Bring Back Rewire or a New Solution for DAW Sync

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
JoseK

31 Aug 2023

There are a good many of us (particularly in Film and TV music) who have relied on Rewire as the backbone of our DAW process. In my case, Rewire syncing between Ableton 10 and Cubase 11 is the sweet spot that I will have to continue working with until another solution is created, barring me from any future updates of my DAWs in the meantime.

Whether it means providing support for Rewire or creating a new plugin/solution, I and many others would absolutely be willing to pay a separate fee just for this Rewire feature to return as it is so fundamental to our work.

Thank you for all of your amazing work!

EnochLight

31 Aug 2023

What DAW do you use for your film/tv productions? If it supports Ableton Link, then your solution is already in Reason. Otherwise, it's RRP in any DAW you want.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Loque

31 Aug 2023

I am not one of the "many others"...
Reason12, Win10

jam-s

31 Aug 2023

The intended solution from RS is to use multiple instances of the Reason Rack Plugin VST instead of Rewire.

PhillipOrdonez

31 Aug 2023

Ableton link is a great solution. Otherwise the reason rack plugin works like a charm.

DaveyG

01 Sep 2023

jam-s wrote:
31 Aug 2023
The intended solution from RS is to use multiple instances of the Reason Rack Plugin VST instead of Rewire.
Except you can't run VSTs in RRP, which renders quite a few of my "old" combinators useless.

I used to use Rewire a lot and it had advantages and disadvantages when compared with RRP. I'd like it back but it's never going to happen. The subject regularly pops up in other DAW forums. I don't think RS realised how many people were using it in non-Reason applications to sync multiple DAWs and video projects. It was a successful and popular standard. Ableton link does not replicate most of the Rewire capabilities.

jam-s

01 Sep 2023

DaveyG wrote:
01 Sep 2023
jam-s wrote:
31 Aug 2023
Except you can't run VSTs in RRP, which renders quite a few of my "old" combinators useless.
Yes, that's one of the things which makes this intended solution only half-hearted. I suppose adding VST hosting to the VST would have been a bit tricky so they skipped it.

EnochLight

01 Sep 2023

I'd wager people grossly overestimated how many users were still actually using ReWire when they released RRP and deprecated the tech. It clearly wasn't enough for them to keep updating ReWire and keep it active, otherwise they would have. And judging from the immense amount of new users that appeared when RRP became a thing, I'd wager they were right. Regardless, it's neither here nor there because ReWire is dead and it will never, ever come back. So it's either Ableton Link or RRP, or bust. Sucks about the Combi, though.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

inteliboy

21 Sep 2023

Removing Rewire has seriously crippled our workflow. And no, reason rack VST does NOT replace Reason...

Ableton Link isn't useful for professional scoring sessions as Live isn't used for that purpose - rather Logic, Pro Tools and a few others are industry standard and support scoring features.

It's been an incredibly frustrating year or two for professional Reason users.

Also if opening old projects that rely on rewire - are we supposed so have a seperate computer with a legacy setup running? Is that the idea?

huggermugger

21 Sep 2023

inteliboy wrote:
21 Sep 2023
Removing Rewire has seriously crippled our workflow. And no, reason rack VST does NOT replace Reason...
Ableton Link isn't useful for professional scoring sessions as Live isn't used for that purpose - rather Logic, Pro Tools and a few others are industry standard and support scoring features.
It's been an incredibly frustrating year or two for professional Reason users.
Props doesn't give a flying f*** about film scoring or any other professional users. They have stated clearly that their market is the "I make beats" crowd, so-called "producers" who wouldn't know the front from the back of a f***ing ghetto blaster.

jam-s

21 Sep 2023

inteliboy wrote:
21 Sep 2023
Also if opening old projects that rely on rewire - are we supposed so have a seperate computer with a legacy setup running? Is that the idea?
You can have the old Rewire enabled version (10.4) installed in parallel to a Reason 11 or Reason 12 version. So at least old projects should still work (unless you make the fatal mistake to ever open and save them in a newer version of Reason).

Stamatz

09 Nov 2023

I still have rewire installed on my Win11 system along with Reason 10.0 for use with the Rebirth Input Machine synced with Rebirth.
For reason 12, I use Abelton Link when syncing between Reason 12 and Serato DJ Pro which works great.
Nektar P4, Alesis VX49, Roland DJ-202, Korg DS-8, Casio RZ-1, Epiphone Guitar, MOTU M4, Samson BT Monitors. Twin Displays. AMD Ryzen 9 7950x3D, 32 GB Ram, AMD Radeon 6800XT,

• Information