Reason VST3 and Linux

This forum is for discussing the Reason Rack Plugin, the version of the Reason rack that runs as a VST3, AU, AAX in other DAWs.
jjrh

Post 30 Jun 2020

zebbleganubi wrote:
21 May 2020

if you want to access the menu bar at the top then press the alt key then press the down key separately and use left and right to go to the other menus.
Cheers that did the trick :)

Can't seem to access the filesystem but that's probably again some weird configuration issue on my part.

Seems like i'll be stuck keeping a windows machine around for the foreseeable future.

zebbleganubi

Post 17 Feb 2021

some good news. yabridge added vst3 support a few days ago (see this post for more info) and the reason rack plugin is finally (partly) working now! (im running pop os 20.04 and wine 6.0)

i only messed around with it for a quick minute but it was relatively easy to setup up and the sound is coming through ok. the rack opens up directly like any normal vst (not like with carla where you had to open up the carla vst and then the reason rack). automations from bitwig to the rack work no problem too

Screenshot from 2021-02-17 23-22-48.png

unfortunately you cant access the file system (which is the same problem that standalone reason has when running in wine). also when you save the bitwig project and open it back up, all the stuff that was in the rack will be gone. so thats a bit of a bummer. i still think its pretty amazing that this much is working though and im hopeful that these bugs might get fixed at some point in the future

heres how i installed it if anyone else is interested:
- download and extract "yabridge-3.0.0.tar.gz" from the releases page
- move the "yabridge" folder to: /home/yourusername/.local/share/
the full path should look something like this: /home/yourusername/.local/share/yabridge/README.md

- in the terminal, change to the yabridge folder:

Code: Select all

cd /home/yourusername/.local/share/yabridge
- add the wine vst3 folder to yabridge

./yabridgectl add "/home/yourusername/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Common Files/VST3"
- make yabridge search for new vsts

./yabridgectl sync
- then just make sure your daw is searching for vsts in this folder "/home/yourusername/.vst3"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

avasopht

Post 18 Feb 2021

Nice one!
---

Mauricio Duarte

Post 04 Mar 2021

zebbleganubi wrote:
17 Feb 2021
some good news. yabridge added vst3 support a few days ago (see this post for more info) and the reason rack plugin is finally (partly) working now! (im running pop os 20.04 and wine 6.0)

i only messed around with it for a quick minute but it was relatively easy to setup up and the sound is coming through ok. the rack opens up directly like any normal vst (not like with carla where you had to open up the carla vst and then the reason rack). automations from bitwig to the rack work no problem too

Screenshot from 2021-02-17 23-22-48.png

unfortunately you cant access the file system (which is the same problem that standalone reason has when running in wine). also when you save the bitwig project and open it back up, all the stuff that was in the rack will be gone. so thats a bit of a bummer. i still think its pretty amazing that this much is working though and im hopeful that these bugs might get fixed at some point in the future

heres how i installed it if anyone else is interested:
- download and extract "yabridge-3.0.0.tar.gz" from the releases page
- move the "yabridge" folder to: /home/yourusername/.local/share/
the full path should look something like this: /home/yourusername/.local/share/yabridge/README.md

- in the terminal, change to the yabridge folder:

cd /home/yourusername/.local/share/yabridge
- add the wine vst3 folder to yabridge

./yabridgectl add "/home/yourusername/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Common Files/VST3"
- make yabridge search for new vsts

./yabridgectl sync
- then just make sure your daw is searching for vsts in this folder "/home/yourusername/.vst3"
Fantastic news! Thanks a lot for sharing, I will jump to the pool this weekend and upgrade my Reason 10 in order to try this workaround :puf_smile:

Edit: so I managed to config yabridge and load the VST3 reason rack plugin. The issue I am having now is that when I try to run reason plugin without any "RE" I get another error "Missing soundbank "Factory soundbank.rfl could not be found.. etc" and the plugin just shuts down. Tried reinstalling Reason 11 again but no luck..
That's all for now, I get the same error message when I try to launch Reason 11 standalone after i log in. So It may be something related to my system/Wine..

Any ideas?
Thanks a lot

Edit: I can finally open the reason rack plugin in bitwig, sadly I still can't navigate/open my rack extensions. I am getting an error. "Unknown exception". For now I am limited to the stock instruments. At least is something but having the chance of using the RE would be best best case scenario.
Also each time I open Bitwig and load the rack, I have to update my licenses using companion.
Same problem when I run Reason 10 and try to navigate to my soundbanks/Rack extensions, same error.
Reason 11 standalone crashes when trying to launch. But well at least the plugin rack works (kinda) :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Zerosity

Post 05 Mar 2021

I wished Reason Studios would port RRP to LV2 (https://lv2plug.in/) so we could have native plugin support rather than having to deal with WINE/bridges. Doubt it will ever happen, but I will keep wishing.

• Information