We need a new sampler

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
samp

24 Oct 2019

Can we please get a sampler in Reason with the abilty to drag a wav file from our desktop or directly record into it and be able to chop the waveform up right there. Listen i love reason and i know there is already a sample editor but its a workflow distraction to keep opening a seperate window. We need a nnxt upgrade with waveform editing right there with the ability to move transient markers around etc and chop as we please.

EnochLight

24 Oct 2019

samp wrote:
24 Oct 2019
Can we please get a sampler in Reason with the abilty to drag a wav file from our desktop or directly record into it and be able to chop the waveform up right there. Listen i love reason and i know there is already a sample editor but its a workflow distraction to keep opening a seperate window. We need a nnxt upgrade with waveform editing right there with the ability to move transient markers around etc and chop as we please.
I'm sort of in agreement with you, but taking into consideration we just got a new sampler (Grain) with Reason 10, and it still handles everything just like it does on all of the other samplers, I doubt we'll ever see a drastic change in how sampling is handled in Reason.

Also, since your proposal would limit a sample/waveform editing "right there" - do you mean inside the rack device GUI/UX? Because the current (although basic) sample editing window can be resized full screen, which is absolutely an issue when editing stuff on a rack-device limited GUI/UX...
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

samp

24 Oct 2019

EnochLight wrote:
24 Oct 2019
samp wrote:
24 Oct 2019

I'm sort of in agreement with you, but taking into consideration we just got a new sampler (Grain) with Reason 10, and it still handles everything just like it does on all of the other samplers, I doubt we'll ever see a drastic change in how sampling is handled in Reason.

Also, since your proposal would limit a sample/waveform editing "right there" - do you mean inside the rack device GUI/UX? Because the current (although basic) sample editing window can be resized full screen, which is absolutely an issue when editing stuff on a rack-device limited GUI/UX...
Thanks - yes waveform editing right in the rack gui. Like for instance a rack that would look like recycle would be perfect.

samp

24 Oct 2019

It could look exactly like Grain but without the extras. Just simple with transient markers that we can move around and adjust and play back our chops on a midi controller.

aeox
Competition Winner

24 Oct 2019

samp wrote:
24 Oct 2019
It could look exactly like Grain but without the extras. Just simple with transient markers that we can move around and adjust and play back our chops on a midi controller.
You can use dr octo rex.

Do all your transient marker arranging in the Reason sequencer Slice Edit, then highlight all the markers, right click and bounce to rex loop

samp

24 Oct 2019

aeox wrote:
24 Oct 2019
samp wrote:
24 Oct 2019
You can use dr octo rex.

Do all your transient marker arranging in the Reason sequencer Slice Edit, then highlight all the markers, right click and bounce to rex loop
Thanks, i know that is all possible. I just want a sampler in the rack that has waveform transient editing baked into the rack. I know there are tons of workarounds but that is what i am trying to avoid.

EnochLight

24 Oct 2019

samp wrote:
24 Oct 2019
Thanks - yes waveform editing right in the rack gui. Like for instance a rack that would look like recycle would be perfect.
I guess for quick editing that's basic, sure, but the rack device size makes serious sample editing just impossible IMHO (it's just way too small to be effective, for my tastes). I need my sample editing window full screen so I can see those zero crossfades and zoom in super detailed.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Oquasec

24 Oct 2019

Reason has given us that already with about 8 stock devices and rack extensions.
But they do not function 100% like recycle or slicex :]
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

teddymcw

24 Oct 2019

tl:dr; not having a dedicated 'simpler' like instrument is not in accordance with everything else Reason has been doing for a long time.

I'd absolutely agree with the question 'why the heck doesn't Reason include an updated sampler?' for precisely the reasons you've stated, plus it would go so well with appealing to newer producers you want ease of use in their productions a la ableton's simpler.

The dedicated sampler's we have now are seemingly deliberately pretty ugly imho as well.

Their mission statement that goes something to the tune of making music fun and accessible, and again the sampler stuff goes against that, and the fun quick workflow we love, which is a little frustrating.

Yonatan

25 Oct 2019

RS are very busy making shop toys for the boys instead of buliding a "blow your mind audio workstation" foundation. For me, its ok doing both, but now all shortcomings inside the core DAW, the sequenser and stock devices (tiny view in the rack), are made into many players and RE romplers, 99 each. Then bundle madness. "Wake me up when things are over, when I am wiser and older." :)
R12 will be the final crossroad to see if RS given the old DAW to the corps or really understand the value of making the core a solid ground in the 2020's music making. That said with an empty belly, I do realize that it takes more considerations and a lot of contemplations when updating the core devices and interface and workflow. So as always with Reason´s plans, I hope it is much more betterments in the pipeline ahead. "How will we most effectively meet the new needs of the 2020´s, while still having the same DAW..."

One dilemma is the tiny interface, both in mixer, the rack and the sequencer. It feels so tiresome to work with. As an example, if same devices are made more clearer or controlled on ipad, it suddenly feels afresh as all the hidden gems in Reason comes to the surface greeting the user. The laptop version of tiny crowded interfaces, makes a lot of tasks less inspiring. So RS have to sooner or later fix this issue that concerns every window. One way is to redesign the whole platform. Another would be to sidestep that way by allowing another "layer" or focus window from most devices that takes one into an magnified, simplified workspace square where it is more intuitive and also more precise. Simpel in the way that it gets out of the "look of a real rack device", and so allow for faster focus on functions to do. Those "extra" popup windows that one can choose to show up when working, could be more simple interface but have added more advanced functions (updated/expanded) than working in the original "look alike" interface in the rack. That way they keep the original backwards compability and familiarity but solve the complaint of the restrictions that the old look gives, and makes the new optional bigger interface include steady betterments that makes the demanding sound designer and modern producer happy. One can still use the ordinary rack devices look as is, and maybe zoom in with computer commands, but if having more daunting tasks or tweaking live or working side by side with a co-producer or artist, a new interface window would be wonderful.

So, I can see some procrastination with the Reason DAW to do with "how do we best update the devices". I think some kind of "best of two worlds" approach will have to be used. For, one drawback with updating the devices while keeping their look or having to invent new looks of the devices, is that it is a long road to walk and people will be hypercritical to give new shells. Instead, make all glue together by having optimized interface window that basically have the same user friendly layout all over, and add more functions there when wanting to update them. That way, updates would probably be easier to make without having to modify each rack device every time. And make same template layout window function be available for RE developers too, where they can add more features if they so like without changing the look of the RE every time.Then if each window want to have some mild color that reminds of which RE they display, it would be a help, but basically as streamlined as possible.
Then Reason gets a bit into the kind of advantage Ableton Live has where all looks almost the same, which makes for faster focus on functions.

Reason has this nice retro style and we have come to love that feel to it, but we also want the devices to be easier to develop or getting new functions along the road, while maintaining the simplicity. Many arguments from RS when demands of new features are displayed, is that they "don´t want to make it too much so that the simplicity gets lost." This riddle they will have to solve, or there will be no more evolution of Reason.
They have to find some way to keep the simple way but still being able to steadily add more value and functionality. Hidden windows might be one way to bypass some of these issues. Might be other ways too. The feeling I get from RS lately is just this "oh, no, don´t touch the core DAW, what if it fall apart! Safer to just make RE and Players". As if Reason is a finished piece of art that is best to leave as is. But that will have to change someway, or it will go to the grave. I want to see next evolution of Reason. I can wait if only knows this is what takes some time to find out and implement. Reason made a jump before when fused with Record. It can happen again and again.

• Information