Drum Sequencer is a couple of tracks short of useful

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
robussc

23 Jun 2023

I'm trying to program the 260 Patterns and I'm sometimes running out of tracks. 8 is just too few. Ancient Redrum has 10 programmable drums. So I wish there were at least 10 tracks and probably should be 16 to fully cover devices like Kong.

(I'd also argue for an accent track).

It's a lovely little drum sequencer otherwise.
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

PhillipOrdonez

23 Jun 2023

You can stack them. I know it isn't the best solution but at least can be done, that would cover the 16 pads of Kong 🤷‍♂️

wowhow
Competition Winner

23 Jun 2023

You could stack the players maybe!
You could also add accent by routing a cv from one of the drum sequencer outputs to a mod input via combinator.

robussc

23 Jun 2023

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
23 Jun 2023
You can stack them. I know it isn't the best solution but at least can be done, that would cover the 16 pads of Kong 🤷‍♂️
That’s fine for an individual case, but I’m trying to make a preset collection. I guess I could split them between drums and percussion…
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

wowhow
Competition Winner

23 Jun 2023

You could save the combinator patches in the preset.

robussc

23 Jun 2023

wowhow wrote:
23 Jun 2023
You could save the combinator patches in the preset.
Yeah, it’s just so clunky when a few extra tracks would have handled it.

wowhow
Competition Winner

24 Jun 2023

Yea! I agree.
It would be easier to have more tracks for the purpose of making drum patterns.

challism

24 Jun 2023

Yup, it's too limited in both the tracks and the track lengths (steps). 16 steps just doesn't cut it. When I find myself using it in a project, I usually end up swapping it out for something with more features like Kompulsion, Sequences or mDSQ.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

PhillipOrdonez

24 Jun 2023

It would be infinitely more useful if it had trig conditions

dioxide

24 Jun 2023

It's definitely one of the weakest drum sequencers available in the Rack. It seems as if they didn't want to tread on the toes of the existing drum sequencers because it's like half a device. Remote implementation is poor also, which is bad because IMO RS should be showing what is possible to other Devs.

selig
RE Developer

24 Jun 2023

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
24 Jun 2023
IMO, ALL of Reason’s sequencers would be more useful if they had trigger conditions. At the VERY least, give us the one things all drum machines have had forever that none of Reason’s have: “double” the length of a pattern. This can accomplish the same thing as conditions via ‘brute force’, such as having an open hi hat etc. happen ever other bar of an otherwise repeating pattern.
In ReDrum you have to extend the pattern length and then manually duplicate the parts. In Drum Sequencer you have to copy a pattern then program a pattern change every bar (copy/paste). But how much simpler to just either be able to double the pattern or even better use a condition.

Random chance per step is also cool but not at all the same thing. This one’s been a head scratcher since I first used Reason 20 years ago!
Selig Audio, LLC

PhillipOrdonez

24 Jun 2023

selig wrote:
24 Jun 2023
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
24 Jun 2023
IMO, ALL of Reason’s sequencers would be more useful if they had trigger conditions. At the VERY least, give us the one things all drum machines have had forever that none of Reason’s have: “double” the length of a pattern. This can accomplish the same thing as conditions via ‘brute force’, such as having an open hi hat etc. happen ever other bar of an otherwise repeating pattern.
In ReDrum you have to extend the pattern length and then manually duplicate the parts. In Drum Sequencer you have to copy a pattern then program a pattern change every bar (copy/paste). But how much simpler to just either be able to double the pattern or even better use a condition.

Random chance per step is also cool but not at all the same thing. This one’s been a head scratcher since I first used Reason 20 years ago!
Indeed. The only RS sequencer that implemented this, though not properly, is poly step.

On drum sequencer, trig conditions could literally be implemented together with the random chance using the same slider, so no need to actually change the UI for that.

Billy+

24 Jun 2023

do you have access to Sequences Player ?

it's on sale at the moment..

selig
RE Developer

24 Jun 2023

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
24 Jun 2023

Indeed. The only RS sequencer that implemented this, though not properly, is poly step.

On drum sequencer, trig conditions could literally be implemented together with the random chance using the same slider, so no need to actually change the UI for that.
I’d call “variations” a third approach, more like extending the length of a pattern in ReDrum but adding copy/paste, and yet you still have to copy, select the next version, and then paste compared to a single command for the ‘double’ function.

A “conditions” feature is probably the most elegant and obvious of the three approaches as it doesn’t need additional displays/pages or need to store additional data, and depending on the provided conditions can allow building rather complex patterns from a single ‘page’ of steps.
Selig Audio, LLC

PhillipOrdonez

24 Jun 2023

selig wrote:
24 Jun 2023
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
24 Jun 2023

I’d call “variations” a third approach, more like extending the length of a pattern in ReDrum but adding copy/paste, and yet you still have to copy, select the next version, and then paste compared to a single command for the ‘double’ function.

A “conditions” feature is probably the most elegant and obvious of the three approaches as it doesn’t need additional displays/pages or need to store additional data, and depending on the provided conditions can allow building rather complex patterns from a single ‘page’ of steps.
Certainly,. But I'm referring to the trig conditions they implemented on poly step, not the variations. They didn't really go all the way with them unfortunately. They did, however, implement them together with the chance, iirc.

huggermugger

24 Jun 2023

Propulsion is an alternative. Sixteen lanes, thirty two steps, lots of sequencing options. It's not a Player, but it's easy to patch.

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... sequencer/
Attachments
Screen Shot 2023-06-24 at 4.23.08 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-06-24 at 4.23.08 PM.png (167.1 KiB) Viewed 3407 times

challism

24 Jun 2023

huggermugger wrote:
24 Jun 2023
Propulsion is an alternative. Sixteen lanes, thirty two steps, lots of sequencing options. It's not a Player, but it's easy to patch.

Yes, Kompulsion's little (yet older) brother often gets overlooked.

selig
RE Developer

24 Jun 2023

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
24 Jun 2023
Certainly,. But I'm referring to the trig conditions they implemented on poly step, not the variations. They didn't really go all the way with them unfortunately. They did, however, implement them together with the chance, iirc.
I have PolyStep, and just checked the manual and can’t find anything on “conditions” - is the feature you’re talking about called conditions or something else?
I DID find a command to duplicate the current pattern into all four variations, so that helps speed up the process of using Variations for longer sequences.
Selig Audio, LLC

RandomNoise

25 Jun 2023

Drum Sequencer coupled with the Umpf racks have so much potential to become the best drum/percussion units for my need only if they just get those needed updates... I keep going back to using Redrum for simplicity and efficiency of workflow, but still wishing it had some of those extra features Drum Sequencer and the Umpf racks have.

RandomNoise

25 Jun 2023

huggermugger wrote:
24 Jun 2023

I totally forgot I've purchased this long time ago and never really used it.. No option to automate and sequence the patterns is a killer for me :thumbs_down:
Plus it is almost impossible to keep track of the length of each lane if you are after some polymeter grooves (this is done much better on the Drum Sequencer)

crimsonwarlock

25 Jun 2023

RandomNoise wrote:
25 Jun 2023
No option to automate and sequence the patterns is a killer for me :thumbs_down:
Of course you can automate the patterns. Otherwise, what would be the use. It is not user-friendly, I give you that, and the fact that the user manual also gives no clue is a serious oversight. However, if you record enable parameter automation on the propulsion track in the sequencer, you can record a pattern change which creates the automation lane for it.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

RandomNoise

25 Jun 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
25 Jun 2023
RandomNoise wrote:
25 Jun 2023
No option to automate and sequence the patterns is a killer for me :thumbs_down:
Of course you can automate the patterns. Otherwise, what would be the use. It is not user-friendly, I give you that, and the fact that the user manual also gives no clue is a serious oversight. However, if you record enable parameter automation on the propulsion track in the sequencer, you can record a pattern change which creates the automation lane for it.
Oh my bad then.. I usually do a right click for the edit automation feature, but not seeing it I assumed it is not available :thumbup:
Screenshot 2023-06-25 at 12.37.45.png
Screenshot 2023-06-25 at 12.37.45.png (107.88 KiB) Viewed 3355 times

challism

25 Jun 2023

RandomNoise wrote:
25 Jun 2023
huggermugger wrote:
24 Jun 2023

I totally forgot I've purchased this long time ago and never really used it.. No option to automate and sequence the patterns is a killer for me :thumbs_down:
Plus it is almost impossible to keep track of the length of each lane if you are after some polymeter grooves (this is done much better on the Drum Sequencer)
Not all automatable parameters are always visible when you right click (on some devices). I've found the best way to see if a parameter is automatable is to arm the device for recording, start recording and clicking/adjusting parameters.

PhillipOrdonez

25 Jun 2023

selig wrote:
24 Jun 2023
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
24 Jun 2023
I have PolyStep, and just checked the manual and can’t find anything on “conditions” - is the feature you’re talking about called conditions or something else?
I DID find a command to duplicate the current pattern into all four variations, so that helps speed up the process of using Variations for longer sequences.
If you go to the right side where the 100% will play thingy is, and slide it all the way down past 0% you are presented with a few x:x conditions.

RandomNoise

25 Jun 2023

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
25 Jun 2023
selig wrote:
24 Jun 2023

If you go to the right side where the 100% will play thingy is, and slide it all the way down past 0% you are presented with a few x:x conditions.
Not related to this thread, but I just listened to your Objekt submission in the signature, really cool track! very groovy :thumbup:

• Information