Folder tracks, please

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
Ibo Jacob

07 Mar 2022

Feature request:
Foldertracks. Like in, for example, cubase…
This is a feature that I feel is really lacking in Reason.
I mainly use Reason as a multitrack recorder,
so, I record a fully micked drumkit using separate tracks for the individual parts of the kit.
To be able to group my tracks in a folder track, so that instead of 8drumtracks I now have just the one foldertrack.
That, if I would make a cut on a position on the foldertrack, all the tracks in that folder would have been cut there.

It would also clean up the sequencer window, if possible also the mixer window.

I know, people have asked about it before..but is there any update on if this a possible future feature?

Love and peace
Reggae musician/singer/producer www.ibojacob.com publishing via Distrokid
Reason12 - MacPro Catalina - Behringer FCA1616 firewire - Soundcraft LXII - outboard effects
I mainly use Reason as an audio multitracker, 16 out into my analog mixingboard.

BRIGGS

07 Mar 2022

Wut.....Folder tracks? :lol:

Really, what do you think RS is?? a company who follows the times?

Next, you'll be wanting video support, and track freezing!!!
r11s

TheMiles

07 Mar 2022

I second Folders! I want them :D

PhillipOrdonez

07 Mar 2022

Yes please. Sequencer love! Workflow love!

BRIGGS

07 Mar 2022

r11s

djsmex

08 Mar 2022

Yes please folder tracks for better organisation. As for the issue highlighted would audio lanes setup like note lanes be an option? Just throwing ideas out there.
Also just a thought, isn't bounce in place the same thing as track freeze called in other DAWs?
Personally I think RS should stick with audio and improve on that not get distracted on ding video.

jam-s

08 Mar 2022

djsmex wrote:
08 Mar 2022
Also just a thought, isn't bounce in place the same thing as track freeze called in other DAWs?
It's close, but not the same as the devices are not disabled completely after the bounce and still use some CPU and RAM.

djsmex

08 Mar 2022

jam-s wrote:
08 Mar 2022
djsmex wrote:
08 Mar 2022
It's close, but not the same as the devices are not disabled completely after the bounce and still use some CPU and RAM.
So if the freeze feature disables all devices leaving just the new audio in place, can it be unfroze to restore all devices?
If you combine all devices after bounce in place, set to bypass and hide devices, would this not free up cpu? Just a thought, as then you can save it as combi patch for recall although it wouldn't save track data.

orthodox
RE Developer

08 Mar 2022

djsmex wrote:
08 Mar 2022
If you combine all devices after bounce in place, set to bypass and hide devices, would this not free up cpu?
Not completely, but it should greatly reduce the cpu usage, especially for instruments if you mute the midi track.

PhillipOrdonez

08 Mar 2022

djsmex wrote:
08 Mar 2022
jam-s wrote:
08 Mar 2022

So if the freeze feature disables all devices leaving just the new audio in place, can it be unfroze to restore all devices?
Yes, that's how live handles it.

djsmex

08 Mar 2022

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
08 Mar 2022
djsmex wrote:
08 Mar 2022

Yes, that's how live handles it.
What about other DAWs like ProTools, Logic, Cubass, Reaper etc do they also have a freeze type feature or is it live specific?
I'm aware most other DAWs do offer track folders and Reason is lacking there, how track folders are done is another question but backwards compatibility will be a big consideration.

jam-s

08 Mar 2022

According to the DAW-Chart here all of these DAWs seem to have a freeze functionality:

Reaper, Digital Performer, Cubase, Waveform, Studio 1, Pro Tools, Logic, FLStudio, Ableton Live

djsmex

09 Mar 2022

jam-s wrote:
08 Mar 2022
According to the DAW-Chart here all of these DAWs seem to have a freeze functionality:

Reaper, Digital Performer, Cubase, Waveform, Studio 1, Pro Tools, Logic, FLStudio, Ableton Live
many thanks @jam-s, assuming these all act the same as live in disabling the devices inside the freeze track, I wonder if it is more of an issue when using multiple VST's as appose to REs. Not having many VSTs myself, mostly own REs, I've not experienced any real performance issues.
That said, if multiple VSTs do cause performance issues, I understand the need for a freeze/disable track chain feature to work a long side the existing bounce in place.
Perhaps if they add track folders, they can add freeze/disable devices on selected tracks at the same time.

• Information