Parameter Locking upon Patch Changes

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
Tweak

03 Mar 2022

The RE SDK provides a unique advantage over VSTs in the Reason rack - capacity to provide new features consistently across all Rack Extension devices. On the basis of this, I've love to see all automatable parameters have the capability to be locked and unlocked with a simple right click.

Locking a parameter of a device would show a red border around it visually, and keep its value in place when browsing patches, allowing you to do some of the following:

- Maintain a known ADSR curve and settings
- Keep Arp on/off to try out settings across presets
- Keep filter settings across patches
- Keep Wet/Dry values intact between patch browses
- A bunch of other stuff I've yet to think of :)

crimsonwarlock

03 Mar 2022

Tweak wrote:
03 Mar 2022
- A bunch of other stuff I've yet to think of :)
You forgot the most important one: retaining specific midi note mapping.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

Tweak

03 Mar 2022

Ah yes, thanks. And also, “keep Kong output channels set” whilst I remember !

selig
RE Developer

03 Mar 2022

Most devices allow dry/wet to stay the same as you browse patches, such as the RV7000 and The Echo. Not sure I've ever wanted to lock down other parameters when browsing patches as far as what you have mentioned - maybe there are things I haven't considered (obviously this would potentially lead to some unexpected 'happy accidents', and that's always a good thing IMO).
Selig Audio, LLC

joeyluck

03 Mar 2022

The biggest one for me is pitch bend. As a Seaboard player, I need my pitch bend settings to remain the same (+/-24 or 48) so that my note glides make sense.

Another big one for me is polyphony, legato mode, portamento, etc.

I may be looking to audition or replace a lead solo that is set to be mono and have a certain amount of portamento. Being able to lock those would then allow me to freely browse any polyphonic patch and discover them as being great leads.

Another example is the opposite direction. Many leads can become great polyphonic patches.

Also, look at The Legend. It had received an update to add 8-voice polyphony. There are many excellent patches written in the original 4-voice polyphony mode, but I'd like to play them all in 8-voice polyphony. However, each time I browse a new patch, there's the polyphony set to 4. Of course I can go in a re-save each patch with the setting (or a dev can do that as well, offering a new folder in the presets), but it would certainly be more efficient to be able to just lock those parameters.

• Information