Core Daw Improvement Requests - A

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.

What is important to you? 2 votes

4K display
28%
Faster GUI refresh rate
20%
Gesture support
3%
Video support
14%
Faster browser search
34%

Total votes: 120

Re8et
Competition Winner

06 Mar 2020

It's all fine except if this was optional and not definitive, as it would break slower laptop workflow probably.

EdwardKiy

14 Mar 2020

WHAT THE HELL GUYS

Nobody wants gesture control? That's like a whole new dimension of control... You can't be serious.

Consider this (just off the top of my head):

hold shift and clickandhold (left, right or mousewheel - take your pick) anywhere on the sequencer screen.

Now tug left or right = horizontal zoom, tug up or down = vertical zoom. BOOM! Now you have full double-axis zoom control in a single swipe, instead of having to operate a castle draw-bridge to get there with 2 keys and a mouse wheel.

That's just one example. I have more.

Faster browser search is a question of hardware optimization, it's not even a feature. WHAT THE HELL.

joeyluck

14 Mar 2020

EdwardKiy wrote:
14 Mar 2020
WHAT THE HELL GUYS

Nobody wants gesture control? That's like a whole new dimension of control... You can't be serious.

Consider this (just off the top of my head):

hold shift and clickandhold (left, right or mousewheel - take your pick) anywhere on the sequencer screen.

Now tug left or right = horizontal zoom, tug up or down = vertical zoom. BOOM! Now you have full double-axis zoom control in a single swipe, instead of having to operate a castle draw-bridge to get there with 2 keys and a mouse wheel.
I'm trying to follow what you're suggesting here. Is this for the Sequencer?

On Mac, I press Command and with two fingers on the trackpad I can swipe in any direction. Up/down to zoom vertically and left/right to zoom horizontally. And also of course swipe in any combination of directions to adjust zoom for both vertical and horizontal. Is that what you mean?

EdwardKiy

14 Mar 2020

joeyluck wrote:
14 Mar 2020

On Mac, I press Command and with two fingers on the trackpad I can swipe in any direction. Up/down to zoom vertically and left/right to zoom horizontally. And also of course swipe in any combination of directions to adjust zoom for both vertical and horizontal. Is that what you mean?
Yes, the sequencer. And yes, it's precisely what you mentioned only for a desktop computer and a mouse.

And it shouldn't stop there. You could then hold the wheel or right mouse button down and swipe sideways to move your sequencer focus (not what you selected, but what you see) horizontally.

joeyluck

14 Mar 2020

EdwardKiy wrote:
14 Mar 2020
joeyluck wrote:
14 Mar 2020

Yes, the sequencer. And yes, it's precisely what you mentioned only for a desktop computer and a mouse.

And it shouldn't stop there. You could then hold the wheel or right mouse button down and swipe sideways to move your sequencer focus (not what you selected, but what you see) horizontally.
Have you considered a trackpad? They aren't just found on laptops. Or something like the Apple Magic Mouse? I mean, why work with old standards in hardware when improvements have been made with things like multi-touch trackpads and mice...

The other advantages are simple things like swiping around to navigate the Rack freely...Grabbing a cable and being able to scroll from extreme ends of the rack instantly with a quick swipe like you do in a web browser on your phone. It makes a world of difference.

Not that new features can't be added to accommodate a standard mouse. But I mean, the experience is never going to be as good and efficient as a trackpad or magic mouse IMO.

EdwardKiy

15 Mar 2020

joeyluck wrote:
14 Mar 2020

Have you considered a trackpad? They aren't just found on laptops.
Trackpad does not and cannot replace a mouse, not even a basic 800 DPi one, because it can either have precision without speed, or speed without precision, neither of which remotely as good as what you'll have with a mouse. Having to lift my hands from either a keyboard or a mouse to do something as simple as a zoom defeats the purpose of workflow optimization.
joeyluck wrote:
14 Mar 2020
Or something like the Apple Magic Mouse? I mean, why work with old standards in hardware when improvements have been made with things like multi-touch trackpads and mice...
I have a pretty decent 6400 Dpi Razer mouse that makes the Apple Magic Mouse feel like a piece of junk in my hand, both tactile and responsiveness. That would be a step backwards, not forward.
joeyluck wrote:
14 Mar 2020
Not that new features can't be added to accommodate a standard mouse.
THIS!
joeyluck wrote:
14 Mar 2020
But I mean, the experience is never going to be as good and efficient as a trackpad or magic mouse IMO.
Of course it will. It is in other DAWs. And it's a very basic feature to have.

gullum

15 Mar 2020

EdwardKiy wrote:
15 Mar 2020
Trackpad does not and cannot replace a mouse, not even a basic 800 DPi one, because it can either have precision without speed, or speed without precision, neither of which remotely as good as what you'll have with a mouse. Having to lift my hands from either a keyboard or a mouse to do something as simple as a zoom defeats the purpose of workflow optimization.

I have a pretty decent 6400 Dpi Razer mouse that makes the Apple Magic Mouse feel like a piece of junk in my hand, both tactile and responsiveness. That would be a step backwards, not forward.
So you ask for a solution but you don't want a solution or the solution feels like junk. You can use a trackpad and mouse on same computer. The solution with a mouse that can do what you want how is that a step backwards when what you have can't do it?

Creativemind

15 Mar 2020

Was gonna ask what Gesture Support is. A little look on You Tube, I found this:-

So Gesture Support means touch screen support?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

EdwardKiy

15 Mar 2020

Creativemind wrote:
15 Mar 2020
Was gonna ask what Gesture Support is. A little look on You Tube, I found this:-

So Gesture Support means touch screen support?
Your video is a very advanced example of touchpad gesture support, but it doesn't have to be touchpad, or trackpad. You can have gestures with a simple mouse. Could I ask you to please read up and tell me if I'm crazy asking for those.

EDIT: sorry, I took it to the main post here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7516216&start=25

On top of those I mentioned, here's also a 7-y.o video of a guy making some more for himself with StrokesPlus in Live. Most of these are obsolete for Reason, but the point is they can be anything.

https://youtu.be/Co_EtTZv8DQ?t=4

So far three people basically told me to not be stupid and buy additional hardware as a fix. This was news to me, but at least a backwards solution is there. So I will probably have to :? But am I too wrong to want them with a mouse? Wouldn't this be a massive workflow improvement benefiting every user?

gullum

15 Mar 2020

EdwardKiy wrote:
15 Mar 2020
Wouldn't this be a massive workflow improvement benefiting every user?
not if I would need to buy a mouse to do it :D

xboix

15 Mar 2020

So the GUI is the thing most complained about but it seems to be just beaten by the need for a better browser.

EdwardKiy

15 Mar 2020

gullum wrote:
15 Mar 2020
EdwardKiy wrote:
15 Mar 2020
Wouldn't this be a massive workflow improvement benefiting every user?
not if I would need to buy a mouse to do it :D
yes, please ignore everything I've said and tell me to buy a special mouse or another DAW to get the basic workflow right. And if I want a synth update, I should probably just buy a moog.

I'm only in this rant because I had friends come over with Live and Cubase, and we compared the basic workflow features. It was not a nice experience to find out that it is behind in most of these (but not all!). I don't think Reason has to beat them all - it doesn't have to and there are a lot of things going for it, despite what my friends think, but objectively, workflow isn't one of them. I'm trying to pinpoint the biggest missing chunks to make Reason king and to me navigation is one of them, because every user does it thousands of times in every project. It's also a thing other DAW users wag their finger at because it's so obvious, so if you take this away from them, Reason becomes more sell-able.

To navigate at the same speed as Live, Reason requires you (provided you learned how to do it) to have at least 40% more apm to do the exact same thing and that should tell you something.

This is a Core Daw Improvement Requests thread, and this is my request.

Edit: apm = actions per minute

gullum

15 Mar 2020

EdwardKiy wrote:
15 Mar 2020
This is a Core Daw Improvement Requests thread, and this is my request.
sorry I did not mean to offend you in any way was only stating that there were solutions (hardware) and they are the only once right now unless they implant your request

Creativemind

15 Mar 2020

Another big missing chunk in speeding things up would be aliased / linked clips. I know I keep harping on about that but it's been my number 1 want since using it in FL Studio 4yrs ago. Also manual parameter inputs with copy and paste, undo history, better clip behaviour in the sequencer, getting rid of the arrows off the notes in the midi editor (due to the time spent zooming in and out to grab notes quite often) and sync'ing the browsers and windows on the fly. Those 8 features + yours would speed things up immeasurably.

EdwardKiy

15 Mar 2020

gullum wrote:
15 Mar 2020
they are the only once right now unless they implant your request
Thanks, none taken.

EdwardKiy

15 Mar 2020

Creativemind wrote:
15 Mar 2020
Another big missing chunk in speeding things up would be aliased / linked clips. I know I keep harping on about that but it's been my number 1 want since using it in FL Studio 4yrs ago. Also manual parameter inputs with copy and paste, undo history, better clip behaviour in the sequencer, getting rid of the arrows off the notes in the midi editor (due to the time spent zooming in and out to grab notes quite often) and sync'ing the browsers and windows on the fly. Those 8 features + yours would speed things up immeasurably.
I found out on this forum that some of the features that I wanted were already there, like the rectangle slice (doh). However, they are not intuitive to learn, to say the least.

Just to check, by aliased links, you don't mean the Blocks mode option where you can edit one bit and it automatically edits all the others? Nor the comp mode? Or maybe this? https://youtu.be/3ZHpPNfquoQ

Creativemind

16 Mar 2020

EdwardKiy wrote:
15 Mar 2020
Creativemind wrote:
15 Mar 2020
I found out on this forum that some of the features that I wanted were already there, like the rectangle slice (doh). However, they are not intuitive to learn, to say the least.

Just to check, by aliased links, you don't mean the Blocks mode option where you can edit one bit and it automatically edits all the others? Nor the comp mode? Or maybe this? https://youtu.be/3ZHpPNfquoQ
Aliased / Linked Clips is like Blocks yeah, only you have to use Blocks to do it that way. I'm talking about when you're in song mode. The clips in the track are aliased or linked. In other words, when you copy a clip, it won't be a unique copy, it will be an aliased or linked copy. So the clip will remember the labelling, the colour and all the midi information contained within it. So then change any of the 3 pieces of information in any clip and that bit of info changes in all the aliased / linked clips.

No it's not Comp Mode or Multi-Lane Edit which is what that guy is referring to in the video. Kind of annoying he isn't calling it by it's correct name in the video and referring to it as Ghost Lanes.

moneykube

16 Mar 2020

torn between video support and updated resolution of program... doesn't need to be 4k... But bring it out of the 80's resolution mode PLEASE .... I would really love to read the small writing in focus... hard on old eyes ... gives me a head ache and eye strain. With video support my need for rewire would be gone just like it is gone in reason 11....why do they promise backwards compatibility ... and then remove things around since the beginning? Don't blame the coding... you wrote it... if that is the issue... simple ... FIX IT... Keep your promises that enticed people to support you for many years... yes new terms seem to have made a loop hole in your previous mission statements... still... have some integrity instead of dropping your vision for pathetic money grabs.
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

• Information