Crash control !

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
RandyEspoda

26 Sep 2019

We need a crash control function that restores a session after a crash or unexpected shutdown.

Waveform 10 f.e. has one that works extremely well. Stuff like this is what 'needs' to be implemented above all else FIRST.

boingy

26 Sep 2019

Nope. We need it not to crash or unexpectantly shutdown. Reason has always been good at that.

aeox
Competition Winner

26 Sep 2019

Reason.. crash? Never heard of that :D

Loque

26 Sep 2019

boingy wrote:
26 Sep 2019
Nope. We need it not to crash or unexpectantly shutdown. Reason has always been good at that.
This. 1000 times this.
Reason12, Win10

RandyEspoda

28 Sep 2019

Since vsts have been added, unfortunately the 'no crash' policy is no longer unconditionally applicable ... :/

So again, we 'do' need some form of recovery in the event of a crash. Any plugin can crash the system which can
destroy part of a session by not perpetually pressing ctrl+S like a nutter...Reason needs a buffer and restoration process to
encapsulate those events. Even Waveform has it in its free version, and it is not that hard to implement. If they have been able to get through
that vst issue from last 10.3 update, they can surely manage to add something which is peanuts compared...

:reason:

RandyEspoda

28 Sep 2019

Or some hook that prevents the Reason software itself from crashing when a vst crashes.
Some process that isolates the failing vst before it crashes reason...

Anything along such lines is acceptable.

RandyEspoda

28 Sep 2019

Although, even still with a 'perfect' and never failing Reason, a pc or laptop can still fail for any one of a million causes, which can
unexpectedly end a Reason session with data lost. Only a full-on restore function would buffer such events and the user can be assured nothing is lost.

Reason isn't the only thing that can fail in a computer system, and when something does, it usually takes everything with it,
and data can always get corrupted and/or lost because of it.

aeox
Competition Winner

28 Sep 2019

RandyEspoda wrote:
28 Sep 2019
Since vsts have been added, unfortunately the 'no crash' policy is no longer unconditionally applicable ... :/

So again, we 'do' need some form of recovery in the event of a crash. Any plugin can crash the system which can
destroy part of a session by not perpetually pressing ctrl+S like a nutter...Reason needs a buffer and restoration process to
encapsulate those events. Even Waveform has it in its free version, and it is not that hard to implement. If they have been able to get through
that vst issue from last 10.3 update, they can surely manage to add something which is peanuts compared...

I'm one of those people who save after every parameter tweak. You never know when someone is actually going to crash into a powerline and take out the electricity :)

RandyEspoda

28 Sep 2019

aeox wrote:
28 Sep 2019
RandyEspoda wrote:
28 Sep 2019

I'm one of those people who save after every parameter tweak. You never know when someone is actually going to crash into a powerline and take out the electricity :)
I 'try' to do the same, but thus can you not 'imagine' other people having issues with that ? Are we all that much 'sunk' into our own egos that we cannot consider such issues for 'others' beyond those that would bother ourselves ? That is a bit what the first responses reflect...is that all we have become or what ?

Same thing with the browser fix I requested...all I'm getting is childish responses, some calling me the kettle black :lol:
Last visit was ages ago, and now I remember why that was... :|

Everyone can imagine how the lack of this very feature can cause much more than just a 'head ache' for users, any user really.
Those laughing it away here now above are destined to at some point experience this exact conundrum and hopefully learn from it :twisted: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

aeox
Competition Winner

28 Sep 2019

RandyEspoda wrote:
28 Sep 2019
aeox wrote:
28 Sep 2019

I 'try' to do the same, but thus can you not 'imagine' other people having issues with that ? Are we all that much 'sunk' into our own egos that we cannot consider such issues for 'others' beyond those that would bother ourselves ? That is a bit what the first responses reflect...is that all we have become or what ?

Same thing with the browser fix I requested...all I'm getting is childish responses, some calling me the kettle black :lol:
Last visit was ages ago, and now I remember why that was... :|

Everyone can imagine how the lack of this very feature can cause much more than just a 'head ache' for users, any user really.
Those laughing it away here now above are destined to at some point experience this exact conundrum and hopefully learn from it :twisted: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
My joke backfired, but that's okay.

I've had certain VST cause crashes before, I know exactly what I did to cause the crash so then I never did that again. But it never affected me because I save so often. I was just saying that it's a good practice to save A LOT! Not trying to be a childish or anything.

RandyEspoda

28 Sep 2019

aeox wrote:
28 Sep 2019

My joke backfired, but that's okay.
Oh...

I'm sorry for that :shock:
aeox wrote:
28 Sep 2019
I've had certain VST cause crashes before, I know exactly what I did to cause the crash so then I never did that again. But it never affected me because I save so often. I was just saying that it's a good practice to save A LOT! Not trying to be a childish or anything.
That's ok, and that is very true also.

I've had some instabilities before which froze the system now and then, so I understand completely what you're getting at.

gullum

28 Sep 2019

RandyEspoda wrote:
28 Sep 2019
Although, even still with a 'perfect' and never failing Reason, a pc or laptop can still fail for any one of a million causes, which can
unexpectedly end a Reason session with data lost. Only a full-on restore function would buffer such events and the user can be assured nothing is lost.

Reason isn't the only thing that can fail in a computer system, and when something does, it usually takes everything with it,
and data can always get corrupted and/or lost because of it.
and in the event of your PC crashing I don't see how Reason should handle an auto save or crash control, wouldn't Reason need access to most of the computer hardware and OS to be able to know beforehand when the system crashes?

• Information