MIDI feature suggestions

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
hotmitts
Posts: 2
Joined: 18 Jun 2021

Post 04 May 2022

What would people like to see added to the MIDI functions? I 'd like to see an option in the toolbox for humanise MDI - adding variations in micro-timing.
Also something like the ableton 'extract groove' from audio so you can apply it to MIDI would be interesting.

These may seem like minor request but to me the ability to create MIDI that isn't machine gun and has a groove is really essential.

User avatar
jam-s
Posts: 2014
Joined: 17 Apr 2015
Location: Aachen, Germany

Post 04 May 2022

Extract groove is already there, but the workflow is different than as you have to rex/slice the clip and then use the Regrove mixer iirc.
If you're in Aachen, come and visit us at the Voidspace. ... Pool's closed due to corona.

Quietly
Posts: 1
Joined: 08 May 2022

Post 08 May 2022

Certainly like to see humanise as a midi option. Also like to see midi out as I cannot see why it was introduced to the rack and not to the DAW.

User avatar
nscerri
Posts: 105
Joined: 01 Apr 2015
Location: Malta

Post 27 May 2022

Chord recognition like the one implemented in the A-List Guitarist

User avatar
huggermugger
Posts: 512
Joined: 16 Jul 2021

Post 27 May 2022

There is the Random setting in the F8 quantize dialog. Unfortunately, you can't deactivate quantize in order to use Random, but you can minimize the quantize amount.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
huggermugger
Posts: 512
Joined: 16 Jul 2021

Post 27 May 2022

Quietly wrote:
08 May 2022
Certainly like to see humanise as a midi option. Also like to see midi out as I cannot see why it was introduced to the rack and not to the DAW.
There's a MIDI Out device in the DAW. Always has been, although it was revamped for R11.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
selig
RE Developer
Posts: 10028
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: The NorthWoods, CT, USA

Post 27 May 2022

As far as I’m aware, most if not all DAWs with “humanize” functions are simply randomizing the data. And while it may not seem like it, humans are far from ‘random’!
With advances in AI, there will certainly be better and better humanize functions based on real humans (the ones who can play well, I would assume, not just any humans!). So you would, for example, apply the “John Bonham” filter to your drums to actually ‘humanize’ them. Until then, it’s just random…
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
mimidancer
Posts: 171
Joined: 30 Sep 2021

Post 27 May 2022

selig wrote:
27 May 2022
As far as I’m aware, most if not all DAWs with “humanize” functions are simply randomizing the data. And while it may not seem like it, humans are far from ‘random’!
With advances in AI, there will certainly be better and better humanize functions based on real humans (the ones who can play well, I would assume, not just any humans!). So you would, for example, apply the “John Bonham” filter to your drums to actually ‘humanize’ them. Until then, it’s just random…
In my opinion, if you want a human feel in the sequencer turn off the quantizer.

User avatar
demt
Posts: 1298
Joined: 16 Sep 2016

Post 27 May 2022

The ability to synch to more than 1 controller being obvious in preferences
Reason 12,modular rack nektar gxp 88 keyboard,squarp hermon ,nektar aura ,editerkeys reason keyboard
hear scince reason 2.5

User avatar
selig
RE Developer
Posts: 10028
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: The NorthWoods, CT, USA

Post 27 May 2022

huggermugger wrote:
27 May 2022
There is the Random setting in the F8 quantize dialog. Unfortunately, you can't deactivate quantize in order to use Random, but you can minimize the quantize amount.
I would think the reason to randomize things would be because it sounded boring when quantized. Random playing wouldn’t benefit from further randomization, or am I missing something?
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
huggermugger
Posts: 512
Joined: 16 Jul 2021

Post Yesterday

selig wrote:
27 May 2022
huggermugger wrote:
27 May 2022
There is the Random setting in the F8 quantize dialog. Unfortunately, you can't deactivate quantize in order to use Random, but you can minimize the quantize amount.
I would think the reason to randomize things would be because it sounded boring when quantized. Random playing wouldn’t benefit from further randomization, or am I missing something?
I think my point was just that you can't simply randomize microtimings unless you also apply quantization. This would be an issue in situations such as, for example, an already recorded part that had a mix of quantized or non-quantized timing bases (e.g. a mix of duplets and tuplets) or a part that had a unique groove in need of a little loosening. Just as Velocity has a separate randomize setting, I think timing (also note length) would benefit from a randomize setting not tied to another destructive editing parameter.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests