A RRP noob w Cubase 11 Pro - first impression

This forum is for discussing the Reason Rack Plugin, the version of the Reason rack that runs as a VST3, AU, AAX in other DAWs.
Boombastix
Competition Winner

04 Dec 2020

Cubase 11 and RRP, so far so good. I have to say I like it better than the Standalone DAW Rack in a way. Just a floating RRP window, no clutter from dozens of folded REs and Mix tracks disturbing the work, it is clean, easy to just place a floating window on one of the screens and IT STAYS open, no need to pin it :o

Makes me wonder if not RS should reconsider getting a cleaned up Rack in the DAW as well.

If I need to work on the synth I just click the synth icon on the track and the RRP pops up, no mess around it - very nice. Feels like I'm about to get on a second honeymoon with all my RE synths.

Have to say I really like the Cubase "Channel Settings" too. It is like the Rack EQ in a way, but with all insert FX, a channel strip with 6x FX, EQ, plus send FX all on one page. Want some tape saturation on that kick, bam, it is just one click to activate and right in front of my nose. Just grab-n-go, kinda way. Not in a "I don't wanna get back into the RS browser, so I'll do it later", type way.

Million small things to learn in a new DAW, but now I'm a happy camper, and I have less need to feel frustrated over RS's DAW missing features and need of work-arounds. So, great work on the RRP Reason Gang.

Now i just want Komplete Kontrol to be able to handle VST3, layer synths, and save it as a preset. But Cubase can save an instrument with all Channel settings, so it feels this is really close to the perfect setup.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Loque

05 Dec 2020

Interesting thought about a Rack per track... Does the RRP have CV in/out or just multiple audio in/outs which could be used as audio rate CV?
Reason12, Win10

visheshl

05 Dec 2020

RRP is self contained. it only has audio out and midi out.
you can't modulate things in the DAW using CVs from RRP, at least i havent tried this.
Yes there are multiple audio outs. i dont know how you could use and audio signal to modulate something else in the DAW unless the DAW allows you to do it ?

visheshl

05 Dec 2020

@Loque

so i opened RRP in the plugin chainer. plugin chainer shows that RRP has 4 audio inputs. a midi input. 32 audio outputs and a midi output.

interestingly midi out device in RRP has 8 CV inputs which can be assigned to send Midi CC values you select. so i can connect lfo cv from some synth in RRP to CV1 input on the Midi out device. and tell it to send say Midi CC 5 to the midi out.

Now in the daw (if it permits), you could take the midi cc from the midi out and send to some other plugin, in which you can assgn the Midi CC to a parameter

Boombastix
Competition Winner

05 Dec 2020

Loque wrote: ↑
05 Dec 2020
Interesting thought about a Rack per track... Does the RRP have CV in/out or just multiple audio in/outs which could be used as audio rate CV?
You have a main stereo in and a stereo side chain in. So in theory 4 audio in. You can probably figure out how to use midi CC as a CV, but you only get 128 resolution, and I have no idea what the frequency for value update is, so.... Though there are a few VSTs that do LFO as midi CC. Cableguys have one such.
Atm routing midi CC in Cubase is above my pay-rate... I'll get there, in time...

Ok, thanks for the info. Technically the RRP could communicate with itself internally, so you can combine multiple RRP.

visheshl

05 Dec 2020

well i tried in ableton.
i could send CC to another track with another plugin. however theres no way to map the CC to a parameter.
ableton allows you to map parameters to CCs. but you have to physically move a knob or fader on any connected controller. it doesn't allow to just say that map this to cc5.
so no at least in ableton you cant use RRP to control other parameters

visheshl

05 Dec 2020

UPDATE : you can send midi CC from RRP to another Plugin however it depends on the plugin if a parameter can be controlled with the midi CC.
i loaded up Helm and it can learn midi cc by right clicking on any parameter and clicking learn midi assignment.

track 1 RRP
RRP : Little LFO cv out - > Midi out device CV in1.
Assigned CC to Cv input on Midi out device.

Track 2 Helm Midi from RRP track.
on helm Right clicked filter Freq and clicked learn midi assignment.

now i can control filter freq on helm via LFO of little LFO in RRP. and its pretty smooth, it isn't jerky movement i expected. i csn see the filter moving smoothly.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

05 Dec 2020

It works similar in Cubase, but the RRP CV will no longer work at rates above 1/8th note (120bpm), so would have to send slower CVs from RRP. (I think, I'm still a Cubase noob, but the modulation started to get jerky and random at 1/16ths)

Not sure if I would need to do that though. And while doing this, if found a tiny bug in the RRP, lol. I'm as bad a Loque in breaking shit in less than 5 min, lol :shock:

Jackjackdaw

05 Dec 2020

Cubase hates dealing with realtime modulation. It's just not built with it in mind. It's great at reading and writing automation & cc in lanes but it isn't a modular environment like Reason. It expects VSTs to handle their modulations in a self contained manner .

Boombastix
Competition Winner

10 Dec 2020

When browsing a patch in RRP it STAYS on orange/selected even if I make changes to my Cubase tracks or another VST, the focus isn't lost, ha ha ha. Gone are the days of getting crazy when adding new instruments by mistake or forced to clicking on "browse" again just because I adjusted the volume a tad. It is better, better, better... Or should I say, they way it should be.

antic604

18 Dec 2020

Jackjackdaw wrote: ↑
05 Dec 2020
Cubase hates dealing with realtime modulation...
Wouldn't that be dependant on audio settings, though? Peraps disabling ASIO Guard would help?
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Jackjackdaw

18 Dec 2020

antic604 wrote: ↑
18 Dec 2020
05 Dec 2020
Cubase hates dealing with realtime modulation...
Wouldn't that be dependant on audio settings, though? Peraps disabling ASIO Guard would help?
No, I mean it doesn't facilitate a constant modulation source affecting parameters (in the way you are accustomed to in Reason). Just not designed for it. You put your modulation data in a linear fashion in lanes to be played with the play head. There is an LFO you can assign to CC but it is terrible.

antic604

18 Dec 2020

18 Dec 2020
antic604 wrote: ↑
18 Dec 2020

No, I mean it doesn't facilitate a constant modulation source affecting parameters (in the way you are accustomed to in Reason). Just not designed for it. You put your modulation data in a linear fashion in lanes to be played with the play head. There is an LFO you can assign to CC but it is terrible.
I know what you mean. However, ASIO Guard pre-"renders" unarmed tracks in the background when it has "space" in CPU time (that's why Cubases plugin performance is so high) and maybe that buffering is the reason why it doesn't update the automated parameter's state fast enough?

Take a look at the 'restrictions' and a 'note' here:
https://steinberg.help/cubase_pro_artis ... ard_c.html
The ASIO-Guard allows you to shift as much processing as possible from the ASIO realtime path to the ASIO-Guard processing path. This results in a more stable system.

The ASIO-Guard allows you to pre-process all channels as well as VST instruments that do not need to be calculated in realtime. This leads to less dropouts, the ability to process more tracks or plug-ins, and the ability to use smaller buffer sizes.
The ASIO-Guard cannot be used for:
  • Realtime-dependent signals
  • External effects and instruments
If you select Devices > Plug-in Manager and click Show Plug-in Information, you can deactivate the ASIO-Guard option for selected plug-ins.
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Boombastix
Competition Winner

18 Dec 2020

I gonna check my ASIO setting when I'm back home. Don't think I need it with a Ryzen 9, πŸ˜‚

• Information