Reason Rack plugin lackluster MIDI features

This forum is for discussing the Reason Rack Plugin, the version of the Reason rack that runs as a VST3, AU, AAX in other DAWs.
Ad0

25 Jan 2020

Jackjackdaw wrote:
25 Jan 2020
I'm holding off upgrading until I see Midi out and VST hosting. Sticking to the old rule of paying for what exists not what I hope they will introduce.
Right now reason 10 is fine for me. I also own reaper and I would love to use it there. But for the same reasons as you I am holding off. I bought full self driving in my tesla snd that has scarred me from ever buying things based on features they might get.

VIVIsect

25 Jan 2020

Ad0 wrote:
25 Jan 2020
Sooooooo.... any updates? Reaching beta soon? :)
Seriously. I'm getting anxious waiting for this update.

Oquasec

25 Jan 2020

Analog workflow in a modern daw = this.
Digital workflow in a modern daw= FL Studio/Cubase/Reaper.

For analog style maneuvering goodness = This.
For on the fly digital editing = FL Studio/Cubase/Reaper.
Last edited by Oquasec on 25 Jan 2020, edited 1 time in total.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

25 Jan 2020

Jackjackdaw wrote:
25 Jan 2020
I'm holding off upgrading until I see Midi out and VST hosting. Sticking to the old rule of paying for what exists not what I hope they will introduce.
Sound On Sound has a big article in the latest magazine. Not to any surprise, they point out. Lack of midi, no VST hosting, etc. Yeah, everything we've been saying for months now here at RT. Reason has always had a lot of exposure in SoS, for whatever reason, though it is a smaller DAW, but the impact of SoS on the potential users outside of Reason is perhaps large.

I hope RS realize these requests are not just some quirky Reason geek requests, but universal among all DAW users, i.e. implementing this will be imperative for their own success.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Jackjackdaw

25 Jan 2020

Sound on Sound have always taken Reason seriously, they are a quality publication. I really hope RS are taking their time making sure they nail the Midi out. Pretty much the one area Reason blows every other DAW out of the water is with the Players. They should be front and center.

Yonatan

26 Jan 2020

Boombastix wrote:
25 Jan 2020
Jackjackdaw wrote:
25 Jan 2020
I hope RS realize these requests are not just some quirky Reason geek requests, but universal among all DAW users, i.e. implementing this will be imperative for their own success.
So true. I find that what may easy be seen as "complaints" in here, very often get mentioned in the magazine reviews as well. Many here knows what is needed and what is lacking, so really hope they take it as is, that we folks who really use Reason, try our best to serve with our suggestions on what will make Reason prosperous in the long run. RS are sitting on a gold mine, if they just handle the cards right. Too often they have been playing poker with many Aces at hand but still makes quite strange choices, thus spilling expensive wine in the sand pit. We want to see them succeed, but not by milking the serious long time users in a bad way as if some quick grab hit and run company, but by becoming a win-win company for all of us who want to see a long term creative development. Every company needs a loyal but (critical) engaged user community, to stir the course over the seven seas.

Avith Ortega

05 Jul 2023

NostraDAWmus wrote:
07 Dec 2019
I cannot believe all talk about MIDI-Out ...
What´s up w/ MIDI-In ?

Noone interested in multiple MIDI - In ports/ channels ?

What´s such rack for ?
Just only cascading RSN devices making it ONE multi-instrument using a Combinator ?

What´s up when I want p.ex. several of Bitley´s "WBF R2(X)" combinator instruments in just only ONE RSN VST rack,- on individual MIDI channels, w/ different controllers assigned and on individual tracks in p.ex. Reaper (v6.0) ???
Impossible !
And why in the world doesn´t even THOR respond to MIDI Prg Changes in the rack, but does in (standalone) RSN 11 ???

Compare to a NI Kontakt rack hosting "MULTI" = 16 individual MIDI channels w/ 16 instruments loaded before using a new instance.

What did they smoke in Reason Studios when releasing this piece of shit VST3 rack ?
Who needs a rack handling just only 1 MIDI Input channel,- in hardware or software ?

I´m happy I didn´t pay for that crap because I upgraded to Reason 10 late enough and got that rack for free.
Nonetheless and even for free,- for me, the rack is useless.
Reason 10.x w/ Rewire is still better !

P.
OMG its 2023 and still the features are missing, and just when I am going to play my music LIVE and need to use all the MIDI CC IN/OUT capabilities but turns out you can only use pretty much only 5 CC's and in MIDI Channel 1 🤬😡😠

Jackjackdaw

06 Jul 2023

I am disappointed by the lack of RRP development as well.

Best bet in your case is probably to get any interconnected devices into combinators, save all your patches as presets and then load them all in to your seperate channels on different tracks/channels in your host DAW.

The lack of multitimbral midi and missing device sampling/external input means I often give RRP a miss.

NostraDAWmus

07 Jul 2023

Avith Ortega wrote:
05 Jul 2023
NostraDAWmus wrote:
07 Dec 2019
I cannot believe all talk about MIDI-Out ...
What´s up w/ MIDI-In ?

Noone interested in multiple MIDI - In ports/ channels ?

What´s such rack for ?
Just only cascading RSN devices making it ONE multi-instrument using a Combinator ?

What´s up when I want p.ex. several of Bitley´s "WBF R2(X)" combinator instruments in just only ONE RSN VST rack,- on individual MIDI channels, w/ different controllers assigned and on individual tracks in p.ex. Reaper (v6.0) ???
Impossible !
And why in the world doesn´t even THOR respond to MIDI Prg Changes in the rack, but does in (standalone) RSN 11 ???

Compare to a NI Kontakt rack hosting "MULTI" = 16 individual MIDI channels w/ 16 instruments loaded before using a new instance.

What did they smoke in Reason Studios when releasing this piece of shit VST3 rack ?
Who needs a rack handling just only 1 MIDI Input channel,- in hardware or software ?

I´m happy I didn´t pay for that crap because I upgraded to Reason 10 late enough and got that rack for free.
Nonetheless and even for free,- for me, the rack is useless.
Reason 10.x w/ Rewire is still better !

P.
OMG its 2023 and still the features are missing, and just when I am going to play my music LIVE and need to use all the MIDI CC IN/OUT capabilities but turns out you can only use pretty much only 5 CC's and in MIDI Channel 1 🤬😡😠
Thank you,- yes, it´s almost 4 years now,- unbelievable ! :thumbs_down:

Because of this, I passed upgrading to Reason12 although it was on cheapo sale shortly.
So,- I´ll use RSN 10.4 and latest v11 ´til my computer and/or the Ignition Key dies and will observe development.
When Reason Studios doesn´t move their a##,- I´ll sell the licence end of this year to be done w/ it.
Fortunately, it´s not my main DAW anyway.

:puf_unhappy:

P.

artmessiah

08 Jul 2023

Jackjackdaw wrote:
06 Jul 2023

The lack of multitimbral midi and missing device sampling/external input means I often give RRP a miss.
I say this every chance I get. I've even - I'm sure, slightly or maybe completely annoyed Mattias on Twitter with this question - with no response from him tho. I know every Reason user has that ONE thing they say will keep them Reason users and if it's not there in the next update they're done with Reason. That's not me because I genuinely like Reason, have like it since 1.0 but seriously at this point I've sorta been forced to move on to Cubase for use of Multi-Timbral instruments and ONE instance of Reason Rack for ONE instrument in that rack is kinda silly - to me. The option should at least be there for 16 channels of midi out per instance of Reason Rack imo. Also pattern drag should be an option for players as well (Drum Sequencer in particular) but really all of them. Ah well, maybe one day.

NostraDAWmus

09 Jul 2023

artmessiah wrote:
08 Jul 2023
Jackjackdaw wrote:
06 Jul 2023

... every Reason user has that ONE thing they say will keep them Reason users and if it's not there in the next update they're done with Reason. That's not me because I genuinely like Reason, have like it since 1.0
I might appear to be such a user,- but I´m not.
I´m w/ Reason since version 3 and it was welcome always side by side w/ the main DAW app.
artmessiah wrote:
08 Jul 2023
... ONE instance of Reason Rack for ONE instrument in that rack is kinda silly - to me.
my 2 cents !
artmessiah wrote:
08 Jul 2023
The option should at least be there for 16 channels of midi out per instance of Reason Rack imo.
Well, I consider 16 MIDI channels In w/ freely user assignable MIDI CCs to be more important than the MIDI-Out option you mentioned,- but BOTH would be ideal, no question !
In short,- RRP should be a fully MIDI multitimbral VST3 ( I´d wish CLAP too !) shell loading 3rd party VST2 and VST3 plugins in addition.

Only w/ that featureset, it´s able to replace ReWire !

And,- I´m always interested in using software in a combo w/ a hardware keyboard rig being controlled completely via MIDI.
I play w/ ten fingers and feet and don´t only trigger pre-programmed patterns and/or loops as also I don´t use sequences or backing tracks.
For me,- all the DAW app´s sequencers/ editors are for audio/MIDI recording, mixing and mastering and nothing else !

But meanwhile I got the impression Reason Studios isn´t interested in real pro musicians anymore.
I understand masses of hobbyists generate more sales and cash.
No prob,- but I´m out then.

:puf_smile:

P.

Goriila Texas

09 Jul 2023

I agree with the OP and that's why I started diving deep into Studio One's Multi-Instrument. I pretty much moved my combi workflow over to S1 and it's been great. I'm using 7 Serato samplers across 7 octaves with their own Note FX every since I moved away from Mimic and It's been just what I need.
multi instrument.png
multi instrument.png (355.64 KiB) Viewed 9851 times
Attachments
8 buttons 8 knobs with X-Y pad.png
8 buttons 8 knobs with X-Y pad.png (345.32 KiB) Viewed 9841 times
Last edited by Goriila Texas on 09 Jul 2023, edited 2 times in total.

QVprod

09 Jul 2023

I’ll be the odd man out here and say that 16 midi channels is an old outdated workflow that was well suited to hardware because it was the only option. Even Kontakt, which has this capability, has introduced a current workflow in version 7 with its new browser that completely ignores it. There was a point in time where it supposedly used less cpu but we’ve long past the point in computers where that makes much of a difference (if it ever did).

For playing live as a keys player, I’ve always been one to believe in using things that were built for the task like Mainstage, Gigperformer, or even the lite version of Ableton live that near everyone owns a copy of. You can use the rack plug-in in your patches there with far better organization.

I do get the argument for sequencing instruments you want to modulate with each other over CV. But I think the capability to route CV between instances would solve that. Likely the main thing missing besides VST combinators

Goriila Texas

09 Jul 2023

Buttons Knobs X-Y.png
Buttons Knobs X-Y.png (304.66 KiB) Viewed 9838 times

Goriila Texas

09 Jul 2023

I don't know what you mean by Kontakt 7 "ignores it"? Kontakt has 4 banks of 16 midi channels bro and how in the hell is that outdated? Having multiple outs lets you use one instance of Kontakt instead of 16 make it make sense.

QVprod wrote:
09 Jul 2023
I’ll be the odd man out here and say that 16 midi channels is an old outdated workflow that was well suited to hardware because it was the only option. Even Kontakt, which has this capability, has introduced a current workflow in version 7 with its new browser that completely ignores it. There was a point in time where it supposedly used less cpu but we’ve long past the point in computers where that makes much of a difference (if it ever did).

For playing live as a keys player, I’ve always been one to believe in using things that were built for the task like Mainstage, Gigperformer, or even the lite version of Ableton live that near everyone owns a copy of. You can use the rack plug-in in your patches there with far better organization.

I do get the argument for sequencing instruments you want to modulate with each other over CV. But I think the capability to route CV between instances would solve that. Likely the main thing missing besides VST combinators

QVprod

09 Jul 2023

Goriila Texas wrote:
09 Jul 2023
I don't know what you mean by Kontakt 7 "ignores it"? Kontakt has 4 banks of 16 midi channels bro and how in the hell is that outdated? Having multiple outs lets you use one instance of Kontakt instead of 16 make it make sense.

QVprod wrote:
09 Jul 2023

The new browser in Kontakt 7 by default only lets you load one sound at a time. You have to bypass that to use it the old way. There is literally no practical benefit to running Kontakt as a mutltitimbral instrument over using one sound per instance except for the very few orchestral instruments that are specifically made for that. That’s why Komplete Kontrol also only allows one sound per instance. So yes, the workflow of using 16 (or more) midi channels is outdated. There’s nothing impressive about 4 banks of 16 midi channels when DAWs can run virtually unlimited tracks.

Goriila Texas

09 Jul 2023

Bro do you own Kontakt 7 because everything you're saying is not true. The midi banks are where they've always been in the dropdown box. Now you have to hit (i) to see the other channels if you add another instrument but it's still there. I can think of many split key setups and just the CPU savings alone is worth running one Kontakt instead of 16. You have to be efficient with cpu usage so saying DAWs can run unlimited tracks is disingenuous and you know it. Komplete Kontrol is not Kontakt and it was built exactly for multitimbral instruments. If you don't see the power in one instance versus 16 that's on you bro but don't state it's outdated like it's fact when users are requesting it and Kontakt 7 the sampling standard has 4 banks of it. I'm questioning you workflow now.
QVprod wrote:
09 Jul 2023
Goriila Texas wrote:
09 Jul 2023

The new browser in Kontakt 7 by default only lets you load one sound at a time. You have to bypass that to use it the old way. There is literally no practical benefit to running Kontakt as a mutltitimbral instrument over using one sound per instance except for the very few orchestral instruments that are specifically made for that. That’s why Komplete Kontrol also only allows one sound per instance. So yes, the workflow of using 16 (or more) midi channels is outdated. There’s nothing impressive about 4 banks of 16 midi channels when DAWs can run virtually unlimited tracks.

QVprod

09 Jul 2023

Goriila Texas wrote:
09 Jul 2023
Bro do you own Kontakt 7 because everything you're saying is not true. The midi banks are where they've always been in the dropdown box. Now you have to hit (i) to see the other channels if you add another instrument but it's still there. I can think of many split key setups and just the CPU savings alone is worth running one Kontakt instead of 16. You have to be efficient with cpu usage so saying DAWs can run unlimited tracks is disingenuous and you know it. Komplete Kontrol is not Kontakt and it was built exactly for multitimbral instruments. If you don't see the power in one instance versus 16 that's on you bro but don't state it's outdated like it's fact when users are requesting it and Kontakt 7 the sampling standard has 4 banks of it. I'm questioning you workflow now.
QVprod wrote:
09 Jul 2023

Komplete Kontrol is arguably the way they intend people to use their products which would make sense why the new Kontakt browser is very similar to it. Why else would it be able to load all of their instruments (Kontakt and otherwise) as well as 3rd party plugins? In times past(Kontakt 6 and older), whenever you chose a different Kontakt preset (old browser) it would automatically load on a different midi channel. Yes, you can still use it that way. But the new browser, you know, the one with the tagged search, does not work that way. It only loads one sound at a time. The multitimbral function is a legacy feature that you can use if you want to but let’s not pretend it’s not a workflow derived from using hardware.

I already addressed one instance vs multiple instances in the first post I made. I use multiple Kontakt instances all the time. Never noticed a higher cpu hit. And I did that with old computers. Layering sounds is a different matter, but that’s sounds on the same midi channel not different ones. Keep in mind, I said ‘virtually’ unlimited. Obviously the limitation is your cpu but I have serious doubts you can run more Kontakt libraries in one instance that you can with multiple. Added benefit, the audio outputs are already separated. Same would be for RRP.

Goriila Texas

10 Jul 2023

Why does Reason have ID8 and Arturia have Analog Lab? The short answer is companies want a quick simpler instrument which displays most if not all of their products in a single package.

The reason NI changed auto midi channel select was because it was a p.i.t.a to most user and finally listened to us. I hated having to change the midi channel every time I load another instrument. Yes 16 midi tracks started on hardware but has evolved in software making it very useful and powerful, to say it's a legacy feature is just false. Kontakt is a beast on it's own with scripting and it's workflow is nothing like Komplete Kontrol period. With all the outputs and midi channels it's clear as day stacking inside one Kontakt is the workflow.

There's a huge CPU hit loading 16 RRP vs 1 RRP or 16 Kontakts vs 1 Kontakt c'mon man this is basic music knowledge. I started not to respond because I've seen you lose a lot of debates only to deflect when proven wrong. All I have to do is screenshot cpu usage of each instrument in studio one but I'm not. To be clear that's 16 loaded RRP and 16 loaded Kontakts vs one Kontakt loaded cause I know some fan going to load 16 empty racks and say "see not much difference" lol.

QVprod wrote:
09 Jul 2023
Goriila Texas wrote:
09 Jul 2023

Komplete Kontrol is arguably the way they intend people to use their products which would make sense why the new Kontakt browser is very similar to it. Why else would it be able to load all of their instruments (Kontakt and otherwise) as well as 3rd party plugins? In times past(Kontakt 6 and older), whenever you chose a different Kontakt preset (old browser) it would automatically load on a different midi channel. Yes, you can still use it that way. But the new browser, you know, the one with the tagged search, does not work that way. It only loads one sound at a time. The multitimbral function is a legacy feature that you can use if you want to but let’s not pretend it’s not a workflow derived from using hardware.

I already addressed one instance vs multiple instances in the first post I made. I use multiple Kontakt instances all the time. Never noticed a higher cpu hit. And I did that with old computers. Layering sounds is a different matter, but that’s sounds on the same midi channel not different ones. Keep in mind, I said ‘virtually’ unlimited. Obviously the limitation is your cpu but I have serious doubts you can run more Kontakt libraries in one instance that you can with multiple. Added benefit, the audio outputs are already separated. Same would be for RRP.

ljekio

10 Jul 2023

There's a huge CPU hit loading 16 RRP vs 1 RRP or 16 Kontakts vs 1 Kontakt c'mon man this is basic music knowledge.
I would like to see visual confirmation of these words.
To be honest, I have never found myself in a situation in which it would be convenient for me to use midi multitimbrality. Those midi things that I miss in Reason are different.

Jackjackdaw

10 Jul 2023

QVprod wrote:
09 Jul 2023

So instead of the thing it doesn’t have you should use the other things it doesn’t have 😂

NostraDAWmus

10 Jul 2023

What kind of stupid discussion is this now ?

WHEN users want a fully MIDI multitimbral RRP VST3 device,- it doesn´t matter how the new browser in NI Kontakt 7 or Komplete Kontrol works NOW,- isn´t it ? Nonetheless, I can confirm Kontakt 7 works the same as Kontakt 6 when you want a Kontakt MULTI and regardless of new "features" which are more or less "cosmetic" anyway.
I´m NI Komplete Ultimate Collections owner/user and I´m with Komplete since version 2 special edition.
So please don´t tell me how it works !

The argument, MIDI multichannel workflow is "outdated" is synonymus to "MIDI is outdated".
But it isn´t !
Why in the world do we see MIDI 2 now,- w/ endless possiblities vs. "old" MIDI.
That´s why I observe developement of more and more CLAP plugins appearing on the market to kick Steinberg in their a## w/ their VST3 dictate lacking MIDI program change support,- just only because they planned their VSTLIve application long before it appeared on the market as it is now.

Mainstage and GigPerformer are solutions for live giggers,- but also not ideal.
Loading complete "concerts" or "racks" for each song doesn´t work for longer medleys where is no time between songs,.- and they require moe and more powerful computers.
In opposite, loading a handful of plugins working w/ MIDI program change commands brings you thru many songs w/o the need to load all new for each song.
Needless to mention, larger acts need redundant systems,- 1 laptop, w/ mainstage already been loaded for a given song, a 2nd laptop will be loaded for the upcoming song while the already loaded one performs and there´s a 3rd laptop for the case one of the other fails.
It´s a big investment and needs lots of work as also such rig often has to be operated by a keyboard tech, he himself doing the load-job.

hardware and MIDI is great,- and a MIDI multitimbral software-rack is the very best replacement I can imagine.

P.

QVprod

10 Jul 2023

Goriila Texas wrote:
10 Jul 2023
Why does Reason have ID8 and Arturia have Analog Lab? The short answer is companies want a quick simpler instrument which displays most if not all of their products in a single package.

The reason NI changed auto midi channel select was because it was a p.i.t.a to most user and finally listened to us. I hated having to change the midi channel every time I load another instrument. Yes 16 midi tracks started on hardware but has evolved in software making it very useful and powerful,
Ok, explain what can be done with 16 midi channels in a DAW that’s more powerful than loading individual instances.
Goriila Texas wrote:
10 Jul 2023

There's a huge CPU hit loading 16 RRP vs 1 RRP or 16 Kontakts vs 1 Kontakt c'mon man this is basic music knowledge. I started not to respond because I've seen you lose a lot of debates only to deflect when proven wrong. All I have to do is screenshot cpu usage of each instrument in studio one but I'm not. To be clear that's 16 loaded RRP and 16 loaded Kontakts vs one Kontakt loaded cause I know some fan going to load 16 empty racks and say "see not much difference" lol.
For clarity, that would require loading let’s say 5 libraries in one instance being used multitimbral vs loading those 5 libraries individually. I’ve tried this in the past and saw no difference which I why I stopped using Kontakt that way. Admittedly, you can’t run this test in RRP currently.

selig
RE Developer

10 Jul 2023

I don’t know if MIDI is outdated or not, and there’s really no “right” answer when posing such questions in general.
But I DO know I’ve never gelled with using one Kontakt for all instruments, even when using a lot of instruments. I don’t organize my productions by ‘brand’, I organize by sound. When I need to adjust the strings I go to the strings plugin, which is better IMO than going to the Kontakt plugin and scrolling until I find the strings, etc…
Same when using RRP in LUNA, I don’t want every Reason instrument in one place. One of the advantages of using plugins over hardware samplers is the fact you finally don’t need to load all sounds into one device!

So maybe I’m an example of an edge case in wanting to use plugins like Kontakt or RRP this way, but it works quite well for me and I’m happy to finally be able to work this way.

As for CPU, I rarely use even 8 Kontakt instruments but made a quick comparison in Reason between using 8 separate Kontakt instances vs 1 Kontakt with the same 8 instruments loaded.

The takeaway, I’m sticking to using multiple instances of Kontakt in Reason!:
•Using 1 Kontakt w/8 instruments uses 7% MORE CPU than using 8 Kontakts with 1 instrument each.
•RAM use is the same.
•Load times are 3-4 times LONGER (typically 3x) when using 1 Kontakt vs 8

8 Kontakts
Load time: 0:35, 0:32 0:33min
9.84 GB RAM
74% CPU Idle
146% CPU “C chord”

1 Kontakt
Load Time: 1:37, 1:36, 1:59 min
9.59 GB RAM
61% CPU Idle
156% CPU “C chord”

Empty Song
2.45 GB RAM
40% CPU Idle

Kontakt instruments used:
1-Symphony Series Woodwind Solo (Woodwind Quintet)
2-Alicias Keys
3-Abbey Road Modern Drummer
4-Symphony Series Brass Ensemble (Brass Ensemble)
5-Symphony Series String Ensemble (String Ensemble)
6-The Canterbury Suitcase
7-Symphony Series Percussion (orch kit)
8-Prime Bass

[forgot to add system specs: Mac M1 Max Studio, 32 GB RAM, MacOS 12.6.1 Monterey]
Selig Audio, LLC

QVprod

10 Jul 2023

NostraDAWmus wrote:
10 Jul 2023

The argument, MIDI multichannel workflow is "outdated" is synonymus to "MIDI is outdated".
But it isn´t !
Why in the world do we see MIDI 2 now,- w/ endless possiblities vs. "old" MIDI.
That´s why I observe developement of more and more CLAP plugins appearing on the market to kick Steinberg in their a## w/ their VST3 dictate lacking MIDI program change support,- just only because they planned their VSTLIve application long before it appeared on the market as it is now.

Mainstage and GigPerformer are solutions for live giggers,- but also not ideal.
Loading complete "concerts" or "racks" for each song doesn´t work for longer medleys where is no time between songs,.- and they require moe and more powerful computers.
In opposite, loading a handful of plugins working w/ MIDI program change commands brings you thru many songs w/o the need to load all new for each song.
Needless to mention, larger acts need redundant systems,- 1 laptop, w/ mainstage already been loaded for a given song, a 2nd laptop will be loaded for the upcoming song while the already loaded one performs and there´s a 3rd laptop for the case one of the other fails.
It´s a big investment and needs lots of work as also such rig often has to be operated by a keyboard tech, he himself doing the load-job.

hardware and MIDI is great,- and a MIDI multitimbral software-rack is the very best replacement I can imagine.

P.
Actually it’s not saying the same as “midi is outdated”. Everyone still uses midi, albeit over usb, but it’s still being used by most. There’s no alternative to it unless you’re recording everything as audio. Midi 2.0 is for adding additional new workflows to the midi spec. Ones that are not related to the limitations of hardware from the 80s.

I used to gig with Mainstage. One of the major draws to the program is there is no time needed between switching patches. There’s no drop out of audio. The transitions between songs is actually very smooth and unnoticeable. Something that hardware keyboards are just now getting in the last few years (I have a MODX). The cpu management is actually quite good with focusing on the current patch that’s playing. A modern redundant system isn’t running a song on each laptop but running the same ‘concert’ on each laptop. But most people are just running one and the bigger touring acts can usually afford the hardware backline needed as a back up. Also, Mainstage responds to midi program changes for patch switching so you don’t even need multiple midi channels unless you’re playing multiple keyboards. I’ve run plenty of shows without issue putting the whole show in one Mainstage concert with backing tracks and everything.

In a music production environment, I see very little benefit to the multitimbral workflow in the traditional sense.

• Information