Can the AAX plugin use Scales and Chords to control other instruments?

This forum is for discussing the Reason Rack Plugin, the version of the Reason rack that runs as a VST3, AU, AAX in other DAWs.
Dosx

09 May 2020

Hi,

I have just installed the reason AAX plugin and I'm wondering if there's a way to control other instruments in Pro Tools with the Scales and Chords or Arpeggiator from Reason?

Thanks
D

QVprod

10 May 2020

You have to use The Midi out Device along with it.

Dosx

11 May 2020

QVprod wrote:
10 May 2020

Thanks! This works fine in logic and Ableton but I can't get it to work in pro tools

EnochLight

12 May 2020

Dosx wrote:
11 May 2020
QVprod wrote:
10 May 2020

Thanks! This works fine in logic and Ableton but I can't get it to work in pro tools
That’s because it’s Instruments only in this first version for Pro Tools. You’ll likely see an AAX effects version next.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Dosx

12 May 2020

EnochLight wrote:
12 May 2020
Dosx wrote:
11 May 2020

That’s because it’s Instruments only in this first version for Pro Tools. You’ll likely see an AAX effects version next.
The effects work fine as an insert in Pro Tools or on a bus.
And midi in scales and chords actually works if you have notes recorded on the reason track and send the output to another instrument track.
But there doesn't seem to be a way to play in the notes and audition what you're hearing. This might be a pro tools limitation.

DonnieAlan

12 May 2020

Actually you can use any of the players in Pro Tools AAX to control any VI you want. You just have to remember to do a couple of things.
In PT, create 2 instrument tracks, one for the Reason Rack, and one for the VI. On the Rack track, open the Rack and select your player, say, the Scales and Chords. On the second inst track, install whatever VI you want the player to play.

Now you have to tell the VI track to receive the MIDI data from the Rack track. To do that, change the instrument input (NOT the track input) on the VI track from "ALL" to whatever track the Rack is on. Now the VI track will receive the MIDI data from the Rack track.

Then, you must record arm BOTH the Rack track and the VI track. Now when you play notes on your controller you will see the player respond on the rack track, and hear the results on the VI (target) track. If you record what you play, you'll record the single notes on the Rack track, but the full chords and scales on the target track. Same is true for the other players.

If you already have a MIDI track with notes on it you want the player to respond to, then just put that MIDI track on the Rack track, and you only have to record arm the target track. You can then record the output from the player onto the target track. At that point you can use the newly recorded MIDI on the target track to play the VI and turn off the players.

Hope that helps.

EnochLight

12 May 2020

Dosx wrote:
12 May 2020
And midi in scales and chords actually works if you have notes recorded on the reason track and send the output to another instrument track.
Cool. Sorry, I meant that Reason Rack Plugin AAX only shows up in the Instrument category. My bad.
Dosx wrote:
12 May 2020
But there doesn't seem to be a way to play in the notes and audition what you're hearing. This might be a pro tools limitation.
Well that sucks.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

DonnieAlan

12 May 2020

EnochLight wrote:
12 May 2020
Dosx wrote:
12 May 2020
Cool. Sorry, I meant that Reason Rack Plugin AAX only shows up in the Instrument category. My bad.
Dosx wrote:
12 May 2020
Well that sucks.
That's not correct. Please see my prior post on how that works in Pro Tools. You CAN play in a note on the Reason track and have it play a different VI on another track and hear it.

Even though Reason Rack only appears in the instrument category in Pro Tools, doesn't mean you can't use the Rack for effects. Just put the rack as an insert on an audio or AUX track and bring up whatever fx you wish and the audio will be processed like any other plugin.

Dosx

16 May 2020

DonnieAlan wrote:
12 May 2020
Actually you can use any of the players in Pro Tools AAX to control any VI you want. You just have to remember to do a couple of things.
In PT, create 2 instrument tracks, one for the Reason Rack, and one for the VI. On the Rack track, open the Rack and select your player, say, the Scales and Chords. On the second inst track, install whatever VI you want the player to play.

Now you have to tell the VI track to receive the MIDI data from the Rack track. To do that, change the instrument input (NOT the track input) on the VI track from "ALL" to whatever track the Rack is on. Now the VI track will receive the MIDI data from the Rack track.

Then, you must record arm BOTH the Rack track and the VI track. Now when you play notes on your controller you will see the player respond on the rack track, and hear the results on the VI (target) track. If you record what you play, you'll record the single notes on the Rack track, but the full chords and scales on the target track. Same is true for the other players.

If you already have a MIDI track with notes on it you want the player to respond to, then just put that MIDI track on the Rack track, and you only have to record arm the target track. You can then record the output from the player onto the target track. At that point you can use the newly recorded MIDI on the target track to play the VI and turn off the players.

Hope that helps.
Amazing!! Thanks for your help!!

• Information