Sequencer bar numbering

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
Teknolab

29 Oct 2019

Wouldn't it be nice if we could shift the bar numbers?

Personally I would prefer the counting to start at zero, so 16-bar blocks would run from the numbers 0 to 16, 16 to 32, etc. If the value could be set by the user, one could also set for example -1 to accomodate 1 pre-bar that has some lead-up FX or whatever. For a moment I thought this must be my programmer way of thinking, bet then I realized we all use rulers in school, which nicely start at 0.

DParris

30 Oct 2019

Teknolab wrote:
29 Oct 2019

Personally I would prefer the counting to start at zero, so 16-bar blocks would run from the numbers 0 to 16, 16 to 32, etc. If the value could be set by the user, one could also set for example -1 to accomodate 1 pre-bar that has some lead-up FX or whatever. For a moment I thought this must be my programmer way of thinking, bet then I realized we all use rulers in school, which nicely start at 0.

That would be great. I'm working on a recording project with some classical musicians, and we often need to refer to bar numbers in their pats. I've got my transports all mapped out to match the tempo and time signature changes in the scores, but to make the recording and editing process easier I decided to add a bit of empty space between the major formal sections of the piece. The best solution I could come up with was to lengthen the time signatures by a few beats (i.e. changing a 3/4 bar into 6/4) at the start of a new tempo. That way the bar numbers in the project match what the players see in their parts, and if they say "let's try bar 61 again," I can find it easily. The compromise is that I see different time signatures than they do, and I need to remember which long bars are actually in the score and which are there to create space.
It would be awesome to add in un-numbered "buffer bars."
If there's already a way to do this, someone please let me know!

xboix

31 Oct 2019

Teknolab wrote:
29 Oct 2019

It would be fairly easy for them to have an option to switch to zero-based bar numbering but I don't think it is something that any other DAW offers and in music notation the first bar is always bar one.

Closest you could get at the moment is to use the block track and make one block per bar but would drive you nuts for anything but the shortest song!

• Information