An update to CV Tools

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
User avatar
deeplink
Posts: 638
Joined: 08 Jul 2020
Location: Dubai / Cape Town

Post 05 Jan 2022

Hi RT

One of the longest standing key features of Reason is CV, and one of the main reasons to 'flip the rack around'. We all know that CV is a great way to add subtle grooves and movements to any parameter very easily, or all out creative mayhem that you couldn't possibly draw by hand via automation. More over, its a great way to get your devices to 'talk' to each other in interesting ways.

So why then, has there not been an update to CV capabilities since 2012 (i.e Pulsar)?

(1) When I am manipulating and using CV, I often have to resort to using Thor - even for simple tasks. Need CV from audio pitch? Use Neptune. Need to quantize CV? Use Complex-1? Convert bi-polar to uni-polar? Use Thor. Need a Step Sequencer? Use Thor. Need to Automate CV amount? Use Thor..... I think you are catching my drift here. Using these other instruments feels like a clunky work-around.

(2) There are some great and highly useful (and free) CV utilities in the Reason Store. However, to me, this just serves to highlight that RS is lacking in this area. Installing such third party makes RS feel like a less complete package.

I propose the following;
- Introduce more CV Toolbox devices (patchable as well!) , or simply one device that serves as a swiss army knife which covers all your CV needs
- Copy the combinator idea and make a CombiCV focused utility device, or simply add CV Ins and Outs (routed through the internal devices) to the top of the back panel of the existing combinator - so that we can make our own CV tools and movements as well as save, share and drop them in the Rack with ease.

I am hopeful that RS can re-address CV within their environment and make using CV feel less clicky and clunky and more like a fun, fluid sound design experience
Last edited by deeplink on 06 Jan 2022, edited 1 time in total.
Get Combinators, ReFills and RS SoundPacks at the Shared GoogleDrive: [deeplink] Open RS-Project

Bes
Posts: 677
Joined: 22 Feb 2017

Post 06 Jan 2022

rack extensions are good tho. get kron, get equation junior math module & DVC-1, get 4 phase LFO, morpher cv utility and cv origami. reason studios is never going to catch up on how good those RE's are let RS work on making the combinator more functional or something

User avatar
crimsonwarlock
Posts: 159
Joined: 06 Nov 2021
Location: Close to the Edge

Post 06 Jan 2022

deeplink wrote:
05 Jan 2022
So why then, has there not been an update to CV capabilities since 2012 (i.e Pulsar)?
There are a lot of CV-tools available in the shop for free, so I don't see the problem. I also like the fact that the current situation (with third party REs) gives me choices.
Bes wrote:
06 Jan 2022
reason studios is never going to catch up on how good those RE's are....
Not only that, but RS has already made several additions as a RE, so there would be little difference with existing REs. And if RS would do all these things by themselves, they would surely alienate a serious part of the RE devs community and that would be detrimental in more than one way. I bet that's one of the reasons they won't go that route.

User avatar
NMHindman
Posts: 43
Joined: 14 Oct 2021

Post 06 Jan 2022

Reason prides itself (rightly so) on its devices always having "an extra knob to twist". But as a result, it doesn't have basic devices to do basic tasks, like you list above. How many of us use Thor's filters, via the cables and mod-matrix? Reason has awesome filters throughout; why not a stand-alone filter device with all these available? -without any 'extra knob'? -perhaps like the M-class devices.

This is not a complaint, and indeed the workarounds are not so terrible. But it also seems like the pertinent devices would be a snap for RS to devise as they just need to plop existing code into simple 'utility' interfaces.

User avatar
deeplink
Posts: 638
Joined: 08 Jul 2020
Location: Dubai / Cape Town

Post 06 Jan 2022

NMHindman wrote:
06 Jan 2022
Reason prides itself (rightly so) on its devices always having "an extra knob to twist". But as a result, it doesn't have basic devices to do basic tasks, like you list above. How many of us use Thor's filters, via the cables and mod-matrix? Reason has awesome filters throughout; why not a stand-alone filter device with all these available? -without any 'extra knob'? -perhaps like the M-class devices.

This is not a complaint, and indeed the workarounds are not so terrible. But it also seems like the pertinent devices would be a snap for RS to devise as they just need to plop existing code into simple 'utility' interfaces.
I think this is where the new Combinator comes in - because accessing those filters and performing the work-arounds is now a once-off occurrence. And you can neatly package and recall your creation/work-around in a small or large device, with as many or as little bells and whistles that you choose.

Hence why I think a stand-alone Combinator just for CV, or at least some CV in and Outs on the existing Combinator (for ease of having it behave like a utility device), could be very useful.
Get Combinators, ReFills and RS SoundPacks at the Shared GoogleDrive: [deeplink] Open RS-Project

Bes
Posts: 677
Joined: 22 Feb 2017

Post 06 Jan 2022

deeplink wrote:
06 Jan 2022
a stand-alone Combinator just for CV, or at least some CV in and Outs on the existing Combinator (for ease of having it behave like a utility device), could be very useful.
this would be great :thumbs_up:

User avatar
Chizmata
Posts: 636
Joined: 21 Dec 2015

Post 06 Jan 2022

i totally second the idea of a swiss CV knife

User avatar
selig
RE Developer
Posts: 9766
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: The NorthWoods, CT, USA

Post 06 Jan 2022

I’ve been asking for dedicated and label-able CV I/O on the back of Combinators forever (not to mention some audio pass through jacks for things like side-chain inputs or multiple outputs etc). So a big PLUS ONE to that suggestion!
Selig Audio, LLC

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests