Ability to put mix channels inside a combinator

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
manisnotabird

13 May 2023

For instruments with multiple outputs I would love to be able to make a combinator with each of the different outputs going to its own mix channel.

huggermugger

13 May 2023

Unfortunately, a Combinator can only have one Mix Channel of its own, as you know. But you can 'fake' it by adding Mix Channels outside the Combinator and manually patching the instrument outputs. Then you can still take advantage of the control possibilities of having the instrument in the Combinator.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2023-05-13 at 8.05.30 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-05-13 at 8.05.30 AM.png (767.84 KiB) Viewed 1775 times

DJMaytag

15 Jul 2023

I was thinking about this the other day, and it would be nice if there was a "mix channel conduit" type of device, which would sit in a Combinator with the inputs, and that device would automatically be linked to a mix channel. It would occur without patching, much like you link mix channels to a group channel, but there's no patch cables making that happen.

If you save a Combinator with these conduit channels and then put the Combinator in a new project, Reason would automatically create the associated Mix channels. That doesn't solve a desire to have the mix channels set a certain way (ie EQ settings and inserts), so there might need to be a slightly different solution involved. Indeed, a Mix channel device specifically tailored to being put into a Combinator would be the ideal solution.

DJMaytag

15 Jul 2023

huggermugger wrote:
13 May 2023
Unfortunately, a Combinator can only have one Mix Channel of its own, as you know.
One of my biggest gripe about Combinators is that they're automatically linked to a Mix Channel. More often that not, I'm creating signal chain Combinators, which never need a Mix Channel.

selig
RE Developer

15 Jul 2023

My solution would be a mode where the multiple inputs (inside the Combinator) could be alternatively be passed through to new jacks on the back of the Combinator.
Then, any connections internally would be recognized and automatically connected in all of the same cases the main outputs would be auto-routed. Meaning if only the first four Combinator internal inputs were connected, only the first four would be auto-routed.

Admittedly this does not address your concern directly but it would be handy in many cases.
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

15 Jul 2023

DJMaytag wrote:
15 Jul 2023
huggermugger wrote:
13 May 2023
Unfortunately, a Combinator can only have one Mix Channel of its own, as you know.
One of my biggest gripe about Combinators is that they're automatically linked to a Mix Channel. More often that not, I'm creating signal chain Combinators, which never need a Mix Channel.
Not entirely true. If you just create a Combinator on it’s own, this is true. But if I select two instrument devices and then “combine” them this will not happen.

Or if you’re making FX, if I create an effect in the rack with no routing (shift drag), then combine it, there is no Mix Channel. Bonus - if I then auto-route the FX device you get both input and outputs connected to the Combinator, officially making it an “effects Combinator”. This means is has both inputs and outputs and can be inserted just like any other effects (instead of creating a Mix Channel like it would with no input connected). :)

From there you can build your FX Combinator to suite, it’s just a quick way of getting things all setup from the start.
Selig Audio, LLC

DJMaytag

15 Jul 2023

selig wrote:
15 Jul 2023
Not entirely true. If you just create a Combinator on it’s own, this is true. But if I select two instrument devices and then “combine” them this will not happen.

Or if you’re making FX, if I create an effect in the rack with no routing (shift drag), then combine it, there is no Mix Channel. Bonus - if I then auto-route the FX device you get both input and outputs connected to the Combinator, officially making it an “effects Combinator”. This means is has both inputs and outputs and can be inserted just like any other effects (instead of creating a Mix Channel like it would with no input connected). :)

From there you can build your FX Combinator to suite, it’s just a quick way of getting things all setup from the start.
I have a Combinator that outputs a multiplexed digital signal over an ADAT output to some external hardware that splits that out to various pieces of hardware for D/A conversion, turning any signals generated from or routed into the Combinator into real world CV or audio. Every time I load this into a project, a mix channel is created and audio out of the Combinator is routed to it (I can't even use the Combinator's own audio path, so I have to route the final plugin output directly to the audio interface). I suppose I could create a COmbaintor in the project, and then load the patch file for the Combinator, but that's adding steps.

selig
RE Developer

15 Jul 2023

If you shift-drag it into the rack it will not create anything else, or be routed to anything at all.
Selig Audio, LLC

DJMaytag

15 Jul 2023

selig wrote:
15 Jul 2023
If you shift-drag it into the rack it will not create anything else, or be routed to anything at all.
I was today years old when I learned… :lol:

selig
RE Developer

16 Jul 2023

DJMaytag wrote:
15 Jul 2023
selig wrote:
15 Jul 2023
I was today years old when I learned… :lol:
Should have added this:
"Shift" modifier also works when using the menu or popup menu (via right click) selection - adding shift with either of these works the same as when dragging from the browser.
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information