Sequencer editing marker

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
ChulaCoola

01 Sep 2023

I would love for a marker in the Sequencer that I can use to line up notes/other in audio/Midi/other tracks. For example, I want to make a break in a track, add a drum track or other notes in the break, and put notes in an exact place, but it is hard to do that even with the grid numbers, because not all notes, etc, line up directly on a line.

So it would look similar to the L/R/End markers, but it would have its own unique look, perhaps a different shape, color, and would extend down through all tracks. Then I could line up the marker on the end of a break in one track, open up another track to edit, and see exactly where that line is... where the track ends, and where I can put my note. Or whatever else I may be doing in the tracks. AND... it wouldn't move unless I move it and wouldn't be restricted to grid lines.
Music lover/explorer extraordinaire, guitar player fair, and still have my hair at 60.

jam-s

01 Sep 2023

You could use the Blocks feature for this.

selig
RE Developer

02 Sep 2023

I use the play head for this all the time. Just align it on one track, switch to any other and there’s your marker. Not sure what another line would achieve this doesn’t already cover?
Selig Audio, LLC

ChulaCoola

02 Sep 2023

Yea, I can use that. Until I hit play to see how my change sounds! No thanks! I could use End marker I guess. Unless I am in Blocks mode. Which so far I haven't used, though I looked into it after jam-s response. So it still is a valid idea.
Still, it would be a nice feature.
Music lover/explorer extraordinaire, guitar player fair, and still have my hair at 60.

selig
RE Developer

03 Sep 2023

ChulaCoola wrote:
02 Sep 2023
Yea, I can use that. Until I hit play to see how my change sounds! No thanks! I could use End marker I guess. Unless I am in Blocks mode. Which so far I haven't used, though I looked into it after jam-s response. So it still is a valid idea.
Why would that be a problem? Just set the transport to return to the start position after playback. Working this way there would be zero advantage for a dedicated control, or am I missing something obvious?
As you mention you can also use the end marker, or the L marker, or the R marker. I get TONS of work done with using the play head trick and can’t imagine any faster way to do this.

Well, I CAN imagine one way, which is to NOT have MIDI editing as an exclusive mode. In other DAWs you just zoom in to edit MIDI, without having to go into an edit mode. This allows you to see the audio tracks AND the MIDI tracks at the same time. And then you can use a quick trick to fine tune the alignment, but you’re not going to like hearing it (because you zoom in and use the playhead to line things up). ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

ChulaCoola

03 Sep 2023

selig wrote:
03 Sep 2023
ChulaCoola wrote:
02 Sep 2023
Why would that be a problem? Just set the transport to return to the start position after playback. "

How do I do that?

"Working this way there would be zero advantage for a dedicated control, or am I missing something obvious?
As you mention you can also use the end marker, or the L marker, or the R marker. I get TONS of work done with using the play head trick and can’t imagine any faster way to do this."

I do use the L or R sometimes. But I usually use that to keep my working window small enough to keep the play marker in view without the clip moving around on me, and to play the part I am working on over and over while mulling whether I like something or not, as I am sure you do, or to move notes around while it is playing. I was working on one part where I wanted to put a couple of breaks in an audio track, and add a quick drum fill in both gaps, and I wanted to time it exactly as possible, for the fill to occur exactly at the end of the last note, while also moving the drum fill notes around to make the fill and timing sound right, not stiff. So it was problematic using the play head because, it took at least 10 times or more on one break, then doing it on the other one. I had to keep going back to the audio track to set the play marker back in place (because I didn't know you could make it return to the starting point. I simply returned it by letting it loop. Also, I ended up moving the clip around a number of times to make everything work.

Again, how do I make it return?

And while we are talking about making things return, is there a trick to fetching the End marker, if it is way at the end of a long clip/song or beyond, and quickly call it back to where you want it, without having to spend 30 seconds to a minute dragging it back to the beginning or within the working window? A key command combo? Maybe you could add a Recall End Marker?! (should I make a separate thread for this?)

"Well, I CAN imagine one way, which is to NOT have MIDI editing as an exclusive mode. In other DAWs you just zoom in to edit MIDI, without having to go into an edit mode. This allows you to see the audio tracks AND the MIDI tracks at the same time. And then you can use a quick trick to fine tune the alignment, but you’re not going to like hearing it (because you zoom in and use the playhead to line things up). ;)

selig
RE Developer

03 Sep 2023

Preferences/General/Editing: Return to last start position on stop.

Shift/Click anywhere in the timeline and the End Marker will be placed in that position.
Selig Audio, LLC

ChulaCoola

03 Sep 2023

:thumbup: Alright, I tried it and it works. I'll do that for now. Hopefully my complaining will stop! :thumbup:

• Information