Future of the SDK

This forum is for developers of Rack Extensions to discuss the RE SDK, share code, and offer tips to other developers.
User avatar
aeox
Posts: 3025
Joined: 23 Feb 2017
Location: marsoo

Post 08 Sep 2021

joeyluck wrote:
08 Sep 2021
nickb523 wrote:
08 Sep 2021


You should be able to access Gorilla with a RE dev account at RS.

I was going to do a video on a simple Gorilla build so people can see what I'm talking about but it turns out Gorilla is still under NDA. So we can go into details about the RE SDK but NOT Gorilla. So, for example I can't post a screenshot of of the 35 FX modules that everyone here has bought several times over.

I suggested YEARS ago that this should have been made more clear on the website so consumers are aware of exactly what they are buying. Something like "Powered by uJam" or "Powered by Gorilla" but nope, it's all left with zero transparency so the users don't have a clue.
I don't understand why that matters at all. UJAM's own awesome effect plugins are made using the same effect modules. Much of what I've seen of REs made using the GE is pretty unique and creative uses of those effects. Many devs make plugins using things like JUCE and similar, to start with building blocks. Many devs recycle open source code. All that matters is the end product and the results.
On that note, let's just make combinators lockable and just pass those off as new synths!

User avatar
buddard
RE Developer
Posts: 991
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Stockholm

Post 08 Sep 2021

nickb523 wrote:
08 Sep 2021
I was going to do a video on a simple Gorilla build so people can see what I'm talking about but it turns out Gorilla is still under NDA. So we can go into details about the RE SDK but NOT Gorilla. So, for example I can't post a screenshot of of the 35 FX modules that everyone here has bought several times over.
You think this is so different from "proper plugins"?
Most developers have read the same books about DSP, the same white papers about filter design etc etc... So "custom DSP code" is not always as unique as one might think.
The GE modules are simply very good implementations of those concepts.
In the end, creating a good plugin is about creating a great product design, i e figure out how to interconnect all those parts, decide which parameters to expose and what ranges they should have. In my opinion, THAT is often what distinguishes a great plugin from a mediocre plugin.

So you can slag GE developers all you want, but the fact is that they appear to be creating plugins that people want to buy and use.
But sure, bring on the combinator patches, let's see someone recreate ekss Drumsyn for example. :lol:

User avatar
Billy+
Posts: 2780
Joined: 09 Dec 2016

Post 08 Sep 2021

nickb523 wrote:
08 Sep 2021
Billy+ wrote:
08 Sep 2021

Is that why it's impossible for us normal people to get our hands on it?
You should be able to access Gorilla with a RE dev account at RS.
I thought you needed to register here :- https://gorilla-engine.com And jump through hoops before gaining access?
VST 2.4 MIDI It's definitely on the list of todos
What MIDI tools are you itching to use

ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ Time for a good long sleep ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 8996
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 08 Sep 2021

Billy+ wrote:
08 Sep 2021
nickb523 wrote:
08 Sep 2021


You should be able to access Gorilla with a RE dev account at RS.
I thought you needed to register here :- https://gorilla-engine.com And jump through hoops before gaining access?
That's if you want to build a plugin for AU/VST/AAX

User avatar
Billy+
Posts: 2780
Joined: 09 Dec 2016

Post 08 Sep 2021

joeyluck wrote:
08 Sep 2021
Billy+ wrote:
08 Sep 2021


I thought you needed to register here :- https://gorilla-engine.com And jump through hoops before gaining access?
That's if you want to build a plugin for AU/VST/AAX
Then best I get myself over to the dev site and look with both eyes ;)

Or is nick's point about the script based nature of GE the fact that you can't include c++ based code as well?
VST 2.4 MIDI It's definitely on the list of todos
What MIDI tools are you itching to use

ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ Time for a good long sleep ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ

User avatar
Timmy Crowne
Posts: 296
Joined: 06 Apr 2017
Location: California, United States

Post 08 Sep 2021

aeox wrote:
08 Sep 2021
On that note, let's just make combinators lockable and just pass those off as new synths!
This! We could all enter the RE market this way.

User avatar
aeox
Posts: 3025
Joined: 23 Feb 2017
Location: marsoo

Post 09 Sep 2021

Timmy Crowne wrote:
08 Sep 2021
aeox wrote:
08 Sep 2021
On that note, let's just make combinators lockable and just pass those off as new synths!
This! We could all enter the RE market this way.
Indeed!

My comment may have read as sarcasm but I'm serious :)

User avatar
Loque
Moderator
Posts: 9257
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 09 Sep 2021

aeox wrote:
09 Sep 2021
Timmy Crowne wrote:
08 Sep 2021


This! We could all enter the RE market this way.
Indeed!

My comment may have read as sarcasm but I'm serious :)
While this would make sense for sellers its pretty bad for buyers.

To make this really a thing, Reason must become even more modular. The drawback would be, we would see a lot of sh!t and a lot of scam.
:reason: 11, Win10 64Bit.

User avatar
nickb523
RE Developer
Posts: 346
Joined: 23 Jan 2017
Location: Scotland

Post 09 Sep 2021

Honestly guys I'm done with this conversation as it takes up far too much headspace. There is even a dev in here aggressively trying to justify it (while laughing at me I might add) which is absolutely mind blowing, unprofessional and just completely inappropriate.

I guess it's all fine then if we just keep repeating the same stuff every couple of weeks with a different skin. That's a great reputation for the RE market to have. Good job. :shock:

User avatar
aeox
Posts: 3025
Joined: 23 Feb 2017
Location: marsoo

Post 09 Sep 2021

Loque wrote:
09 Sep 2021
aeox wrote:
09 Sep 2021


Indeed!

My comment may have read as sarcasm but I'm serious :)
While this would make sense for sellers its pretty bad for buyers.

To make this really a thing, Reason must become even more modular. The drawback would be, we would see a lot of sh!t and a lot of scam.
It would be wild :D

User avatar
Billy+
Posts: 2780
Joined: 09 Dec 2016

Post 09 Sep 2021

nickb523 wrote:
09 Sep 2021
Honestly guys I'm done with this conversation as it takes up far too much headspace. There is even a dev in here aggressively trying to justify it (while laughing at me I might add) which is absolutely mind blowing, unprofessional and just completely inappropriate.

I guess it's all fine then if we just keep repeating the same stuff every couple of weeks with a different skin. That's a great reputation for the RE market to have. Good job. :shock:
Actually nick I'm very interested in what you think about the whole rack extension combinator shop situation, now I know this conversation was primarily about the SDK but as per usual it's expanded but you seem to be fair in what your saying and shouldn't be put off discussing this and other issues within the developer development community.

I always wonder why there has never been more content about using implementing devices in GE (turns out there's an NDA)

Even though the NDA was removed from the RE SDK we actually haven't seen many tutorials etc and the community has active poster who are also well known developers (are we not seeing tutorials from them because of the GE NDA?)

I was looking forward to seeing what you have been doing with CMBv2 and why you said it would be a game changer as I still think there is a few features missing that should have been included (stepped knobs for instance)

The shop might be back in the top links but you wouldn't know it as instead of text that say shop there's some strange little icon?

Don't stop talking about this stuff I for one have been very interested in what your saying about all of these topics and would definitely like to hear more :thumbup:
VST 2.4 MIDI It's definitely on the list of todos
What MIDI tools are you itching to use

ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ Time for a good long sleep ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ

User avatar
nickb523
RE Developer
Posts: 346
Joined: 23 Jan 2017
Location: Scotland

Post 09 Sep 2021

Billy+ wrote:
09 Sep 2021
Actually nick I'm very interested in what you think about the whole rack extension combinator shop situation, now I know this conversation was primarily about the SDK but as per usual it's expanded but you seem to be fair in what your saying and shouldn't be put off discussing this and other issues within the developer development community.

I always wonder why there has never been more content about using implementing devices in GE (turns out there's an NDA)

Even though the NDA was removed from the RE SDK we actually haven't seen many tutorials etc and the community has active poster who are also well known developers (are we not seeing tutorials from them because of the GE NDA?)

I was looking forward to seeing what you have been doing with CMBv2 and why you said it would be a game changer as I still think there is a few features missing that should have been included (stepped knobs for instance)

The shop might be back in the top links but you wouldn't know it as instead of text that say shop there's some strange little icon?

Don't stop talking about this stuff I for one have been very interested in what your saying about all of these topics and would definitely like to hear more :thumbup:
I'm quite happy to talk shop Billy. It's not something that bothers me at all even if it seems to terrify some other devs.

When it comes to tutorials, I'm fairly certain the lack of content issue is down to devs not wanting to show behind the curtain as not to spoil the illusion. It's clearly a spicy topic and I don't have the time to be dealing with the forum and social media pinging at all times of the day and night with uninformed hatred. It's just too hard. :)

Yeah Combi 2 is missing quite a bit just now, but the main point I was making is that there is now very little need for these simple Gorilla based RE's. For example I posted a WIP the other night of an upcoming Reason+ device styled pack that is pretty much a direct replacement for my Aura-7 RE - It's laid out much the same, sounds better and even has comprehensive sample loading that is beyond what is possible within Gorilla AND it's going to be free on R+.

Capture.PNG
Audio demo here -



It's still going to be hard to emulate everything due to missing widgets in the combinator, but you can work around a lot of shortcomings (just as you would have to in Gorilla) and still deliver a very good product that everyone can use. There are no compatibility issues either, and they will be free or will come as part of a ReFill. That is the big deal. ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Proboscis
Posts: 961
Joined: 28 Aug 2019

Post 09 Sep 2021

nickb523 wrote:
08 Sep 2021
I was going to do a video on a simple Gorilla build so people can see what I'm talking about but it turns out Gorilla is still under NDA. So we can go into details about the RE SDK but NOT Gorilla. So, for example I can't post a screenshot of of the 35 FX modules that everyone here has bought several times over.

I suggested YEARS ago that this should have been made more clear on the website so consumers are aware of exactly what they are buying. Something like "Powered by uJam" or "Powered by Gorilla" but nope, it's all left with zero transparency so the users don't have a clue.
Hi Nick, it's great to hear the views of RE developers

I know fuck all about the way plugins are developed, and from previous comments (a long time ago), concluded that the argument was that the FX modules used to create RE's were also used in stock Reason devices. Is this the case, or does GE have it's own modules/code/whatever ?

Either way, as a Reason user since R4, I don't have the ability to create elaborate Combinators - which is where the ReFill market was once a great source of add-ons back when there were no REs. Happy to pay people for their expertise in crafting a brilliant FX unit or instrument. I guess there's an inherent transparency with ReFills, because it's as simple as clicking the 'show devices' button to see how they are put together.

But... does this transparency make one iota of difference to folks who can't (or don't wish to) build complex devices ? And in the case of REs, a far more integrated device in the rack with a simple licensing process

And further to that if I trial a fully functioning RE for a whole 30 days and decide to buy, should it be something for me to care about that they are built using the '35 FX modules' ? If a buyer likes a device, it may be for a whole range of reasons, such as how the controls and GUI are assembled and designed, whether it inspires regular use, or cleverly combining the same elements that other developers have already used before.

User avatar
nickb523
RE Developer
Posts: 346
Joined: 23 Jan 2017
Location: Scotland

Post 09 Sep 2021

Ryan Harlin said this on one of the Combinator creation threads the other day. Nail > Head.
It's only starting to just sink in for me that Combinator 2 means everyone can become proxy plugin creators without needing to create the DSP. How many plugin developers spend their time making waveform, LFO, and filter DSP algorithms? We get to skip all all that do the fun part – the UX design and sound design.

drno
RE Developer
Posts: 49
Joined: 01 Jan 2016

Post 09 Sep 2021

nickb523 wrote:
09 Sep 2021
Ryan Harlin said this on one of the Combinator creation threads the other day. Nail > Head.
...How many plugin developers spend their time making waveform, LFO, and filter DSP algorithms? ...
The DSP is the fun part, if you like that, to create the Classic filter it took me a year of part-time research to find the right transfer function, many hours of testing in Matlab / Octave and Maxima, but I understand who use those black boxes or copy DSP code that is on the net, because in the end what is interesting is what the musician makes music and that it is exciting.

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 8996
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 09 Sep 2021

buddard wrote:
08 Sep 2021
nickb523 wrote:
08 Sep 2021
I was going to do a video on a simple Gorilla build so people can see what I'm talking about but it turns out Gorilla is still under NDA. So we can go into details about the RE SDK but NOT Gorilla. So, for example I can't post a screenshot of of the 35 FX modules that everyone here has bought several times over.
You think this is so different from "proper plugins"?
Most developers have read the same books about DSP, the same white papers about filter design etc etc... So "custom DSP code" is not always as unique as one might think.
The GE modules are simply very good implementations of those concepts.
In the end, creating a good plugin is about creating a great product design, i e figure out how to interconnect all those parts, decide which parameters to expose and what ranges they should have. In my opinion, THAT is often what distinguishes a great plugin from a mediocre plugin.

So you can slag GE developers all you want, but the fact is that they appear to be creating plugins that people want to buy and use.
But sure, bring on the combinator patches, let's see someone recreate ekss Drumsyn for example. :lol:
Completely agree :thumbup:

User avatar
Billy+
Posts: 2780
Joined: 09 Dec 2016

Post 09 Sep 2021

nickb523 wrote:
09 Sep 2021
Billy+ wrote:
09 Sep 2021
Actually nick I'm very interested in what you think about the whole rack extension combinator shop situation, now I know this conversation was primarily about the SDK but as per usual it's expanded but you seem to be fair in what your saying and shouldn't be put off discussing this and other issues within the developer development community.

I always wonder why there has never been more content about using implementing devices in GE (turns out there's an NDA)

Even though the NDA was removed from the RE SDK we actually haven't seen many tutorials etc and the community has active poster who are also well known developers (are we not seeing tutorials from them because of the GE NDA?)

I was looking forward to seeing what you have been doing with CMBv2 and why you said it would be a game changer as I still think there is a few features missing that should have been included (stepped knobs for instance)

The shop might be back in the top links but you wouldn't know it as instead of text that say shop there's some strange little icon?

Don't stop talking about this stuff I for one have been very interested in what your saying about all of these topics and would definitely like to hear more :thumbup:
I'm quite happy to talk shop Billy. It's not something that bothers me at all even if it seems to terrify some other devs.

When it comes to tutorials, I'm fairly certain the lack of content issue is down to devs not wanting to show behind the curtain as not to spoil the illusion. It's clearly a spicy topic and I don't have the time to be dealing with the forum and social media pinging at all times of the day and night with uninformed hatred. It's just too hard. :)

Yeah Combi 2 is missing quite a bit just now, but the main point I was making is that there is now very little need for these simple Gorilla based RE's. For example I posted a WIP the other night of an upcoming Reason+ device styled pack that is pretty much a direct replacement for my Aura-7 RE - It's laid out much the same, sounds better and even has comprehensive sample loading that is beyond what is possible within Gorilla AND it's going to be free on R+.


Capture.PNG

Audio demo here -



It's still going to be hard to emulate everything due to missing widgets in the combinator, but you can work around a lot of shortcomings (just as you would have to in Gorilla) and still deliver a very good product that everyone can use. There are no compatibility issues either, and they will be free or will come as part of a ReFill. That is the big deal. ;)
What extras would you like to see in the combinator, as things stand RS seems to be open to actually add to CMBv2 which is a nice change from the past.

Also is there absolutely no way round the GE NDA? It would definitely be nice to see some tutorials about usage, it would also be cool to see some RE SDK stuff, I've dabbled a bit in c but was taught pascal and later Delphi while at college so RADs are things I've used in the past (long time ago) but definitely easy to use.

I'm guessing that lua is the scripting language being used ?
VST 2.4 MIDI It's definitely on the list of todos
What MIDI tools are you itching to use

ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ Time for a good long sleep ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ

User avatar
selig
RE Developer
Posts: 9444
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: The NorthWoods, CT, USA

Post 09 Sep 2021

drno wrote:
09 Sep 2021
nickb523 wrote:
09 Sep 2021
Ryan Harlin said this on one of the Combinator creation threads the other day. Nail > Head.
The DSP is the fun part, if you like that, to create the Classic filter it took me a year of part-time research to find the right transfer function, many hours of testing in Matlab / Octave and Maxima, but I understand who use those black boxes or copy DSP code that is on the net, because in the end what is interesting is what the musician makes music and that it is exciting.
For me the fun part is the overall routing, especially if it concerns logic and difficult issues to solve. There are many things I do that would never work with Gorillia Engine, such as developing the continuous slope, asymmetric EQ curves, or harmonic control in ColoringEQ, the logic for how Leveler works, the Pan laws in Gain, or most of the DeEsser (and certainly a good bit of my new RE).
That said, a while back I wanted to use GE to build a Simmons type drum synth, but there were a few things it couldn’t do. So I contacted the dev figuring I would simply request the missing features, and they told me GE was in beta and I didn’t have a license. I tried to explain I was a dev for REs, things got complicated and I gave up. IIRC there were things like being not being able to key trig an oscillator, or a way to create a simple AD envelope to trigger like a one shot (a things that may have been addressed by now).
Maybe I should give it another shot, but at the time I dabbled with it I was unable to do what I wanted - and to be clear, I have just about zero DSP skills but can build my REs fully functioning (for the most part) in something like Reaktor Core, so you would think I’d be the perfect candidate for GE development.

Aa for the SDK, I had assumed it would be able by this point in time to build any existing Reason device, but we are still not quite even there yet…
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
mcatalao
Posts: 1520
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 09 Sep 2021

buddard wrote:
08 Sep 2021
So you can slag GE developers all you want, but the fact is that they appear to be creating plugins that people want to buy and use.
But sure, bring on the combinator patches, let's see someone recreate ekss Drumsyn for example. :lol:
Exactly this.

It will be great to see some revival for the Refill format and the revival of it's market with the new combinator, but the combinator is still what it is. A wrapper of stuff in the rack, so its shortcomings will be more or less the same. The combinator 2 is just a bigger, and a little more intelligent combi (more buttons and knobs, faster routing of elements to parameters, and the possibility to do very beautiful designs).

You will not be able to add DSP, and you're bound to the limits of other devices. I don't look at Gorilla specs but I've seen more complex stuff done than what the combinator can do. A perfect example of that is the chord recognition in the A-List's that won't be possible, and other scripting possibilities that Gorilla gives you.

I think the SDK will still improve, as it is the base of Reason Studio's development of their devices. It's an important component of Reason+, or any product within reason with a time to market that doesn't depend on a new release, so there's a good amount of revenue that depends on it. Not to say if they want to push devs to the loop again, the SDK will have to keep evolving.

User avatar
Enlightenspeed
RE Developer
Posts: 843
Joined: 03 Jan 2019

Post 09 Sep 2021

I'm no expert on how the GE works as I've never used it, but I always thought the point of it was to bring your sample sets out as REs, if you had access to sampling everything in a good hardware studio etc? Part of the reason I've never touched it is that I really don't have the patience for editing sustain loops :D A couple of days of that, and I'd be on the one way flight to Switzerland.

I've only ever built my own stuff from scratch, but am just beginning to learn deeper DSP stuff. The thought that springs to mind is that there are a very limited number of ways that things can be done as far as the "raw processing" is done. The rest is all in how you design the thing. I have to ask this though:

'How much design freedom do you really get with something like Gorilla Engine?'

I wouldn't have thought you really had much wiggle room based on what little I've seen of it.

User avatar
tiker01
Moderator
Posts: 1413
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 09 Sep 2021

Enlightenspeed wrote:
09 Sep 2021
I'm no expert on how the GE works as I've never used it, but I always thought the point of it was to bring your sample sets out as REs, if you had access to sampling everything in a good hardware studio etc? Part of the reason I've never touched it is that I really don't have the patience for editing sustain loops :D A couple of days of that, and I'd be on the one way flight to Switzerland.

I've only ever built my own stuff from scratch, but am just beginning to learn deeper DSP stuff. The thought that springs to mind is that there are a very limited number of ways that things can be done as far as the "raw processing" is done. The rest is all in how you design the thing. I have to ask this though:

'How much design freedom do you really get with something like Gorilla Engine?'

I wouldn't have thought you really had much wiggle room based on what little I've seen of it.
Not a real developer myself still AFAIK one can add DSP code to GE devices too.
    
Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

User avatar
fieldframe
Posts: 982
Joined: 19 Apr 2016

Post 09 Sep 2021

Enlightenspeed wrote:
09 Sep 2021
I'm no expert on how the GE works as I've never used it, but I always thought the point of it was to bring your sample sets out as REs, if you had access to sampling everything in a good hardware studio etc?
Gorilla Engine markets their product as such. The home page of their company site bears the headline "the most advanced platform for building sample instruments," which is surprising given the number of GE-based synthesis and effects Rack Extensions in the shop.
The Iron Law of Reason forums: All topics eventually turn into feature request threads; the only difference is how many posts it takes.

Looking for UI design? DM me for a portfolio.

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 8996
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 09 Sep 2021

fieldframe wrote:
09 Sep 2021
Enlightenspeed wrote:
09 Sep 2021
I'm no expert on how the GE works as I've never used it, but I always thought the point of it was to bring your sample sets out as REs, if you had access to sampling everything in a good hardware studio etc?
Gorilla Engine markets their product as such. The home page of their company site bears the headline "the most advanced platform for building sample instruments," which is surprising given the number of GE-based synthesis and effects Rack Extensions in the shop.
That's for GE in general I guess. Loopcloud was built with GE and then of course the UJAM instruments and some RS instruments like Umpf.

User avatar
turn2on
RE Developer
Posts: 437
Joined: 13 Mar 2015

Post 10 Sep 2021

Hi, GE is coming from the IDT. IDT was been a sample-based engine.
When gorilla coming to first steps, I'm was been one of the first who come in its beta test. And I have enough info about how GE was born, what it was been at start and how GE evolution is coming up to current days. Because have active beta tests with own wishlist to GE, as some other devs that in beta test. Its all at NDA.

All talks there - about GE version, available for devs at Reason SDK site. You know, that main Gorilla site - at beta stage and access limited to the closed beta test group. This mean that any talks about GE now and here- can be something outdated. By devs that talk about it.. too.

I can't agree with many things about GE in this topic.
GE is more about scripting. Its a main idea. Its not just set of FX modules, sample-utilities, many other various modules..
The core - in script files. DSP quality of GE is on very high level.

I'm personally have long talks years ago to make possibilities for Devs, to starting use Gorilla for creation FX devices, Helpers utilities, not only instruments. And now it available for all devs after out tests and fx projects, created years ago.
Does any devs know this. Not. They can label me as skin creator.. Its a big Joke and bad play with misunderstanding how beta testers devs affects to GE that you open today and trying to use!

GE not limited to FXs, modules.. UJAM update them, update routings possibilities, make changes for scripting.. so, GE is software that have evolution on the eyes.
Scripting and modules tricks by developers with own skill - helps to create from very low basic functionals, really powerful ideas.
Just look at our BlueDepth. Its a really magic effect, that not available to build with Combinator 2.0 as example...
About what to talk there in comparing GE RE to Combi 2.0? BlueDepth is a very massive complex project, but very fast in work, not eat dsp-meter in Reason!

First problem when we ask about FX-processing builds by Gorilla, without sample-based instruments building, have question: "few FXs that can be used by developers = the same effects". But time ago this concept is broken, because adding something more to engine, adds new possibilities to work with FXs at fundamental level.. so many of the FXs, used today as utilities for something new.
Scripting changes also adds new and new possibilities to create new devices.

Look at DropNLift, or Ghammy.. Try to make the same with Reason stock devices. Polar? No (big latency).
So, if you really interesting to dive into it, you can start to open developer account. If you trying it, not think that other devs rally have small time work..

As example, currently we work on RE, about 9 months. !!!! 9!
Also we have unreleased a huge synth project and rebuild it few times from zero.. in last 4years!!
And somebody trying to say, that GE is a skin? For me its real Joke as superficial judgment.

So, I can understand only Reason SDK devs, talked that GE not flexible for some needs.. But they don't know something that under NDA. I think that they loving it in future.. someday when Gorilla go to public release.
But can't understand users and devs, that touch GE "as is as" from Reason SDK page...
GE include basic modules, this is only part of GE. Part of this modules was been created by UJAM from the developers ideas, needs and toughs about their own upcoming projects and wish lists for the future of the engine..

So, I'm loving GE as it changed from start up to this days, and how UJAM work with beta users, but it still on the beta and NDA. I'm waiting as many of other devs, the main public release. Its going to the real boom!


C2 - is a easy way to build some fundamental things with possibilities of Reason rack devices.
GE - is more like for a start developers to creative unbelievable results.

I repeat, now possible to use GE as FX devices, and Helpers at output -this was been also is my initiative (and may be few other beta devs) to include this to GE. And this was been not just idea. We have very long talks about this, discussions, RE developments, and tasks to realise "this or that" to our projects...
What I try to say, UJAM create beautiful engine, because they really listen ideas of developers (what devs really need to have in GE). You not find something the same in the world of plugins creation.

Combinator 2 - is not the same at all. Crazy to have any parallels.

Theory of 35-fx as limit of GE (about talking in topic upper), really not work. GE FXs is a real set of basic fundamental utilities to build new and new effects from the puzzles.
Routings, and at the 1st place - scripting is a heart of Gorilla.
With scripting you can realise cool ideas and have various solutions for this. Its really flexible.
And not as some devs trying to say just as "set of fxs". They don't know how this set was been created, how long tested and other story details of GE testing.

But about C2... its a very fast solution to build , no, not GUI.. backdrops... Create backdrop and add from library knobs.. cool. Fast! We loving it.
If RS trying to add this visual editor as part of Reason SDK with possibilities to use custom graphical elements for all SDK widgets, its can be really incredible. Because time for SDK 2D GUI vs C2 editor is two different things.
I think that many of devs are happy to find visual editor as part of SDK... But not think that is possible at near future.

I really loving C2 for one thing (MIDI OUT DEVICE + C2 interface = hardware controllers). Its already NEW level for the Reason at all. Use you CC/NRPN gear and control it from Reason rack! Dreams from early Reason versions!

GE like a scripting with Reaktor. Did you create before devices on the paper, build them and test in Reactor and trying to find ways build in GE?.. oh.. better to say about GE devs like skin creators?) Hmm..
You can trying to create what you need! And big role there - research how to realise it with various possible tricks.
You can read fundamental,ental musical theory in musical devices and learn how they was been created.. this researches helps to create new ways today to have modern look on this.

I not find real parallels between C2 and GE/RE. Because C2 is a express-generator of UI and devices routings, with widgets limitation and very simple matrix editor (with real problems of its own limitations!!!).
As example - I can't make with C2 fine work by controlling many parameters with various ranges.. its working on the half.. Not thing this is a bug, this is more about limitations..
But C2 cool, and really not flexible and work in the way of starting a-la "devs itself" into reason rack.

Hard to say negative about anything... perfect time:
- RE SDK
- GE
- C2!!!! new additional way of Reason devices.

And cool if many of the devs start to create RE with C2 patches. Additional degree to the look of the device possibilities
Last edited by turn2on on 14 Sep 2021, edited 2 times in total.

drno
RE Developer
Posts: 49
Joined: 01 Jan 2016

Post 10 Sep 2021

selig wrote:
09 Sep 2021
...For me the fun part is the overall routing, especially if it concerns logic and difficult issues to solve. There are many things I do that would never work with Gorillia Engine, such as developing the continuous slope, asymmetric EQ curves, or harmonic control in ColoringEQ, the logic for how Leveler works, the Pan laws in Gain, or most of the DeEsser (and certainly a good bit of my new RE)...
Yes Selig, what you say is very interesting too and there is a great field of research in it, and the best thing is when you start to compare analog equipment and you see the existing non-linearities in the equipment as the parameters change and how it affects the signal frequencies. Implementing that kind of thing is a lot of fun too.
That is why I say that GE / IDT does not allow you such fine control as directly interacting with the SDK, at least until now.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests