Cherry Audio stuff lots of good freebies like discoDSP OBX-d, Full Bucket Music plugins and so on ...
There is absolutely no neccessity runing Win10 for audio/MIDI.
Reaper is a good example ´cause it runs 32Bit on Win XP still and Win 7 - 10, even LInux.

I can run my S|C Scope v7 x64 / XITE-1 DSP system in my oldest DAW Win XP rackmount as also Win7 Pro SP1 x64 (desktop) or Win10 Pro 64Bit laptop.
Same rules for Scope v7 PCI on the 32Bit Win7 Pro SP1 aux DAW machine.

Jumping OS is almost only a (ASIO) driver thing,- sometimes graphics too.
Win 10 related, plugins w/ resizable GUI might need it,- but not all.
It really depends on the library used for the graphics.
Dayta wrote:
28 Sep 2021
i can understand the need to move on at some point and i even feel sorry for the developer of reason im sure they are forced themselves at one point or another. so far i think we are actualy forced to use win 10 i propably gonna go with isolated hardware for a reason only machine at some point after ive cleared windows 10 down to what is essentialy needed for reason
You can clear as much as you can,- you´ll get some of the bloatware back with Win10 automatic updates,- and Win 10 always wants to call home.
It even is searching for updates when it´s paused for a couple of days in system settings.
And it won´t be better w/ Win 11.
Microsoft does not care much for the audio/MIDI user community,- it´s too small compared to the gazillions of other consumer electronics customers.
Dayta wrote:
28 Sep 2021
its getting harder with each new windows version to strip it down so it does what its supposed to do and stops doing someone else might like to have running on your machine with or without your concent. i know reason developer have propably their hands full doing the more important stuff but after youve implemented the video track .. concider a standalone version of reason without any operating system underneath ..
I guess the latter won´t happen,- but they should make it run on Linux and optimize for native Mac M1, M1X etc..

I don´t say Apple is better than Microsoft,- but AFAIK,- because of processor architecture, the new Apple machines shall be able to run multipöe OS,- MacOS, Windows and Linux.
Maybe optimizing for Apple brings it closer to Linux too ?

The RRP might be Reason´s future and should be optimized AFAP !
Reason will be behind all the other fully fledged DAW applications in regards of MIDI and audio recording/editing anyway.
The other leading applications move on very fast too,- very hard for ReasonStudios to gain on ´em soon or overtake.
It might cost too many ressources.

The RRP, when it runs all the Reason devices perfect and worked MIDI multitimbral, would be good.
Recording and editing in "the other" DAW,- like we did w/ Rewire,- would be the best,- at least for me.

P.

• Information