The Further Combinator Suggestions

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
Heigen5

01 Sep 2021

As a beta-tester of the new combi, we had lots of people suggesting lots of stuff for the further combi. So lets have the suggestions coming!
You can remove this Thread to a Feature Suggestions when the dust has landed a bit.

My suggestions are the following:

1) Even bigger knobs than xxl.

2) XY-pad and stepped knobs.

3) Visual mini-screen to show LFO-curves or other info. As example, in the stepped knob's case - I'd like every step to show a different pic in that screen. Handy to show LFO-curves as example. We should be able to upload pics for that screen. Also hoovering on the top of the knobs, buttons and faders, could show some info in the screen too.

4) A bank of db-meters, blinking lights or even some bling-bling kinda other visual lights.

5) Tabs switcher to show secondary panels, so we can build combi2s to have some of the knobs on the different tabs.

6) 10 buttons for the combi2 that store sub-patches i.e. tweak and take a 'snapshot' of the situation that you want to store. Also, loading a new sub-patch wouldn't newlie load all the devices. (But just change the values of the devices that already are THERE).

And a TIP for all of us regarding making new combinators: Build your combi without a backdrop by first, then take a screenshot of it, then crop out the combi - and resize it to the same size as your graphics are in the Photoshop and you have a way more easy way to create a skin for your combi2 patches.

Loque

01 Sep 2021

I like them all. The moar the betta!

Why not have a audio meter a la oscilloscope? For what use? Nothing, it just looks good!

In the next step, we can have addins for the C2.

And ofc moar different knobs, sliders and stuff.
Reason12, Win10

Jagwah

01 Sep 2021

64 CV ins because:

helmutson

01 Sep 2021

Comb2 in the RRP under Live doesn't let me map controls with right click ... is this intended ?

Loque

01 Sep 2021

Jagwah wrote:
01 Sep 2021
64 CV ins because:

I am not sure, why there were not flexible, like the front controls...

Just imagine you could also design the backside with audio inputs, manage the routings and as much as CV as you like?
Reason12, Win10

Jagwah

01 Sep 2021

Loque wrote:
01 Sep 2021
Just imagine you could also design the backside with audio inputs, manage the routings and as much as CV as you like?
Yes that would be very cool!

Loque

01 Sep 2021

I would appreciate a few basic backgrounds or general templates. But i think it wont take too long until we have some repositories with a lot of templates
Reason12, Win10

nscerri

01 Sep 2021

Hey guys,

I had a look at the combinator and I must say that this is a huge change, and I was also surprised to see a built in mixer as part of the combinator.

It would be great if the built-in mixer also has a volume knob and pan (L/R) per channel.

The rest is just wow.

Cheers

Noel

Loque

01 Sep 2021

nscerri wrote:
01 Sep 2021
Hey guys,

I had a look at the combinator and I must say that this is a huge change, and I was also surprised to see a built in mixer as part of the combinator.

It would be great if the built-in mixer also has a volume knob and pan (L/R) per channel.

The rest is just wow.

Cheers

Noel
I think the simple version is more or less meant for the simple tasks and maybe targeted more to the RRP. It wasnt possible to simple Drag&Drop instruments into a Combinator and listen to the mixed result, instead you just heard one synth/instrument. Now you hear them all.

Ofc you can also add more controls to the mixer, but where do you want to stop? Volume? Panning? Type of Panning? Compressors? EQs?

At the moment you want more, you should add a dedicated mixer or add effects that do the task for you. And now, with Combinator 2, you can have mixer area on the front panel mixing all your stuff. I dont think it would take long until we have template containing a Mixer 14:4 and this thing is mapped into the front of the Combinator 2 ;)
Reason12, Win10

nscerri

01 Sep 2021

Loque wrote:
01 Sep 2021
nscerri wrote:
01 Sep 2021
Hey guys,

The rest is just wow.

Cheers

Noel
I think the simple version is more or less meant for the simple tasks and maybe targeted more to the RRP. It wasnt possible to simple Drag&Drop instruments into a Combinator and listen to the mixed result, instead you just heard one synth/instrument. Now you hear them all.

Ofc you can also add more controls to the mixer, but where do you want to stop? Volume? Panning? Type of Panning? Compressors? EQs?

At the moment you want more, you should add a dedicated mixer or add effects that do the task for you. And now, with Combinator 2, you can have mixer area on the front panel mixing all your stuff. I dont think it would take long until we have template containing a Mixer 14:4 and this thing is mapped into the front of the Combinator 2 ;)
Hey Loque,

Yes you can always add a tone more of features, and all I have asked for here is the bare minimum, type of controls which I am sure that will be appreciated by the majority of the community.

Noel

RoryM0

01 Sep 2021

Loque wrote:
01 Sep 2021
nscerri wrote:
01 Sep 2021
Hey guys,

The rest is just wow.

Cheers

Noel

Built in C2 mixer needs mute/solo on each channel imo.

Loque

01 Sep 2021

RoryM0 wrote:
01 Sep 2021
Loque wrote:
01 Sep 2021

Here we go... ;)
nscerri wrote:
01 Sep 2021
Reason12, Win10

nscerri

01 Sep 2021

Loque wrote:
01 Sep 2021
RoryM0 wrote:
01 Sep 2021

Here we go... ;)
nscerri wrote:
01 Sep 2021
Why not? It's a good suggestion and considered as a basic feature. No one is asking for AUX's, fx. So yes I agree.

nemesjs

01 Sep 2021

Also as beta tester, as I said on the beta forum, I already feel the number of buttons and rotaries should be at least double of what's available in this first version of the new combinator (now there's max 32 for each kind). I think 64 of each kind should be enough to cover the majority of possible uses.

Here's an example of 64+ buttons possible use Launchpad mini Mk3 - had to resort to 2 Combis to map them all.... not pretty...

- In edit mode, when selecting a group of buttons or of rotaries, I was expecting to be able to edit all the appearance parameters of those buttons as a group but instead no options are available, except if one selects each one of them one by one, which is tedious.

- As mentioned by others, an horizontal slider/fader would be nice (orientation option)

- An (alpha?)numerical display, resizable, able to multiline and with several graphical options (digital, retro, leds, etc) that could show values from devices via CV would be awesome!

- A gauge with select-able limits, resizable, several graphical options (modern, retro, vu meter, etc)

- Address a way for not being necessary to resort to loopMidi to control/animate buttons/knobs/other future elements like displays or gauges/etc added in a Combinator from elements within the combinator. Example: if one rotates a knob in a Re inside the combinator that is mapped to a rotary knob (panel elements) of that combinator, that element wont show any movement. But, if you map that same panel element (knob) on the combinator to a hardware controller, when you rotate the knob on the controller it will automatically rotate the knob on the combinator!

- Allow the next patch/previous patch buttons of any Rack Extension to be map-able to Combinator buttons - those were always map-able to external controllers but strangely not to buttons in the Combinator!

- Consider the possibility of having an option on any Combinator button to be a trigger button for sending either trigger or gate signals instead of only acting as on/off state buttons. Something kind of like the trigger green buttons used in the Trigater Rack Extension

- When one has added all 64 controls (Panel Elements) to a Combinator, all of them without Labels because we want to use a background that already has Labels on it or we don't want to show labels at all, its hard and not clear how to change the Names (identifiers) on each one of them, since Labels and Names seem to be the same data field. To do it, one has to switch ON the Show Label option +click on the label below the control (depending on sizes and screen resolution/zoom having to use window scroll also) + change the name + switch back to OFF the Show Label option.... FOR EACH ONE OF THE 64 CONTROLS!!! OOFF! Too much work!!!...
For this I propose a simple and obvious way:

After selecting a Panel Element, clicking the Name field makes the textbox for the Label appear just below it and lets the user enter a new text! Easy! (on a further note perhaps the Label text and the Name (identifier) of a Panel Element should be 2 distinct data fields but that's not so important)
Last edited by nemesjs on 01 Sep 2021, edited 3 times in total.

selig
RE Developer

01 Sep 2021

nscerri wrote:
01 Sep 2021
Loque wrote:
01 Sep 2021

Here we go... ;)
Why not? It's a good suggestion and considered as a basic feature. No one is asking for AUX's, fx. So yes I agree.
I think he may mean that the subject was WELL discussed during beta, so "here we go AGAIN" may be more accurate if I'm understanding Loque's point!

YES, the mixer needs mute/solo like any good summing mixer, probably level too so you can balance your multi-layer patches in one obvious place. But for now, we're stuck with the Line Mixer and 14:2 mixers for this job.
Selig Audio, LLC

jam-s

01 Sep 2021

I'd really like to have an additional patch bay for more audio and CV IO. So you could for example have a side-chain input signal connected that would stay connected when switching combis.

If this patch bay was fully configurable it would be the best, but for starters 4 additional audio ins and 16 additional audio outs (for individual drum routing) would be a good start. Add to this 32 cv in and out connections and the option to also use those in the programmer and the combi V2.1 would be a real beast.

Exowildebeest

01 Sep 2021

A "text sticker" or "text display" widget would be very useful for info and decoration. Currently the only workaround is to use a dummy control. Or use a custom backdrop. But I think the default coloured backdrops are glorious and I want to put stickers on those ;)

stratatonic

01 Sep 2021

X/Y Pads
Momentary Buttons
Last edited by stratatonic on 01 Sep 2021, edited 1 time in total.

zoidkirb

01 Sep 2021

Instead of a built in mixer with extra features, I'd prefer to be able to drop in a line mixer and have auto-route actually be useful for once.

Loque

01 Sep 2021

zoidkirb wrote:
01 Sep 2021
Instead of a built in mixer with extra features, I'd prefer to be able to drop in a line mixer and have auto-route actually be useful for once.
Throw in a mixer and instrumens below it.
They get auto routed.
Just the mixer itself not.
Reason12, Win10

zoidkirb

01 Sep 2021

Loque wrote:
01 Sep 2021
zoidkirb wrote:
01 Sep 2021
They get auto routed.
Yes it kinda works.
What I'd like is for a halfway completed project where I'm using the built in mixer but later decide I need a line mixer instead. The re-routing is tedious.
It'd be nice if the auto routing could help out there.

Loque

01 Sep 2021

zoidkirb wrote:
01 Sep 2021
Loque wrote:
01 Sep 2021

They get auto routed.
Yes it kinda works.
What I'd like is for a halfway completed project where I'm using the built in mixer but later decide I need a line mixer instead. The re-routing is tedious.
I don't trust and use the auto routing at all. It creates a lot of sh!t if you have special routings in between.

Auto routing never could understand/imagine what the final result should be.
Reason12, Win10

zoidkirb

01 Sep 2021

Loque wrote:
01 Sep 2021
zoidkirb wrote:
01 Sep 2021

Yes it kinda works.
I don't trust and use the auto routing at all. It creates a lot of sh!t if you have special routings in between.

Auto routing never could understand/imagine what the final result should be.
Well yes I agree auto routing is often wrong too.
But I don't see what's so hard. All that needs to happen automatically is move input 1 from combinator to line mixer. Input 2 from combinator to line mixer etc etc.
This isn't special routing, just very standard stuff.

nscerri

02 Sep 2021

selig wrote:
01 Sep 2021
nscerri wrote:
01 Sep 2021

I think he may mean that the subject was WELL discussed during beta, so "here we go AGAIN" may be more accurate if I'm understanding Loque's point!

YES, the mixer needs mute/solo like any good summing mixer, probably level too so you can balance your multi-layer patches in one obvious place. But for now, we're stuck with the Line Mixer and 14:2 mixers for this job.
It's good to know that you agree as well, I mean, everytime I use the combinator the first device I add in 90% of cases is a mixer, the other 10% is another device but then I realise I needed to add mixer afterwards :).

Noel

Reminiscence

02 Sep 2021

rotary controls for rotary controls

• Information