Workflow: Freeze/Burn CV Automation to Sequencer

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
Tweak

01 Feb 2022

I use Reason in complex ways, and often find myself in a situation where some automation can be found in the main sequencer, and some CV signals provide modulation. In particular, CV generated via Players provides an issue to me, as often if I write notes to track from Players, their CV signals are turned off when the Player is bypassed, and the modulation is gone. This means I'm presently unable to reach the goal of having all MIDI events represented in the sequencer, without the serious slowdown to workflow when I have to manually recreate the CV modulation coming from Players.

Overall, whilst CV provides amazing flexibility in changing the automation on the fly and in reaction to other devices, sometimes I'm happy with how something sounds, and would like to be able commit it, and make manual edits.

I'd like to be able to easily burn any CV automation directly to the sequencer, similarly to how you can write MIDI notes to track from Players. Ideally I'd have this as a reversible process (unfreeze), and not need to remove or rewire things to allow this to be possible. The aim would be to start using whatever automation style (sequenced or CV) you want, but end up at mix down stage of being able to easily commit everything to the sequencer, so slight manual tweaks and edits could be made.

I want to be able to be creative and carefree doing my music making, not worrying about how or where my automation or MIDI comes from, knowing that once I'm relatively happy with what I've created, I could move to the sequencer and complete my arrangement knowing everything was there.

• Information