Multiple save points based on undo/redo history in the same project

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
soundmodel

24 Sep 2023

I've done this mistake many times now. Now I think it's worth for a feature.

The problem is that when one trials different ideas in the same project, then they will exist in the project undo/redo history.

However, when one saves a project, the history is lost, and one commits to a single idea on that project file.

If one wished to save multiple ideas from the same project that has them, then one'd need to be able to save from multiple points of the undo/redo history. Without the file becoming commited to a particular one.

selig
RE Developer

24 Sep 2023

soundmodel wrote:
24 Sep 2023
I've done this mistake many times now. Now I think it's worth for a feature.

The problem is that when one trials different ideas in the same project, then they will exist in the project undo/redo history.

However, when one saves a project, the history is lost, and one commits to a single idea on that project file.

If one wished to save multiple ideas from the same project that has them, then one'd need to be able to save from multiple points of the undo/redo history. Without the file becoming commited to a particular one.
+1 for this suggestion. Since starting to mix more in LUNA, which has this feature (called Bookmarks), I can say it is very useful. Especially if not working alone, or with a client, when someone says stuff like “the vocal sounded better three mixes/versions ago.

I should point out I’ve been asking for this very feature (Mix Versions) since Reason and Record were separate applications, so I’m not holding my breath! ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

joeyluck

24 Sep 2023

Yeah versioning is very needed. My projects are large and each time I want to save a new version, I have to save a separate project, duplicating the audio and taking up so much disk space.

selig
RE Developer

24 Sep 2023

joeyluck wrote:
24 Sep 2023
Yeah versioning is very needed. My projects are large and each time I want to save a new version, I have to save a separate project, duplicating the audio and taking up so much disk space.
Great point about the audio files - since we began talking about versions for Record/Reason, many DAWs have actually gone and added that feature. Logic was the first I heard with this feature (Project Alternatives, Logic Pro X 2013), but it was 3-4 years after we were all talking about it being added to Reason. Not sure when others added the feature (just found out recently that Digital Performer had something similar around the same time we were suggesting it for Reason,), just pointing out there was a chance to possibly beat the other DAWs to the punch, but sadly it never happened. Now I think most every DAW has a similar feature, except Reason. :(
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information