Do Players work in Ableton Live?

This forum is for discussing the Reason Rack Plugin, the version of the Reason rack that runs as a VST3, AU, AAX in other DAWs.
Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

30 Nov 2020

Hi Folks,

I've had an enquiry come in from an Ableton user who is struggling to get MIDI from a pre-built MIDI Clip in Live into Players and on to another instrument.

I only have Live 10 Lite that I can test on, and I'm struggling to get them to connect - it's not a DAW that I'm particularly familiar with and it's alien enough to me that I could be missing something fundamental.

So firstly, is anyone aware of any issues running Players in Ableton Live? Also can you apply RRP as a MIDI processor in Live, and is there any tricks for setup that are needed?

Cheers,
Brian

Tiny Montgomery

30 Nov 2020

Have the midi clip on one midi track and the RRP on another separate midi track set to receive your midi track with the clip on. If the instrument is not reason set up a 3rd midi track with the instrument on set to receive reason rack plugin in both drop downs on the midi channel. This should mean the instrument receives the player midi output. When you create the player it should automatically create the midi out device beneath.

This should work although I can't test as I'm currently trying to fix a battery issue on the laptop! I'm doing from memory.

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

30 Nov 2020

Tiny Montgomery wrote:
30 Nov 2020
Have the midi clip on one midi track and the RRP on another separate midi track set to receive your midi track with the clip on. If the instrument is not reason set up a 3rd midi track with the instrument on set to receive reason rack plugin in both drop downs on the midi channel. This should mean the instrument receives the player midi output. When you create the player it should automatically create the midi out device beneath.

This should work although I can't test as I'm currently trying to fix a battery issue on the laptop! I'm doing from memory.
That's awesome dude, thanks. I can confirm this works :)

Tiny Montgomery

30 Nov 2020

You may not need a 3rd track actually, you can put the instrument after the RRP. Still got 50 mins of battery discharge before I can make sure!

Tiny Montgomery

30 Nov 2020

Obviously I won't need to tell you a touch of Note Humaniser works well chained after the player😉

visheshl

30 Nov 2020

ok. so create midi track. drag RRP on to it. in rrp drag any player into the rack. this will create a midi out device. now turn on monitor to in on this track so that it recieves midi from the keyboard even when not armed. drag synth or other vst into another track. below the clips view where the mixer is, find a drop down list, select midi from track 1. arm this track.
or you could set monitor to in on this track and leave the 1st midi tracks monitoring to auto and then arm that 1st midi track and play. the instrument track should recieve midi from first track.
be sure to select post fx in the midi from of the instrument track otherwise it will take midi straight from the clip and omit the player.

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

30 Nov 2020

Tiny Montgomery wrote:
30 Nov 2020
Obviously I won't need to tell you a touch of Note Humaniser works well chained after the player😉
Haha, indeed!

I got it working with the 3rd track and let my customer know at that point, who then confirmed that it worked, so thanks very much for that.

Oddly enough, it was Note Humanizer he was originally asking about too :D

Cheers,
Brian

• Information