Mixer Automation

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
Loque

02 Sep 2019

WHile i agree in general to simplify recording of multiple tracks, devices, etc - but how do you exclude a few tracks/devices/etc you do not want to record?
Reason12, Win10

friday

02 Sep 2019

is multi-select not working for the automation?

selig
RE Developer

02 Sep 2019

Edin_16 wrote:
02 Sep 2019
See, when you do the same thing with subtractor or thor, you do not have to click "edit automation" before you can record parameters. There you hit record, move the knob and it records the automation. That is how a modern automation workflow should be. Why it is not like that with the SSL Mixer ??
For any device, you only need to have the "automation record" button armed, and then you can record automation. It's no different for mixer channels as it is for Subtractor or Thor. No device requires "edit automation" before you can record automation! ;)

The main problems I usually run into is that you cannot arm automation from the rack or mixer, and if you accidentally leave the "record audio/notes" button armed you will erase over existing audio/note data when all you want is to record automation.

I have proposed two changes to address these issues. One, is to add an "automation arm" button to the Rack and Mixer view, and the second is to not require hitting the big red RECORD button when what you really want to do is to AUTOMATE.

There probably should also be a few other changes (trim mode, global automation arm, global automation suspend), but those two changes would make the automation process much more fluid IMO.
Selig Audio, LLC

diminished
Competition Winner

02 Sep 2019

I prefer recording automation to be something that you can opt-in.
It's as simple as alt-clicking on the fader and then record.
Otherwise there'd be a million cases where one accidentially overwrites existing lanes.
Or you forgot that you're still recording and adjust a few knobs on the EQ, then move over to something else. Once you hear your accidental automation you've forgotten what you initially dialed in.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

selig
RE Developer

02 Sep 2019

Edin_16 wrote:
02 Sep 2019
Hey sorry but no, for the SSL Mixer you need to create something manually the first time before you can record some automation tweaks. Other devices do not need this. But I know - if the automation lane one time is in the sequencer it has to be enabled to record.

Try the following:
1. Create Subtractor
2. assign a midi knob of your remote midi controller to ssl mixer channels volume button
3. Start turning mixer channels volume up and down via assigned midi controller knob
4. Hit record in reason and go on moving knob

You will see: nothing happens. If you do the same steps with subtractors internal volume it records automation.
I don't think you read what I posted - you're talking about Subtractor, I'm talking about the MIXER CHANNEL. They are two completely different devices, they have completely different tracks in the sequencer, and thus you MUST arm the automation for the device you want to automate before you can automate it (because automation is created in the sequencer).

What you are doing is arming SUBTRACTOR - so of course, anything you move in Subtractor will automate. Do the same for the Mixer Channel device you want to automate and everything I previously said will work.

Check it out for yourself!

Arm the automation for the mixer channel, record automation - EVERY knob and button and fader in the device/channel is completely able to be automated without restriction or any other steps involved. Works the same for Subtractor, BTW.
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

02 Sep 2019

diminished wrote:
02 Sep 2019
I prefer recording automation to be something that you can opt-in.
It's as simple as alt-clicking on the fader and then record.
Otherwise there'd be a million cases where one accidentially overwrites existing lanes.
Or you forgot that you're still recording and adjust a few knobs on the EQ, then move over to something else. Once you hear your accidental automation you've forgotten what you initially dialed in.
Unfortunately you cannot do just that with audio tracks, or you'll record over existing audio. You will also have to disable the audio record arm button. Sometimes I find it "safer" to arm tracks for automation in the sequencer so you can be sure you're not overwriting existing data in the audio or note lanes!
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

02 Sep 2019

Edin_16 wrote:
02 Sep 2019
I talked about the mixer channel but of the subtractor. If you create a subtractor, it creates a mixer channel for it, doesn't it?

And why you have to create a sequencer lane before recording automation mixer channel's volume? It makes no sense to me. Its one click to much.
That's why I mentioned the changes I'd make to the way automation is handled in Reason.

We can both speak about how we want it to work, and also how it currently works. Currently, you automate the specific device you want to automate.

Ideally I would prefer to have all data for each instrument, including all devices, all mixer channels, and any FX included in one "master" track for that device. But that's not the way Reason was designed, and it's not likely to change because it's established this way for so long now. Still, we can dream… ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

diminished
Competition Winner

02 Sep 2019

Edin_16 wrote:
02 Sep 2019
I talked about the mixer channel but of the subtractor. If you create a subtractor, it creates a mixer channel for it, doesn't it?

And why you have to create a sequencer lane before recording automation mixer channel's volume? It makes no sense to me.
The mixer channel in the Rack is the same as in the Mixer. What you see is a bridge, a visual aid, or an extension of the Mixer into the Rack if you will. I'm sure selig has better words for it. But the Mixer is its own device.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

rgdaniel

02 Sep 2019

The OP is correct, there is no automation lane for a mixer channel until you create one. It's an extra step that regular instruments (like his subtractor example) do not require. But personally, I do NOT find "right click, edit automation" to be onerous or flow-interrupting... it makes it a deliberate, opt-in activity. I suppose I do think back to the old rack mixer, when you could record automation for ALL the channels in one go, more organically, and I wondered at first why SSL can't do that... I've rationalized it to myself as the SSL way is "more surgical" or some nonsense, but mostly I just get on with it...

selig
RE Developer

02 Sep 2019

Edin_16 wrote:
02 Sep 2019
Exactly, thanks for making this point clear .D
There is one click to much when writing SSL automation .... that click did not have to be.
Although it would clutter the interface, the only current option to avoid that extra click would be for Reason to automatically add a track for the Mix Channel of every new device you create. Not sure which one is worse.

Just wish they had simplified things by keeping all related data in the same track, each in it's own separate lane. This is how they already work with audio channels, but I worry it's a totally different concept to how the creators of Reason see things.
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information