Combinator 2 CV Outputs

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
killaname
Posts: 4
Joined: 28 Nov 2017

Post 10 Jan 2022

Some VST can produce CV signals (like VCV rack and other modular software), and Combinator really looked outdated with only CV Inputs, but not CV outputs.
This is a big fault when we have on hands perfect solutions with VSTs, but can’t use them as CV outputs

So currently C2 is more about instruments and FXs, but not CV utility
Reason Russian Community:
https://reasondaw.space

User avatar
deeplink
Posts: 638
Joined: 08 Jul 2020
Location: Dubai / Cape Town

Post 10 Jan 2022

killaname wrote:
10 Jan 2022
Some VST can produce CV signals (like VCV rack and other modular software), and Combinator really looked outdated with only CV Inputs, but not CV outputs.
This is a big fault when we have on hands perfect solutions with VSTs, but can’t use them as CV outputs

So currently C2 is more about instruments and FXs, but not CV utility
My thoughts exactly! Hence why I created a Combinator CV Utility as a proof-of-concept, where the Audio Outs are used to carry CV signals. It's strange that RS hasn't made a CV utility device since Pulsar (2012). Adding CV In and Out to the Combinator can really let us make, recall and share our own advanced CV modifiers etc.
Get Combinators, ReFills and RS SoundPacks at the Shared GoogleDrive: [deeplink] Open RS-Project

User avatar
challism
Moderator
Posts: 3429
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Fanboy Shill

Post 11 Jan 2022

I agree it is a huge missed opportunity that RS didn't put dedicated CV outs on Combi2 (and really, they only added 4 additional CV inputs, which really misses the mark). While it would be nice to have built in CV outputs, I think CV inputs are way more important than CV outputs because CV inputs are what we use to control devices and program the Combi.

Unless I'm not understanding the point being made, CV output is possible just by including a Spider CV device (or any device with CV in/out capabilities) and routing the desired CV output signal to the Spider. Then you can include wiring instructions on an instance of Remark or TMA. I usually drag such Spiders & instructions to the top of the Combi for easy view/access upon loading. This isn't an ideal method, but it's all we have and it works, unless I'm missing the point being made. Again, I agree that they should have built some CV outs into the Combi.. because why not. But I don't feel that the missing CV outs should be stopping us form building CV tools and sharing them as Combi patches, if we just use a Spider in lieu of the dedicated CV outputs. ~And just to beat a dead horse.... why didn't RS give us at least 16 CV inputs on Combi2?

When I build a Combi that has CV outputs, it looks like this. I like to use Pongasoft CVA-7 because it has 5 outputs (4 of which can be altered to bipolar, unipolar, inverse). I use similar instructions when CV input is required upon loading of a Combi.
Capture.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.
Image
ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

User avatar
jam-s
Posts: 1828
Joined: 17 Apr 2015
Location: Aachen, Germany

Post 11 Jan 2022

challism wrote:
11 Jan 2022
I agree it is a huge missed opportunity that RS didn't put dedicated CV outs on Combi2 (and really, they only added 4 additional CV inputs, which really misses the mark). While it would be nice to have built in CV outputs, I think CV inputs are way more important than CV outputs because CV inputs are what we use to control devices and program the Combi.

Unless I'm not understanding the point being made, CV output is possible just by including a Spider CV device (or any device with CV in/out capabilities) and routing the desired CV output signal to the Spider. Then you can include wiring instructions on an instance of Remark or TMA. I usually drag such Spiders & instructions to the top of the Combi for easy view/access upon loading. This isn't an ideal method, but it's all we have and it works, unless I'm missing the point being made. Again, I agree that they should have built some CV outs into the Combi.. because why not. But I don't feel that the missing CV outs should be stopping us form building CV tools and sharing them as Combi patches, if we just use a Spider in lieu of the dedicated CV outputs.
I agree with the missed opportunity on dedicated CV in/outs and want to bring another free RE (back) into focus as it was designed for exactly this task of organising the CV connections in a combinator patch:
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... interface/
If you're in Aachen, come and visit us at the Voidspace. ... Pool's closed due to corona.

User avatar
deeplink
Posts: 638
Joined: 08 Jul 2020
Location: Dubai / Cape Town

Post 11 Jan 2022

jam-s wrote:
11 Jan 2022
challism wrote:
11 Jan 2022
I agree it is a huge missed opportunity that RS didn't put dedicated CV outs on Combi2 (and really, they only added 4 additional CV inputs, which really misses the mark). While it would be nice to have built in CV outputs, I think CV inputs are way more important than CV outputs because CV inputs are what we use to control devices and program the Combi.

Unless I'm not understanding the point being made, CV output is possible just by including a Spider CV device (or any device with CV in/out capabilities) and routing the desired CV output signal to the Spider. Then you can include wiring instructions on an instance of Remark or TMA. I usually drag such Spiders & instructions to the top of the Combi for easy view/access upon loading. This isn't an ideal method, but it's all we have and it works, unless I'm missing the point being made. Again, I agree that they should have built some CV outs into the Combi.. because why not. But I don't feel that the missing CV outs should be stopping us form building CV tools and sharing them as Combi patches, if we just use a Spider in lieu of the dedicated CV outputs.
I agree with the missed opportunity on dedicated CV in/outs and want to bring another free RE (back) into focus as it was designed for exactly this task of organising the CV connections in a combinator patch:
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... interface/
In my view, its simply the case of wanting to build and skin a 'single' device - capable of doing things some RE's do, being able to save and recall it - without the need to open up the combinator and perform external routing.
Get Combinators, ReFills and RS SoundPacks at the Shared GoogleDrive: [deeplink] Open RS-Project

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests