Custom channel EQ and Compressor

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
Busta US

23 Dec 2019

Imagine being able to choose the EQ you'd like to use on your Mix Channel. Reason's EQ has so much potential to evolve but IMPO nothing beats fabfilter's EQ.

How great would it be to click the EQ icon on the right of the Mix Channel in the Rack Section and have FabFilter open or your fav EQ instead of Reason's.

In the Mixer section it can pop-up for tweaking just like a VST would in the rack.

Same for the compressor and would also be nice to have a compressor button on the Mix Channel in the rack just like for the EQ

I wouldn't say no for the same customization for the Bus Compressor.

Just a thought..

selig
RE Developer

23 Dec 2019

Pro Tools allows you to set a favorite EQ and Compressor for quicker access to those two common function, but it also doesn't have a built in mixer channel like Reason. But I could see how setting a favorite EQ/Compressor as an alternate (for when the SSL doesn't cut it) would be a time saver.
Since the SSL was introduced to Reason, folks have been asking for different console models, so one could choose a Neve EQ for one channel, SSL for another, API for a third etc. But there are issues with the UI (how to fit bigger EQs into the existing space, etc) and since REs were introduced (and now VSTs), there's little benefit to adding this to the mixer itself IMO.
That being said, the SSL EQ and dynamics are still GREAT console (general purpose) devices. Sometimes all you need is to filter some lows, and boost a little highs, and the SSL is fantastic (and super quick) for that. And even though I've built compressors and EQs myself (for Selig Audio), they've always been designed to be a supplement to the existent channel EQ/dynamics rather than a full replacement. Just like with a real console, when the built in EQ doesn't cut it you plug one in from the rack - Reason works on the same concept, which makes sense to us old-timers who are used to working that way but maybe not so much for the younger generation.
Selig Audio, LLC

Busta US

23 Dec 2019

selig wrote:
23 Dec 2019
Pro Tools allows you to set a favorite EQ and Compressor for quicker access to those two common function, but it also doesn't have a built in mixer channel like Reason. But I could see how setting a favorite EQ/Compressor as an alternate (for when the SSL doesn't cut it) would be a time saver.
Since the SSL was introduced to Reason, folks have been asking for different console models, so one could choose a Neve EQ for one channel, SSL for another, API for a third etc. But there are issues with the UI (how to fit bigger EQs into the existing space, etc) and since REs were introduced (and now VSTs), there's little benefit to adding this to the mixer itself IMO.
That being said, the SSL EQ and dynamics are still GREAT console (general purpose) devices. Sometimes all you need is to filter some lows, and boost a little highs, and the SSL is fantastic (and super quick) for that. And even though I've built compressors and EQs myself (for Selig Audio), they've always been designed to be a supplement to the existent channel EQ/dynamics rather than a full replacement. Just like with a real console, when the built in EQ doesn't cut it you plug one in from the rack - Reason works on the same concept, which makes sense to us old-timers who are used to working that way but maybe not so much for the younger generation.
I wish the EQ has more bands with more precise/tighter Qs, and I wish there is a more visual compressor and an easier/faster way to sidechain. Would also be nice as I said to have a compressor on every Mix Channel just like the EQ. I see what you mean about getting used to Reason's interface. I'm sure I'll get my head around it.

orthodox
RE Developer

23 Dec 2019

To me, the SSL-style Reason console is just inconvenient. That colored checkerboard of knobs is unreadable. It can be justified in case of real world SSL console, but GUI should allow for more. Other DAWs can display graphic EQ thumbnails, for instance.

I wish the console strip GUI could be assembled from custom UI blocks provided by devices sitting inside the channel insert FX combi. Just another strip-sized mini-GUI exposed by some of them, in addition to their rack view. There could be also a special kind of devices, strip control panels, which would only add a set of control sources to the combinator matrix.

Loque

23 Dec 2019

This was asked quite often, but i dont see much use of it. I have my favorite devices in the insert or connected past a device and they are quickly accessible. And often i want a different EQ or compressor for a different task. I just would like too see a faster way to find the right device.
Reason12, Win10

• Information