Rack focus locators request

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
visheshl

09 Jun 2023

So many have been requesting rack folders and such to ease navigation in the rack.
While that would be useful for organising devices in folders and opening and closing folders, im requesting rack view locators for both Reason and RRP.

So basically you focus your rack view on a device, and on the right side of reason and RRP rack is a section which shows rack locators.it has an add locator button on top.
You focus your rack to a particular device or devices, click add locator, and theres a new locator on the right side panel, now you scroll the rack to wherever you want, but when you click that locator, the view jumps to that device/set of devices.
If you remove that device nothing happens, it still jumps to that place, where there may be another device now.
And you can right click on the locator button on the right side panel and select delete locator menu option to delete it.

Is this a good suggestion?

crimsonwarlock

09 Jun 2023

The tracks in the sequencer act as locators, and the SSL-mixer has locator buttons as well.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

selig
RE Developer

09 Jun 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
09 Jun 2023
The tracks in the sequencer act as locators, and the SSL-mixer has locator buttons as well.
I would agree with this based on workflow. Meaning, the reason you want to find stuff in the rack is most often because you’re coming from the sequencer or mixer and need to find a specific device. And there are already ways to do that.

I would personally rather have stuff like show/hide for tracks/channels first, or at least a way to collapse a group of channels to reduce clutter (or a ‘spill’ function like some DAWs).

There may be other reasons for your suggestion, so I may be focusing only on a specific use case here.
Selig Audio, LLC

visheshl

09 Jun 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
09 Jun 2023
Ok but what if you don't want to switch to the mixer for live performance reasons...
Also im trying to use RRP.

Ok I'll try standalone for the live set.
But i need a solution for this, i need my midi keyboard to send notes to all the instruments all the time, instead of just the selected instrument, because while doing a live set, i need my base line, my arpeggios, my chords to follow the note im playing...any solution to this ?
Also i need to use players

selig
RE Developer

09 Jun 2023

visheshl wrote:
09 Jun 2023
crimsonwarlock wrote:
09 Jun 2023
Ok but what if you don't want to switch to the mixer for live performance reasons...
Also im trying to use RRP.

Ok I'll try standalone for the live set.
But i need a solution for this, i need my midi keyboard to send notes to all the instruments all the time, instead of just the selected instrument, because while doing a live set, i need my base line, my arpeggios, my chords to follow the note im playing...any solution to this ?
Also i need to use players
I must have misunderstood, you didn’t mention MIDI at all in your initial post. Is this related to the Rack Focus suggestion or something else?
The simplest solution is to put things in a Combinator. Your entire song could just be a big Combinator with everything following your keyboard, unless I’m missing something. Or you could have a Combinator per song, in order such that one button could advance to the next song (I used a similar setup for live work years ago).
Selig Audio, LLC

visheshl

09 Jun 2023

Ok selig, so you didn't misread at all, this is a separate problem i was facing if i wanted to use reason standalone for live performance, then i needed to send midi notes from the keyboard to all the instruments so that was another issue altogether, sorry for clubbing it with something else oops, should have made another thread.

visheshl

09 Jun 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
09 Jun 2023
Yup that works quite well in standalone, but theres no such thing in RRP... anyway for now im trying to get back to standalone for live stuff, lets see if it works out.

selig
RE Developer

09 Jun 2023

visheshl wrote:
09 Jun 2023
crimsonwarlock wrote:
09 Jun 2023
Yup that works quite well in standalone, but theres no such thing in RRP... anyway for now im trying to get back to standalone for live stuff, lets see if it works out.
The combinator would solve this, and to work in RRP I’d do the same thing I’d do in Reason: create a separate track for each song, and put the song’s combinator on that track. I don’t think I’ve ever actually used Reason live without building a Combinator for each song, or on one case a Combinator that could handle 3-4 patches with the buttons activating each “layer” as needed.
You may need to learn a slightly different workflow, but you have a few options that could work for you.
Selig Audio, LLC

visheshl

09 Jun 2023

Thanks, i just bought R12
Lets hope the new combi solves it for me, dling as we speak.

selig
RE Developer

10 Jun 2023

visheshl wrote:
09 Jun 2023
Thanks, i just bought R12
Lets hope the new combi solves it for me, dling as we speak.
There is nothing in the new combinator that “combines” instruments differently, other than a simple ‘summing’ mixer that automatically connects (which you would likely bypass anyway for your application). You will have more knobs/buttons to assign if needed, but otherwise you could test the process in r11 and know if it works for you or not. But sounds like you’re already moving to 12, so keep us posted!
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information