Track Folders and Rack

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
Creativemind

08 May 2020

Hi All!

If they added track folders to Reason, how would people here envisage this affecting the rack , or wouldn't it?

Would the same folders appear in the rack with the same adjustments etc

Thanks!
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Loque

08 May 2020

Maybe its time to rethink some concepts in general.
Reason12, Win10

jam-s

08 May 2020

They could implement an option to have track folders correspond to rack cabinets (aka the columns in the rack). Now if you fold a track folder that rack column would also fold vertically (just like rack devices can fold horizontally).

Philup

08 May 2020

1. Track folders in the sequencer.
2. "Folding" Rack cabinets.
3. Group/fold/hide channels in the mixer
4. The ability to select a channel strip in the mixer and choose an option that would make visible only devices within that mix channels signal chain including effects sends etc. or slightly fade-out other devices not in the signal chain.

Some of the above elements could work in tandem, others may work better as independent grouping options that don't effect the other.

Creativemind

09 May 2020

Philup wrote:
08 May 2020
1. Track folders in the sequencer.
2. "Folding" Rack cabinets.
3. Group/fold/hide channels in the mixer
4. The ability to select a channel strip in the mixer and choose an option that would make visible only devices within that mix channels signal chain including effects sends etc. or slightly fade-out other devices not in the signal chain.

Some of the above elements could work in tandem, others may work better as independent grouping options that don't effect the other.
The reason I started this thread is, I used track folders in Reaper for the first time yesterday. As far as I can tell so far, the track folders in the sequencer directly relate to the subgroup in the mixer? (track folders are basically the same subgroup but displayed as a folder on the tracks). Watching a video on how they work, amazing. You can have folders within folders and you can collapse the folders or completely hide them so you can have 3 ways of viewing them, fully expanded, collapsed (which looks the same as when you collapse a track on Reason) or hidden. On this video, the guy had about 40 tracks suddenly condensed down to 4. 1 was a drum folder, 1 a vocal folder, 1 a guitar folder and 1 a bass folder. How neat and organised.

In Reason, the rack cabinet sounds a great idea. Not sure what you mean by slightly fade out devices not in the signal chain though?

buddard
RE Developer

09 May 2020

The killer feature I'm looking for with folder tracks is to be able to open them in Comp Edit (and Slice Edit!), which would make it possible to edit multi channel drum takes!

I can't think of any obvious way to reflect them in the mixer or rack, since you can have any rack layout or bus routing that you want in Reason -- But perhaps as an optional preference to have them organized automatically?

Philup

14 May 2020

Creativemind wrote:
09 May 2020
In Reason, the rack cabinet sounds a great idea. Not sure what you mean by slightly fade out devices not in the signal chain though?
If I am working on routing and tweaking in the rack, it would be nice to have a key command to [alt -"?"] on a device so that all of the devices that are connected with either Audio or CV are pronounced in the rack regardless of where they are sitting in the rack. While any devices that are not connected to the selected device are faded or de-saturated as it were.

This would be easier to see what is going on instead of hitting alt tab and chasing wires to try and remember what I connected to what 2 months ago.

chimp_spanner

14 May 2020

At the most basic I would settle for folders in the arranger only. Being able to move entire sections of large songs around without having to do loooong vertical drags would make arranging so much easier. It'd also facilitate writing drum parts with audio in the sequencer and then moving them around as a Folder Clip (see Cubase for this behaviour). It's at the very top of my wishlist.

Having a rack component is tricky as you can place devices in different columns and I don't think that's something people would wanna sacrifice.

Auto sync device order in all three views would be great too, and I'm sure it'd work well in tandem with folders. So if you drag a bunch of instruments into a folder, at least they'll all be next to each other in the arranger and mixer.

Creativemind

17 May 2020

chimp_spanner wrote:
14 May 2020
At the most basic I would settle for folders in the arranger only. Being able to move entire sections of large songs around without having to do loooong vertical drags would make arranging so much easier. It'd also facilitate writing drum parts with audio in the sequencer and then moving them around as a Folder Clip (see Cubase for this behaviour). It's at the very top of my wishlist.

Having a rack component is tricky as you can place devices in different columns and I don't think that's something people would wanna sacrifice.

Auto sync device order in all three views would be great too, and I'm sure it'd work well in tandem with folders. So if you drag a bunch of instruments into a folder, at least they'll all be next to each other in the arranger and mixer.
Very good ideas. ;)

• Information