Announcing - Rack Extension - Quick Start

This forum is for developers of Rack Extensions to discuss the RE SDK, share code, and offer tips to other developers.
pongasoft
RE Developer

Post 12 Nov 2020

Hello everyone

I am very happy to announce the release of a brand new web/online tool that lets you easily create a fully buildable and deployable Rack Extension by simply filling out a form (similar to what I did with Jamba). After filling out the (long) name and manufacturer the other
fields will have default values that you can obviously change. You can choose the size and type of the RE.

The tool is accessible on the pongasoft website Rack Extension - Quick Start

The 2 preview sections let you see:

- what the plugin looks like (for example an effect will have a stereo pair of inputs and output in the back, a note player will have nothing)
- what the generated files look like (the tool takes care of generating the right motherboard including routing, bypass, etc... as well as the properly sized background images including transparent section for the rails, device2D.lua, hdgui_2D.lua, etc...)

If you are satisfied with what you see you can download the zip file, unzip it and build it (follow the instructions in the README file).

Note that if you have the SDK installed in the "default" (per re-cmake) location (which means you don't have to provide it as a parameter to the configure command), then this entire series of steps boils down to:
  1. fill out the form
  2. download zip file and unzip
  3. cd <zip>; run ./configure.py
  4. cd build; run ./re.sh install
  5. start recon and load the device
I can do these steps in less than 1 minute (yes it is not a typo... and the longest is to start recon!)

Here is an overview of the tool

Screen Shot 2020-11-12 at 06.23.53.png

The code of the tool itself will be made open source as well once I clean it up a bit (meaning write documentation).

As always, please provide feedback and do not hesitate to reach out for help!

Yan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Loque

Post 12 Nov 2020

Dude! Great stuff! I just wish the day has more than 24h 😒
:reason: 11, Win10 64Bit.

esselfortium

Post 12 Nov 2020

This is amazing, great work!

pongasoft
RE Developer

Post 12 Nov 2020

I have recorded a short video demonstrating the tool in action:

Yan

avasopht

Post 12 Nov 2020

Awesome. Thanks!
---

Boombastix

Post 12 Nov 2020

Very interesting. I hope RS will start to pay you to develop this further.

I downloaded the RE SDK and tried to read through it, to understand how it all tied together, but found it was like a pile of spaghetti. Went to the developer forum, just to find other users asking the most basic questions on how to get started, things that wasn't described/clear in the manuals, and there was so much missing or not useful. Realized it would probably take several weeks just to understand the SDK and try to find missing info that might be hiding buried on the forum etc. It wasn't worth my time. Felt like the manuals were written by an engineer for an engineer who had 5+yrs of RE development experience.

This could clearly be the start of making something user friendly.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

miscend

Post 12 Nov 2020

Boombastix wrote:
12 Nov 2020
Felt like the manuals were written by an engineer for an engineer who had 5+yrs of RE development experience.

This could clearly be the start of making something user friendly.
Lol. The SDK was originally designed for seasoned coders with deep knowledge of DSP. But of course that's all changed now since making the SDK public.

pongasoft
RE Developer

Post 14 Nov 2020

I just published/open sourced the code of the tool itself if you are interested: https://github.com/pongasoft/re-quickstart

Yan

• Information