Other DAW Rack Plugin

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
Connoisseur1984

26 Jan 2022

So I’m suggesting Reason Studios partnerships with other DAW companies to make rack plugins containing their native software instruments and effects. It would ultimately replace Rewire software that’s no longer supported. Alternatively there could be a push for the companies to make rack extensions for Reason users. It would open the door for DAW 2.0. It should come with the suite version of the individual software. A lite version should be available to purchase as well. Who’s on board?

Aquila

09 Feb 2022

I'm not quite sure what you mean. Are you suggesting having other DAWs native devices available in Reason's rack?

The only way that would be possible is if a) the other DAW companies agree to such a thing, b) the Rack Extension SDK is sufficient for what they need and c) Reason Studios started giving a f**k about their Rack Extension format and store again

Loque

09 Feb 2022

There wont be any "Suite" version of Reason anymore, this was mentioned by them. Only Reason and Reason+.

I am not much interested in other DAW plugins.
Other DAW users can use Reason as a VST and have all the "Reason DAW" effects and synths and stuff.
Reason12, Win10

crimsonwarlock

09 Feb 2022

Several DAW developers make their plugins available outside their own DAW. Reaper's core FX suite is available (for free) as VST plugins, If you install Cakewalk you can load their plugins into other DAWs as well and the Trackion gang develop their plugins basically as VST and sell them separately as well. It won't surprise me if most DAW companies do something like this. Reason Studios, making the rack stuff available for other DAWs, are actually late to that party.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

moneykube

09 Feb 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
09 Feb 2022
Several DAW developers make their plugins available outside their own DAW. Reaper's core FX suite is available (for free) as VST plugins, If you install Cakewalk you can load their plugins into other DAWs as well and the Trackion gang develop their plugins basically as VST and sell them separately as well. It won't surprise me if most DAW companies do something like this. Reason Studios, making the rack stuff available for other DAWs, are actually late to that party.
how to get these plugins?
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

DaveyG

09 Feb 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
09 Feb 2022
And on the flip side Image-Line have just stopped offering the FL Studio instruments as separate VSTs. I think it was costing them more time and money to maintain them than they were making from them. I guess it could also be a marketing decision. A couple of their synths truly are excellent so they might tempt people to buy into FL Studio to get them if they cannot get them as VST, and you can run the whole FL Studio software as a VST in other DAWs.

RS used to sell Europa as a VST then stopped. I suspect it did not sell enough to warrant the effort. It was certainly priced optimistically!

crimsonwarlock

10 Feb 2022

moneykube wrote:
09 Feb 2022
crimsonwarlock wrote:
09 Feb 2022
The Reaper plugins are here: https://www.reaper.fm/reaplugs/

For the Cakewalk plugins, you have to install Cakewalk by BandLab (it's free).

Tracktion's FX (commercial): https://www.tracktion.com/products/daw- ... collection
They also have many instruments available commercially and some free stuff as well.
DaveyG wrote:
09 Feb 2022
And on the flip side Image-Line have just stopped offering the FL Studio instruments as separate VSTs. I think it was costing them more time and money to maintain them than they were making from them. I guess it could also be a marketing decision. A couple of their synths truly are excellent so they might tempt people to buy into FL Studio to get them if they cannot get them as VST, and you can run the whole FL Studio software as a VST in other DAWs.
I guess it's commercially more interesting to sell a complete DAW that can be used as a VST, than individual VST plugins.

https://www.tracktion.com/products/daw- ... collection
RS used to sell Europa as a VST, then stopped. I suspect it did not sell enough to warrant the effort. It was certainly priced optimistically!
[/quote]

I think they canceled the individual VST when they decided to go in the direction of the Rack VST. Seems basically the same as what Image-Line went for.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

visheshl

10 Feb 2022

I don't understand this question.
RRP is now a vst plugin.
Other DAW companies have thier own plugins. Why would they make their own plugins available as reason Rack extensions, and what would it accomplish ?
If you want to use the other DAWs midi plugins,you can route midi from their plugins into an instance of RRP instruments.
If you want to use RRP players to Play other VST instruments...you can already do that.
So what would having the other DAWs plugins inside reason Rack accomplish ?

Also like someone else pointed out, other DAW companies must be willing to have a tie up with reason studios for this to work.
Secondly, Reason's SDK must be capable for recreation of other companies proprietary plugin formats.

orthodox
RE Developer

10 Feb 2022

Connoisseur1984 wrote:
26 Jan 2022
So I’m suggesting Reason Studios partnerships with other DAW companies to make rack plugins containing their native software instruments and effects. It would ultimately replace Rewire software that’s no longer supported. Alternatively there could be a push for the companies to make rack extensions for Reason users. It would open the door for DAW 2.0. It should come with the suite version of the individual software. A lite version should be available to purchase as well. Who’s on board?
Other DAW companies don't give a hoot about Reason and Rack Extensions. If they started making REs, that would rather benefit Reason Studios, but not them as they wouldn't earn anything, they are too big compared to RS. Plus, the Rack Extension SDK is too restrictive, so porting existing plugins would mean rewriting those from scratch.

moneykube

11 Feb 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
10 Feb 2022
moneykube wrote:
09 Feb 2022

The Reaper plugins are here: https://www.reaper.fm/reaplugs/

For the Cakewalk plugins, you have to install Cakewalk by BandLab (it's free).

Tracktion's FX (commercial): https://www.tracktion.com/products/daw- ... collection
They also have many instruments available commercially and some free stuff as well.
DaveyG wrote:
09 Feb 2022
I guess it's commercially more interesting to sell a complete DAW that can be used as a VST, than individual VST plugins.

https://www.tracktion.com/products/daw- ... collection
RS used to sell Europa as a VST, then stopped. I suspect it did not sell enough to warrant the effort. It was certainly priced optimistically!
I think they canceled the individual VST when they decided to go in the direction of the Rack VST. Seems basically the same as what Image-Line went for.
[/quote]
thanks will check this out :thumbs_up: ... just went down the analogue obsession rabbit hole ... just wow
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

• Information