Can we get a hotkey to bypass whatever device is in focus?

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
deigm
Posts: 37
Joined: 10 Oct 2018

Post 04 Dec 2020

Those bypass switches are a pain to work with. I just want to hit CTRL+B (or whatever) and have that toggle bypass on the device in focus. Or an option in the 'additional remote mapping' list so i can assign a button to this on a midi controller, without having to remap it every time I want to level match something.

That is all.

idliketoremainanon
Posts: 6
Joined: 31 Aug 2019

Post 04 Dec 2020

Oh yeah you mean the tiny switches in the effects? Yeah totally backing this

deigm
Posts: 37
Joined: 10 Oct 2018

Post 08 Dec 2020

I'm a little surprised this didn't get more attention. Do others not find themselves wrestling with those switches? I'd love to hear of any work arounds people use for this. Is there any way to toggle those bypass switches on or off besides manually with the mouse?

deeplink
Posts: 145
Joined: 08 Jul 2020
Location: Dubai

Post 08 Dec 2020

Second for the change to bypass switches. Click and drag a tiny parameter is hurting my wrist..

User avatar
miscend
Posts: 1692
Joined: 09 Feb 2015

Post 08 Dec 2020

+100

rmtcvolte
Posts: 71
Joined: 15 Nov 2018

Post 10 Dec 2020

deigm wrote:
08 Dec 2020
I'm a little surprised this didn't get more attention. Do others not find themselves wrestling with those switches? I'd love to hear of any work arounds people use for this. Is there any way to toggle those bypass switches on or off besides manually with the mouse?
- the "enabled" switch is a "per device" button, mapable in the *.remotemap for your midi-controler, cons: you have to hit the mapped button 3 times to switch through all options (on, off, bypass)
- if you are using the fx as an insert in a channel, you can use the "Bypass FX" button, maped to a controler, cons: always all stacked FX´s will be bypassed
- you can work around this, by programm one of the channel-buttons to switch the "enabled" - button on a singel FX-device, with the option to switch from "on" to "bypass" only, cons: only 4 buttons available, time to program it, only when used as insert-FX; pro: very handy when used with automation

not to mentioned that all of this only works when a sequencer-track for the device exists.

deigm
Posts: 37
Joined: 10 Oct 2018

Post 11 Dec 2020

Thank you for this!
I'm going to play around with these options and see which I find least objectionable.
rmtcvolte wrote:
10 Dec 2020
- the "enabled" switch is a "per device" button, mapable in the *.remotemap for your midi-controler, cons: you have to hit the mapped button 3 times to switch through all options (on, off, bypass)
When you say 'per device' does that mean the .remotemap would need an edit for each and every device? Having to toggle passed 'off' is a bummer as it makes A/B'ing something harder, but its still a huge improvement compared to using a mouse.. unless I need to make a comprehensive remotemap to achive it. yikes.

Time to dive deep and see what happens!

rmtcvolte
Posts: 71
Joined: 15 Nov 2018

Post 11 Dec 2020

deigm wrote:
11 Dec 2020

When you say 'per device' does that mean the .remotemap would need an edit for each and every device? Having to toggle passed 'off' is a bummer as it makes A/B'ing something harder, but its still a huge improvement compared to using a mouse.. unless I need to make a comprehensive remotemap to achive it. yikes.

Time to dive deep and see what happens!
As always, it depends... what kind of controler you have and in which way you connect it to reason.

If you are using reason remote and the vendor of your controler did not implement it in the remotemap, you can do it by yourself - for each and every rack device, if "enable" is available (use "File -> Export Device Remote Info" or "Options -> Remote Override Edit Mode" to check this).
You can try "right click" on the enabled button and use "Edit Remote Override Mapping", map the switch to an encoder and you can switch it in both directions, off>on>bypass<on>bypass<on<off - you get the idea.

By using the Advanced Midi connection, you can program a button with Midi CC #9 (see Reason Midi Implementation Chart) on your controler to send only "1"=on, when pressed, or "2"=bypass if not.

Happy diving!

deigm
Posts: 37
Joined: 10 Oct 2018

Post 12 Dec 2020

rmtcvolte wrote:
11 Dec 2020
deigm wrote:
11 Dec 2020

When you say 'per device' does that mean the .remotemap would need an edit for each and every device? Having to toggle passed 'off' is a bummer as it makes A/B'ing something harder, but its still a huge improvement compared to using a mouse.. unless I need to make a comprehensive remotemap to achive it. yikes.

Time to dive deep and see what happens!
As always, it depends... what kind of controler you have and in which way you connect it to reason.

If you are using reason remote and the vendor of your controler did not implement it in the remotemap, you can do it by yourself - for each and every rack device, if "enable" is available (use "File -> Export Device Remote Info" or "Options -> Remote Override Edit Mode" to check this).
You can try "right click" on the enabled button and use "Edit Remote Override Mapping", map the switch to an encoder and you can switch it in both directions, off>on>bypass<on>bypass<on<off - you get the idea.

By using the Advanced Midi connection, you can program a button with Midi CC #9 (see Reason Midi Implementation Chart) on your controler to send only "1"=on, when pressed, or "2"=bypass if not.

Happy diving!
This information is gold to me. Thank you.
Looks like I'm going to need to spend a day becoming more familiar with this side of reason. I'll pester you with more questions as they arise if you don't mind! :D

I still think a hotkey is needed for this. When I do find a free day I'd rather spend it making music than experimenting with midi implementation and remote maps just to chase hope of a solution. But so it goes.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests