Matrix, Midi out and Ableton Live

This forum is for discussing the Reason Rack Plugin, the version of the Reason rack that runs as a VST3, AU, AAX in other DAWs.
Mordikkuss

07 Jan 2021

Hello,

I know Reason quite well and have recently become interested in Ableton Live ;
I would like to use the midi out in the Reason rack to modulate some knobs in Live.

Currently, I am having fun with racks in Live and I would like for example to modulate "macros" via a Matrix (Yes, I'm Matrix addict..), is this possible?
If not, do you know of an alternative to Matrix that I could use in Live?

Thanks for your help !

Mordikkuss

12 Jan 2021

Hello,

After some research, it is impossible to modulate anything in Live through the Midi Out module.

Interesting article on the subject:
https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques ... eason-live
Live does not sort MIDI messages by channel and, as of now, also does not receive CC messages from the MIDI Out device
Presentation video of Reason's Midi Out module, which shows the modulation possibilities between Reason Rack VST and Logic Pro but not with Live. (at 3:03) :

w1pl0c

12 Jan 2021

Not sure about the Matrix you're talking about, but I think you can control Ableton knobs w/ reason by running the programs in parallel (not rewire or RRP, but midi clock sync). And using IAC bus (mac) or loopMidi (or alternative, PC) to route the Midi cc. I'd suggest research on sending midi sync clock between programs.

Which Matrix are you talking about?

PhillipOrdonez

12 Jan 2021

That's right, the RRP cannot modulate live devices as of yet.

In the mean time, there must be a m4l device that can do the same thing. However that would only be available for live suite users.

Mordikkuss

12 Jan 2021

I was talking about Reason's Matrix Step Sequencer, but any Reason LFO CV on the Midi Out Module, the idea would have been the same.

Using RRP in Live, for rhythmic stuff, the use of players and at the same time being able to modulate things by sending cc, that would have been good..

Thanks for the suggestion about loopMidi (I'm on Windows ..), I'll check it.

And Yes, I'll check Max4Live devices at the moment, I discover quite interesting things.

Tiny Montgomery

24 Jan 2021

Mordikkuss wrote:
07 Jan 2021
Hello,

I know Reason quite well and have recently become interested in Ableton Live ;
I would like to use the midi out in the Reason rack to modulate some knobs in Live.

Currently, I am having fun with racks in Live and I would like for example to modulate "macros" via a Matrix (Yes, I'm Matrix addict..), is this possible?
If not, do you know of an alternative to Matrix that I could use in Live?

Thanks for your help !
Try the M4L LFO tool and envelope follower. The M4L device randomiser is fun too. The LFO and envelope follower can send to multiple devices.

But yes I would like to do this In the RRP too with Ableton, it's a bit of a shame.

• Information