Thor 2 & Combinator 2

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
HeresJohnny312

28 Feb 2020

If Reason devs updated Thor 2 to have more effects (reverb maybe compressor different distortion and eq) plus more wave tables and analog osc wave forms plus gui update and massive factory soundbank update I think it would be a game changer. A combi 2 with 8 macro knobs 8 buttons and sliders along with an y x pad and maybe a stock spectrum analyzer would make other daw users jealous, the type of combis would rival kontakt instruments in my opinion!

xboix

28 Feb 2020

I probably wouldn't use an expanded combinator but I know many who would and I would be in favour of such a thing.

I can't get excited by Thor 2 though. There are already loads of great synths at our fingertips.

chaosroyale

28 Feb 2020

Combinator 2 has been the single most requested device for the last (checks watch) ten years. The devs obviously know about that and don't think it's important enough. Don't hold your breath.

Spaceship

28 Feb 2020

Thor 2 and Combinator 2 would be awesome! I’d add Scream 5 as well.

chaosroyale

29 Feb 2020

I absolutely agree with you but it won't happen because the Reason Studios policy is to create a museum filled with hundreds of abandoned, outdated devices, instead of 20 properly updated ones.
Spaceship wrote:
28 Feb 2020
Thor 2 and Combinator 2 would be awesome! I’d add Scream 5 as well.

Creativemind

29 Feb 2020

Thor 2 would be superb if they add everything I've said in a previous thread lol!
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

TheDragonborg

29 Feb 2020

Wait... there's a Thor 2? Eh whatever... lol

Aosta

29 Feb 2020

We have been waiting for an expanded 'combinator 2 ' for absolutely years so I'm not holding out much hope but you know, sometimes hell freezes over
Tend the flame

Creativemind

02 Mar 2020

This was my design for a Thor 2 back in 2016.

The top right has 4 fx - Delay, Chorus, Reverb and EQ (but are not labelled right on the pic) and it also needs compression. Maybe have 4, then you can toggle it to another 4. So Delay, Chorus, Reverb, Exciter to Phaser, Flanger, EQ, Compression. Then we have distortion / saturation with the shapes and unison voice spread in the other places.

I should have added a toggle button on both filters (top right of the filter boxes) to toggle between linear and exponential envelopes but as you can see from the filter display to the left of those it's exponential.
Attachments
Thor2.4.jpg
Thor2.4.jpg (161.88 KiB) Viewed 6252 times

loopeydoug

02 Mar 2020

chaosroyale wrote:
28 Feb 2020
Combinator 2 has been the single most requested device for the last (checks watch) ten years. The devs obviously know about that and don't think it's important enough. Don't hold your breath.
It's been so long that I've stopped caring.

Creativemind

02 Mar 2020

loopeydoug wrote:
02 Mar 2020
chaosroyale wrote:
28 Feb 2020
It's been so long that I've stopped caring.
:lol:

It's been 10 years at least hasn't it?

As for that Thor 2 idea of mine. Just thought of an even better idea for effects. What about just keeping the 3 effects it already has (Delay, Chorus and the Shaper) and then have a toggle button top right of the main interface which toggles to a blank slot. Then you can drag (from the browser) any effect (native Reason one) to that slot and it will add it, with the ability to add about 5 of those, actually 6 lol! So you could drag in an RV-7000mkII, any of the M-Class Effects, Audiomatic, Scream 4, DDL-1 etc. Imagine being able to drag Quartet Chorus Ensemble or Sweeper into Thor!!

However, to use the effects (as the slot would be too small), double click the slot where the effect is and they pop out in a separate window to adjust and then you double click it to put it back in and maybe if you start to scroll the rack or scroll off the screen or start working on another device it automatically goes back in but maybe have "keep open" option? just an idea.

Creativemind

02 Mar 2020

They should update the devices In Reason in the order they were released.

Subtractor (Reason 1)
NN-XT (Reason 2)
Combinator (Reason 3)
Thor (Reason 4)
Kong (Reason 6)
The Echo (Reason 6)
Scream 4 (Reason 6)
EMI (Reason 7)
Scales and Chords (Reason 9)

They should also add a Reason Studio's made Multiband Compressor, Waveshaper, Transient Shaper, Exciter and Clip Distortion (or have the GVXT G-Clip free in Reason.)

thx

02 Mar 2020

chaosroyale wrote:
29 Feb 2020
I absolutely agree with you but it won't happen because the Reason Studios policy is to create a museum filled with hundreds of abandoned, outdated devices, instead of 20 properly updated ones.
(Lol) Yes. I was going to say the combinator came from an era (Reason 3) when Reason was a construction kit and users would 'roll their own'. Whereas nowadays it's largely marketing driven, pre-packaged commodities.

chaosroyale

02 Mar 2020

You can already use any Reason synth with any Reason FX tho? What advantage do you get "importing" the FX with a tiny UI and then having to "pop" them out, instead of just using the FX unit in the rack with the full size UI?
Creativemind wrote:
02 Mar 2020

As for that Thor 2 idea of mine. Just thought of an even better idea for effects. What about just keeping the 3 effects it already has (Delay, Chorus and the Shaper) and then have a toggle button top right of the main interface which toggles to a blank slot. Then you can drag (from the browser) any effect (native Reason one) to that slot and it will add it, with the ability to add about 5 of those, actually 6 lol! So you could drag in an RV-7000mkII, any of the M-Class Effects, Audiomatic, Scream 4, DDL-1 etc. Imagine being able to drag Quartet Chorus Ensemble or Sweeper into Thor!!

However, to use the effects (as the slot would be too small), double click the slot where the effect is and they pop out in a separate window to adjust and then you double click it to put it back in and maybe if you start to scroll the rack or scroll off the screen or start working on another device it automatically goes back in but maybe have "keep open" option? just an idea.

TheDragonborg

02 Mar 2020

Creativemind wrote:
02 Mar 2020

Subtractor (Reason 1)
NN-XT (Reason 2)
Combinator (Reason 3)
Thor (Reason 4)
Kong (Reason 6)
The Echo (Reason 6)
Scream 4 (Reason 6)
EMI (Reason 7)

They should also add a Reason Studio's made Multiband Compressor, Waveshaper, Transient Shaper, Exciter and Clip Distortion (or have the GVXT G-Clip free in Reason.)
Uh Scream 4 was not added in Reason 6... I used it heavily in Reason 4... Kong was added in Reason 5... along with Pulverizer...

chaosroyale

02 Mar 2020

Yeah, I liked (still do like) Reason because it is a "construction kit". I like devices that focus on doing one thing really well and have enough inputs and outputs so you can build amazing combinators. I hate all-in-a-box preset machines/romplers.

Reason Studios seem to be caught half-way between two opposing visions of Reason. Is it a quick-and-easy collection of preset synths and toy EDM drum machines, with each sound made in-the-box and limited programming options?? Or is it a "sound designers dream" where you send many different outputs from your synths and samplers into complex fx chains, submixes, and loopbacks??

Those are two very different approaches; it may be possible to do both, but the last couple of versions seem to have shifted towards the "preset fun box" approach, despite the potential of things like grain and sweeper.
thx wrote:
02 Mar 2020
chaosroyale wrote:
29 Feb 2020
(Lol) Yes. I was going to say the combinator came from an era (Reason 3) when Reason was a construction kit and users would 'roll their own'. Whereas nowadays it's largely marketing driven, pre-packaged commodities.

Aosta

02 Mar 2020

The combinator was and still is IMO one of the most useful modules in the entire program, you can pretty much build anything using it and it is a shame it wasn't developed further as Reason grew.
Tend the flame

Creativemind

02 Mar 2020

chaosroyale wrote:
02 Mar 2020
You can already use any Reason synth with any Reason FX tho? What advantage do you get "importing" the FX with a tiny UI and then having to "pop" them out, instead of just using the FX unit in the rack with the full size UI?
Thought someone might say that. 3 reasons:-

1) It would be in the signal chain within Thor before the master output.
2) Convenience.
3) Tidyness.

Creativemind

02 Mar 2020

TheDragonborg wrote:
02 Mar 2020
Creativemind wrote:
02 Mar 2020

Subtractor (Reason 1)
NN-XT (Reason 2)
Combinator (Reason 3)
Thor (Reason 4)
Kong (Reason 6)
The Echo (Reason 6)
Scream 4 (Reason 6)
EMI (Reason 7)

Uh Scream 4 was not added in Reason 6... I used it heavily in Reason 4... Kong was added in Reason 5... along with Pulverizer...
Sorry I sit corrected.

Arjanders

02 Mar 2020

IF I had to choose, I only would go for the combinator 2.

zoidkirb

02 Mar 2020

Reason needs combinator 2 but Thor 2 not so much.
But if there was a Thor 2 I'd like to see a complete re write and not just the same thing exactly with extra bits .
I think Thor's main strength was always modulation and I think that could be built on with modern editable envelopes and lfos, some further refinement/expansion on its step sequencers, and drag and drop modulation (maybe even complex-1 style front cables?)
And then of course some fresh oscillators, filters and fx.
Maybe they could do something with one of Thor's other strengths, audio input. I dunno maybe a band splitter on input, or different ways to do stuff with audio and oscillators....Maybe something granular?

xboix

02 Mar 2020

chaosroyale wrote:
29 Feb 2020
There is no such thing as an outdated synth. Subtractor is still very, very relevant today.

These days we don't need more synths. We just need more time.

chaosroyale

02 Mar 2020

Subtractor is a great little synth, I use it a lot (it would be even better if it had a wider selection of filters and maybe anti-aliasing). Malstrom is a really cool instrument. NN-XT is completely outdated. NN-19 is completely outdated. The half rack fx should be retired. The MClass is terribly outdated. The romplers always sounded cheesy and bad and will only seem to get worse as sample libraries continue to improve. Instead of upgrading kong and redrum they simply added more and more drum machines, none of which is cutting edge. etc.

I agree we don't need "more" synths, that's exactly my point.
xboix wrote:
02 Mar 2020
chaosroyale wrote:
29 Feb 2020
There is no such thing as an outdated synth. Subtractor is still very, very relevant today.

Creativemind

02 Mar 2020

chaosroyale wrote:
02 Mar 2020
Subtractor is a great little synth, I use it a lot (it would be even better if it had a wider selection of filters and maybe anti-aliasing). Malstrom is a really cool instrument. NN-XT is completely outdated. NN-19 is completely outdated. The half rack fx should be retired. The MClass is terribly outdated. The romplers always sounded cheesy and bad and will only seem to get worse as sample libraries continue to improve. Instead of upgrading kong and redrum they simply added more and more drum machines, none of which is cutting edge. etc.

I agree we don't need "more" synths, that's exactly my point.
xboix wrote:
02 Mar 2020

So where is the aliasing on Subtractor?

TheDragonborg

02 Mar 2020

NN-XT is still very useful and very much like a vintage sampler in it's function... sure having some options on the quality of it's playback would be a great addition though... wish it had a 12bit mode...

You need to treat NN-XT as a sampler and not a rompler...

• Information