"Low-hanging-fruit" feature requests compilation

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
joeyluck

21 Oct 2023

I think this is my lowest hanging fruit request? Different graphics for the multi-lane edit buttons:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7518587

I still see people getting confused about it. Many don't know about the feature because it's not intuitive and you might not know about it without first reading the manual. And even after knowing what it does, for me it's visually confusing and takes much eye strain to figure out what I have selected, what's not selected, and what's in view...

antic604

30 Oct 2023

joeyluck wrote:
21 Oct 2023
I think this is my lowest hanging fruit request? Different graphics for the multi-lane edit buttons:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7518587

I still see people getting confused about it. Many don't know about the feature because it's not intuitive and you might not know about it without first reading the manual. And even after knowing what it does, for me it's visually confusing and takes much eye strain to figure out what I have selected, what's not selected, and what's in view...
Yeah, seems useful & easy enough to implement.
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

ortxedys

30 Oct 2023

Im talking about the actual Reason DAW here. Drag and drop from the browser into VST's. We have the ability to do it with the built in stuff and RE's but not with VST's. Please fix this. I have a workaround of saving and loading but its the only thing I feel kills workflow compared to Ableton and FL Studio. Im back using the Reason because I realized even those DAWs have stuff their missing. Its such a small fix.

joeyluck

01 Nov 2023

Here's some other suggestions regarding VST handling that I think would fall under this category (and some evidence that they listen to suggestions big and small): viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7508602
  • Filter by plugin type — got this with 12.5.2 :thumbup:
  • Preference to open VSTs upon creation
  • Preference to keep VSTs open by default
  • Collapsable option bar / smaller icons on VST window
  • More channels available without opening programmer — got this with 12.5.0 :thumbup:

DaveyG

01 Nov 2023

luckygreen wrote:
21 Oct 2023
Wasn't aware of it but today I saw that even ProTools has copied the Ableton session view. So after Bitwig, Logic, ProTools and most problably other DAWs I'm not aware of have an Ableton Live like session view sketch pad, I would guess that one of the next big feature upgrades for Reason would be a Live-like session view. :puf_smile:
Yep, a session view and/or clip launcher would be a really good mesh with the Reason way of doing things. It's something I'd love in Studio One too. Maybe one day. Maybe not.... :|

selig
RE Developer

01 Nov 2023

DaveyG wrote:
01 Nov 2023
luckygreen wrote:
21 Oct 2023
Wasn't aware of it but today I saw that even ProTools has copied the Ableton session view. So after Bitwig, Logic, ProTools and most problably other DAWs I'm not aware of have an Ableton Live like session view sketch pad, I would guess that one of the next big feature upgrades for Reason would be a Live-like session view. :puf_smile:
Yep, a session view and/or clip launcher would be a really good mesh with the Reason way of doing things. It's something I'd love in Studio One too. Maybe one day. Maybe not.... :|
Don't know if something this big is "low hanging fruit", but I was really hoping Blocks had this feature back when I was first announced. I had imagined a Block based "Pattern Sequencer" that would allow you to jump between Blocks as the song played (to audition different arrangements on the fly like with Studio Vision and others), and to be able to string Blocks together like a drum machine can chain patterns in "song mode". That's another reason for wanting a "convert selection to Block" feature, to build quick arrangements when all you have are a handful of idea fragments!
Selig Audio, LLC

Overtherainbow

01 Nov 2023

full screen mode, please.

joeyluck

01 Nov 2023

Some other ones I think would fit this list:
  • preference to auto-label clips. I like to label everything, so much of my workflow is selecting to add labels. By default, the label field could take the name of the audio file or track name, or it could be blank. But if the label field automatically exists, then all I'd have to do is double-click and type without the need to choose to create a label every time.
  • preference to auto-create new lane when recording on loop. I'd like it so that when recording on loop it doesn't record over my MIDI data, but instead, creates a new lane when the loop begins. You'd have the additional option of alt or dub. This would be good for trying different takes with or for layering.

joeyluck

09 Nov 2023

Another one that I think would make this list:
  • Separate option for "New Devices Get Browse Focus" for VSTs. A majority of the time, when I add a VST to the rack, the browser jumps to the irrelevant Documents folder. I prefer that REs get browse focus, because it works well and works all the time, but I would like for it to not try with VSTs. So having a separate option for VST would be nice.
Could look something like this, or could just be two separate options to tick.

browse-focus-select.png
browse-focus-select.png (36.69 KiB) Viewed 19074 times

antic604

06 Dec 2023

joeyluck wrote:
09 Nov 2023
  • Separate option for "New Devices Get Browse Focus" for VSTs. A majority of the time, when I add a VST to the rack, the browser jumps to the irrelevant Documents folder. I prefer that REs get browse focus, because it works well and works all the time, but I would like for it to not try with VSTs. So having a separate option for VST would be nice.

browse-focus-select.png
Are there even VSTs that have presets available through Reason's browser? I think most developers use their own preset / preset bank formats. I think I only ever saw U-He's presets in Bitwig's browser.
Music tech enthusiast.

huggermugger

06 Dec 2023

joeyluck wrote:
01 Nov 2023

[*]Preference to open VSTs upon creation
[*]Preference to keep VSTs open by default
+1, esp Keep Open preference.

Disappearing VSTs would have to be the stupidest idea Props ever came up with. I think their lead programmer was taking a shit when they coded this one.

electrofux

06 Dec 2023

We have this little blue button on the left side of a device in the Rack that creates a sequencertrack so that your controller gets focus on that device.

I would want to have an additional button that sets focus on the device but doesnt create a sequencertrack. It is a huge pain in the ass to have a ton of sequencer lanes created when you just want to tweak a couple of parameters in a big combinator or some fx devices.

electrofux

06 Dec 2023

Also trigger pads in the combinator. not only toggle pads. Radiobuttons too.

huggermugger

06 Dec 2023

joeyluck wrote:
01 Nov 2023

[*]More channels available without opening programmer — got this with 12.5.0 :thumbup:[/list]
Hmm, not sure what you mean. Do you mean optional audio outputs? I don't see any more than the basic stereo outputs unless I open the programmer (R 12.7).
Attachments
Screen Shot 2023-12-06 at 10.18.52 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-12-06 at 10.18.52 AM.png (174.09 KiB) Viewed 16426 times

joeyluck

06 Dec 2023

huggermugger wrote:
06 Dec 2023
joeyluck wrote:
01 Nov 2023

[*]More channels available without opening programmer — got this with 12.5.0 :thumbup:[/list]
Hmm, not sure what you mean. Do you mean optional audio outputs? I don't see any more than the basic stereo outputs unless I open the programmer (R 12.7).
Just in terms of audio inputs. For effect VSTs, we no longer need to open the programmer / show optional I/O in order to access the sidechain inputs. I was happy that they added a ton more optional I/O. I think before it was 8 inputs and 16 outputs and now 16 inputs and 64 outputs. They made great use of space switching to having the numbers light up and eliminating the LEDs.

sidechain.png
sidechain.png (285.68 KiB) Viewed 16389 times
For now I accepted having to show optional I/O for additional outputs because if I'm using additional outputs, I'm often using many of them. In my mockup, I had moved two additional outputs to the top, but not sure how useful that is...?

joeyluck

06 Dec 2023

antic604 wrote:
06 Dec 2023
joeyluck wrote:
09 Nov 2023

browse-focus-select.png
Are there even VSTs that have presets available through Reason's browser? I think most developers use their own preset / preset bank formats. I think I only ever saw U-He's presets in Bitwig's browser.
Yeah I'm not sure. I stopped paying attention to it because for most VSTs, it just didn't work. For those VST2 plugins that use .fxb, it's handy being able to scroll presets in the patch display on the VST proxy device itself. But even in those cases, I've found that Reason's browser is still pointing to my general Documents folder. And with VST3 and the .vstpreset, it doesn't seem like you can scroll presets in the patch display on the VST proxy device.

I'm not sure if there's a better solution they can come up with to assign and browse VST patches from Reason's browser, but until then, I'd like to be able to have a different behavior when loading a VST and not have the browser jump to a Documents folder that is irrelevant to the plugin I just loaded.

ChulaCoola

10 Dec 2023

joeyluck wrote:
01 Nov 2023
Some other ones I think would fit this list:
  • preference to auto-label clips. I like to label everything, so much of my workflow is selecting to add labels. By default, the label field could take the name of the audio file or track name, or it could be blank. But if the label field automatically exists, then all I'd have to do is double-click and type without the need to choose to create a label every time.
  • preference to auto-create new lane when recording on loop. I'd like it so that when recording on loop it doesn't record over my MIDI data, but instead, creates a new lane when the loop begins. You'd have the additional option of alt or dub. This would be good for trying different takes with or for layering.
Joeyluck, I like those two ideas!
Music lover/explorer extraordinaire, guitar player fair, and still have my hair at 60.

ChulaCoola

10 Dec 2023

I mentioned this one a few months ago. I'd like an End Marker recall button. Hit the button, the end marker instantly pops into the middle of your current view. I had to spend about a couple of minutes dragging the marker to where I wanted it because for some reason it was WAY out in the sticks. I don't care if it starts out in the boonies, I just want to be able to quickly recall it back to where I can use it if I need it.

I don't know if these would be easy or not:
I'd like a way to type text notes somewhere in the sequencer. Right now, I have to use the track label feature, which may not always be practical, I use that for things specific to the track. I don't want to have to put song related stuff into a track label. Maybe a Comments feature, like in Microsoft Excel or Word. Or a scrollable text window above the tracks, or a drop down window.

For that matter, being able to put notes on the front of the rack would be good sometimes too, though I don't need that a lot. I can use dividers for that, but... those take space.
Music lover/explorer extraordinaire, guitar player fair, and still have my hair at 60.

antic604

11 Dec 2023

ChulaCoola wrote:
10 Dec 2023
I mentioned this one a few months ago. I'd like an End Marker recall button. Hit the button, the end marker instantly pops into the middle of your current view. I had to spend about a couple of minutes dragging the marker to where I wanted it because for some reason it was WAY out in the sticks. I don't care if it starts out in the boonies, I just want to be able to quickly recall it back to where I can use it if I need it.
I'm 99.9% sure there's a keyboard shortcut for that. On PC:
- Ctrl + click on the beat bar sets the L brace
- Alt + click sets the R brace

End is either Ctrl + Alt + click or something with Shift (or maybe Shift + click)? Can't check right now, but it's definitely in the keyboard shortcut list on Reason webpage.
Music tech enthusiast.

huggermugger

11 Dec 2023

As antic604 already said...
Attachments
Screen Shot 2023-12-11 at 8.25.42 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-12-11 at 8.25.42 AM.png (23.03 KiB) Viewed 15583 times

SyncOpatedShuffler

15 Feb 2024

Would be great to have a keyboard shortcut or Remote override option to toggle the 'lock controller to device' function.

• Information