Reason Rack Plugin Use

This forum is for discussing the Reason Rack Plugin, the version of the Reason rack that runs as a VST3, AU, AAX in other DAWs.
JohnnyBee 67

19 May 2022

Am I understanding this correctly? I have Reason 12. Can I bring the rack into my other DAW as an instrument/effect? If so, how is that done? Please forgive what probably is to you an elementary question but I'm still new to this program.

Thanks

JohnnyBee :puf_smile:

Billy+

19 May 2022

The YouTube channel has all the information that you might want for using RRP

orthodox
RE Developer

19 May 2022

JohnnyBee 67 wrote:
19 May 2022
Am I understanding this correctly? I have Reason 12. Can I bring the rack into my other DAW as an instrument/effect? If so, how is that done? Please forgive what probably is to you an elementary question but I'm still new to this program.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... ack+plugin+

huggermugger

19 May 2022

Unless you did something silly during installation, there should be a VST3 (and maybe an AU if you own Mac) already installed. If you're on a Mac, you should immediately see it available in the VST library of your DAW (remember, though, VST3 only). If you're on a PC, well, there's a little dance that Reason makes you do to recognize the VST3 in your DAW.

WaxTrax

19 May 2022

And with the AU version, you can use RRP as an instrument, an effect, or Logic Pro MIDI FX :-)

JohnnyBee 67

20 May 2022

WaxTrax wrote:
19 May 2022
And with the AU version, you can use RRP as an instrument, an effect, or Logic Pro MIDI FX :-)
So, My other DAW is Cakewalk, which uses VSTs. So I can only use the effects but not the instruments?

:puf_smile: John B

huggermugger

20 May 2022

JohnnyBee 67 wrote:
20 May 2022
WaxTrax wrote:
19 May 2022
So, My other DAW is Cakewalk, which uses VSTs. So I can only use the effects but not the instruments?

:puf_smile: John B
If Cakewalk uses VST3, you can use the Reason Rack Plugin. Whether or not you can use it as an instrument and/or an effect is up to the architecture of Cakewalk. In Logic, you can use the RRP in three ways - as a MIDI processor (MIDI FX, e.g. Players), as an instrument (INPUT), or as an effect (AUDIO FX). Logic handles the distinction really well.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-05-20 at 8.31.56 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-05-20 at 8.31.56 AM.jpg (526.83 KiB) Viewed 3387 times

crimsonwarlock

20 May 2022

Just checked, as I have Cakewalk installed. You can use it as instrument and as FX. In the popup menu for inserting things on a track, Reason Rack is listed under 'insert softsynth' and under 'insert audio FX -> uncategorized'. If you have RRP insalled of course.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

JohnnyBee 67

20 May 2022

OK. I got it. :thumbup: Thanks, guys. As the Warlock said, it is listed under uncategorized. I suppose I can go in and customize the folder later if I want to but the important thing now is that it works for both FX and instruments. It's like having the best of both worlds together in one program.

My Gratitudes :D
John B

orthodox
RE Developer

20 May 2022

JohnnyBee 67 wrote:
20 May 2022
I use Cakewalk with the RRP and everything works fine in it. There is one problem though, Cakewalk intercepts all key presses (on PC keyboard, not MIDI), so if you need to type something in a text field in the RRP, like rack device name, you have to type it somewhere else then use Copy/Paste.

Danilo Villanova
Competition Winner

24 May 2022

JohnnyBee 67 wrote:
20 May 2022
OK. I got it. :thumbup: Thanks, guys. As the Warlock said, it is listed under uncategorized. I suppose I can go in and customize the folder later if I want to but the important thing now is that it works for both FX and instruments. It's like having the best of both worlds together in one program.

John B
I think if you right-click the Reason plugin in Cakewalk’s browser you can assign it to a different category.

JohnnyBee 67

28 May 2022

Danilo Villanova wrote:
24 May 2022
JohnnyBee 67 wrote:
20 May 2022

John B
I think if you right-click the Reason plugin in Cakewalk’s browser you can assign it to a different category.
:thumbup: JB

• Information