Ability to save project previews ...

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
avasopht
Competition Winner

04 Feb 2023

Back in the day (when Propellerhead used to host user-made tools), there was a Reason Song Player that acted like a jukebox for .rsn files.

I can think of a few reasons why they might have put an end to supporting tools like this ;) ... besides, our projects are a lot larger nowadays.

Anyways, it would be great if you could save mixdowns as project previews (with the option to save as wave/aif, mp3/ogg or flac). That way when you're scrolling through projects, you can instantly preview them without having to load them into a new window and wait for plugins to load, etc.

jam-s

04 Feb 2023

Having the option to automatically preview render the looped section or whole song on save would be nice. But as I doubt this will be implemented any time soon using File --> Export Loop/Song after a work session is not much of a hassle either.

avasopht
Competition Winner

04 Feb 2023

jam-s wrote:
04 Feb 2023
Having the option to automatically preview render the looped section or whole song on save would be nice. But as I doubt this will be implemented any time soon using File --> Export Loop/Song after a work session is not much of a hassle either.
Well, what I'm suggesting is that when you select File -> Export Loop/Song, the option to save as a project preview instead of a separate file would be an option (in the same way bounce to track is an option).

I bounce all of my songs now, but when it's saved in the project as a preview, it just makes the whole experience that little bit slicker. And it means you don't have to carry around project/export pairs.

jam-s

04 Feb 2023

What use would be a preview that's included in the Reason file? Having an external songname_preview.mp3 file would be much better imho as you could then also listen to it without starting Reason.

avasopht
Competition Winner

04 Feb 2023

jam-s wrote:
04 Feb 2023
What use would be a preview that's included in the Reason file? Having an external songname_preview.mp3 file would be much better imho as you could then also listen to it without starting Reason.
The point is that when you're browsing projects from within Reason, you can instantly preview the project file.

I already do this manually and don't find it better to not have the option of storing song previews in project files.

The MPC has this feature, and I've found it pretty convenient in practice.

It's like many features you'll find in DAWs and other applications. You could just do it manually, but when it's integrated like that, it's a much smoother overall experience. Kontakt also offer patch previews, which makes it much nicer to browse patches as you get to hear what it sounds like before loading.

• Information