Auto Punch in/Out

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
mcatalao
Competition Winner

24 Feb 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
24 Feb 2023
guitfnky wrote:
24 Feb 2023
for some people, punching in and out is a better workflow, period. why argue against something so subjective?
I already said I respect that some people want to work that way. I'm not arguing against (auto) punching, it is a working system in its own right. I'm arguing there are alternatives available in the absence of auto-punch.

But I'll leave it at that. This discussion has already started to run in circles.
So you've gone from discussing that punch in is not needed to saying digital comping is an alternative to punch in (wich it isn't, as i stated before...)... You see what you're doing here? You're just argumenting the same in another way, over and over, so it's you creating this ciclic argument.

We don't want comping out, or even take any other functionality from reason's sequencer. At most we want a new completentary functionality. I think its time for you to stop "arranging" new arguments because they simply don't make sense anymore.
If there's anything we agree on is that this discussion is circling and is getting senseless.

Anyway... If "alternatives" were enought in other iterations, we wouldn't have VST3, VST2, Rack Extensions, Midi Out, or even audio in reason because the mindset until reason 4 was that anything reason didn't do could be done with alternatives. Might aswell stick to using Cubase in the first place as an alternative method! I've been on that side before, but i always had the context that an alternative way was a temporary solution until something happens that allows me to work as i want.

Cheers,
MC

mcatalao
Competition Winner

24 Feb 2023

wendylou wrote:
23 Feb 2023

Here ya go, from our own Carly(Poohbear). He first describes how to set up an auto stop, then around 1:40, he shows how the same trick can be used to create a Punch-in and out:

He's got more Tutorials & Techniques on the forum, here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7503909
Wendy,

As I said before, i used this workaround and it works (it is even proof that reason lacks only the automation part of the punch in).
The thing with this workaraound is that it isn't sample accurate (because it depends on something that is external to reason), the Q points change for the same locator position, and it doesn't have a pre-roll. So you end up with 2 works after using this, selecting the comps, and cleaning q points, wich you don't need when you use auto punch in on other DAWs.

But it's not more than a (very clever) workaround, imho!

PS.: And there is another problem with this method too, since reason is not coherent on the recording behavior of midi and audio, when you do this on midi lanes, it doesn't work as intended (e.g. cubase has coherent recording modes for midi and audio, and punch in respects that).
TBH, cubae is 100x more mature than reason, and i'm not using it at the moment just because my controllers are working great with reason and are a pita to configure in cubase even with the new remote configs in Cubase 12.

crimsonwarlock

24 Feb 2023

mcatalao wrote:
24 Feb 2023
So you've gone from discussing that punch in is not needed to saying digital comping is an alternative to punch in (wich it isn't, as i stated before...)... You see what you're doing here? You're just argumenting the same in another way, over and over, so it's you creating this ciclic argument.
I'm just reacting to people who quote previous posts from me. It is how forums work. Most people don't read the whole thread and react only to the most recent post. I did already say I'll leave it, as the discussion was becoming circular.

Now you are calling me out again here, but somehow that is my fault. See what YOU did here.
mcatalao wrote:
24 Feb 2023
We don't want comping out, or even take any other functionality from reason's sequencer...
Where did I say that you (or anyone else) wanted comping out? Again, see what YOU did here.

So, now I'm really done with this topic. I simply stated my opinion on the matter. We can just agree to disagree.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

JohnnyBee 67

10 Nov 2023

I have Reason 12 but I use Cakewalk by Bandlab mostly because Reason lacks Auto punch. Auto Punch is a very important tool for me and I don't want to start a war on this forum for just just asking this question which has happened before. There's no reason for this issue to become a bone of contention here.

I soon will have to make a choice as to whether I'm going to continue with Cakewalk because it won't be free much longer so after they finally announce how much they will be asking for it I will have to choose whether it is worth what they want for it or not. If Reason had AP the choice would be simple. Reason would be my DAW of choice but I will not use it in that purpose without AP.

So I ask again and please don't kill each other over it: Is reason planning to add Auto Punch In/Out anytime soon?

Thanks in advance for staying civilized.

:puf_smile: John B

motuscott

10 Nov 2023

Don't know. We've been asking so long, there must be some sort of hang up to implementing it.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

• Information